R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome vote
    Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:37am
I'm thinking of buying a R-Dome.

Can I have a show of hands from R-Dome owners who think it was a good purchase?

I know there are alternatives but I'm only interested in knowing who is happy with their purchase of an R-Dome.

thanks!
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:02am
Originally posted by geewizard

I'm thinking of buying a R-Dome. Can I have a show of hands from R-Dome owners who think it was a good purchase?

Ooooh, this is tough, very subjective and nothing is perfect!

With reservations, I like the r-dome but it polarizes people because of its great strengths and equally great weaknesses. 

The only practical solution is for you to get a less expensive stand-alone like the CLAM until you can see an r-dome for yourself 'in action' and then make up your own mind. The Pahaque side tent may also be a possibility for consideration.

Good luck!
BVK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:10am
I hope I'm not muddying the water too much with my non-vote. Our R-Dome was included with the purchase of our R-Pod, and we haven't used it at all. We certainly anticipated using it for our 2 medium-sized dogs, but alas we have yet to even pull it out of the storage bag.

I suppose that, had we paid extra for it, we might be more conscious about utilizing it. We've only been camping 5 times, so this comment isn't exactly coming from the most seasoned of R-Podders!

With the fall coming, I am curious as to whether or not anyone has success with using it as a mud-room. Weatherproofing the fabric and maintaining it seems like it could be a deal-breaker.
2012 RP-171 HRE, 2006 F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 11:57am
Absolutely get the dome. It is really the ONLY thing we miss from the Pod besides the small size. We have contemplated having one custom made for the Lance.. Really.

One of many videos on the web about erecting a R-dome.. this one happens to star... ME. LOL

Dome Video

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:16pm
We are now on our second rpod and our second rdome. We love it and would recommend using it. After you put it up twice you will love it. The first time should be in your yard. It is very versatile and will stay up in a storm.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by BVK

I hope I'm not muddying the water too much with my non-vote. Our R-Dome was included with the purchase of our R-Pod, and we haven't used it at all. We certainly anticipated using it for our 2 medium-sized dogs, but alas we have yet to even pull it out of the storage bag.

I suppose that, had we paid extra for it, we might be more conscious about utilizing it. We've only been camping 5 times, so this comment isn't exactly coming from the most seasoned of R-Podders!

With the fall coming, I am curious as to whether or not anyone has success with using it as a mud-room. Weatherproofing the fabric and maintaining it seems like it could be a deal-breaker.

I will point out.. the whole.. "never used it but give it a down vote" bothers me.. but...

Yeah it works great as a mudroom, or a screened dining area or an enclosed space for changing clothes, as a spot of shade with sides rolled up, in cool weather, setting a small heater out there makes for a great sitting out area.. etc etc. Some domers have made clear vinyl "windows", to velcro over the screen windows, and I have played some great games of dominoes in those domes when it was freezing out.

As far as maintaining it.. we never sealed it, or waterproofed it. We did twice, set it up at home, in the yard and wash it. Because we were set up under trees that were leaking gallons of sticky sap. In fact, without the dome, the whole area in front of the Pod would have been a miserable place to be on one of those campouts.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:57pm
Our used Pod came with both an R-Dome and the eyebrow shade.  We've used the latter over the last 2 years, but never the dome.  We've just never needed it.  I did set it up once and it's really nice.  Some day, I suppose, while we're camping with grand kids we may set it up if the weather is wet or something.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:11pm
Our r-dome came included with our 2011 model 177.  The first year I never used it; hey that is why we got a travel trailer, no messin' around with a tent.  However, the second year we saw one attached to a similar 177 like ours and I thought, hmm, this is a pretty neat setup so when we got home we put it up, took about 20 minutes the first time and fell in love with it.  Now, over 7 years later we have used it a lot, and usually put it up if we are staying put for 2 days or more as I can put it up by myself in 15 minutes, not a big deal.  This thing has been in snow, hail, wind storms that were over 50 mph, and that was the only time we had a small bit of damage as we had a tear about 3 inches long along the keder railing.  My DW fixed it in a jiffy and it held up very well.  I guess the only thing I don't like about it is the color, maize and blue!  Being a green and white Spartan, I had to swallow my pride and look beyond the colors and look at the functionality of the dome.  Furpod has listed a few of the reasons dome owner like it, so I won't repeat what has already been stated.  For us it is a  +++++++++++++++++++ addition to our 177.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:11pm
We used our dome twice before I gave it away. To me it was an extension of a tent and it rarely fit well on the improved sites we stayed in. I certainly understand that some people are big fans, but it was not my cup of tea. I recommend if you can, get it and try it, make up your own mind.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:13pm
Forgot to mention, the one thing that was chintzy and was replaced were the stakes that had the strength of colby cheese when pounded into the ground and they easily pulled out even with moderate winds.  Replaced with a beefier and longer stake.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>