R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV DVD Radio problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV DVD Radio problems
    Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:30pm
Some here have used aftermarket TV mounting brackets, although I don't know any specific brands.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
wbillar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:24pm
We have a 2009 171  model with the 9" tv/dvd/radio player.  The RC jacks only work for dvd.  I've added a splitter and a wall mounted jack for cable to run another larger TV.  It is something of a hassle setting up the other tv and I'm looking for a good way to mount the larger tv for viewing from the front dining and rear bed area. 
Bill
Rpod 171
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:45am
XJ2202009, I found that the speakers in the garage of our 182G were better than the ones inside the trailer, especially with bass.  

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
XJ2202009 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 11:20pm
hi all,

Mine came with the Jensen 19" TV, nice TV, then got that zx75 DVD/everything/  the features are nice, I can play music right from SD card or thumb drive, sound quality is OK but lacks in bass tremendously,  the frame is made out of cheap plastic, came with two speakers made to the poorest quality.  at first try, ended up having to take the system out because the video cable that came out the dvd to wall jack was pinched and broken inside the wall, previous owners were very nice people included everything in the sale including extra sets of RCA's so  hooked TV to run through the stereo plus dvd to tv video cable.  the antenna is poor even with the booster,  since I don't care for the tv no fixes are in plan, however will be looking into replacing those speakers and adding a passive sub since amp can handle six speakers, 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

David, thanks!  I figured as such, so that's why I was asking about whether it was movable.  I think that you're right about the antenna versus the air conditioner creating problems.  Height is everything although I have an antenna inside the house that's pointed toward downtown Chicago and can get most of the Chicago stations.  However, to get that to work, the antenna is pointed toward the patio door, which does help although if you were to get in front of the antenna it will lose its signal rather quickly.

As much as we took ¡Podtástic! out this year, I never really had much of a want to watch television.  We don't watch it much at home other than what's streaming on Netflix.  However, we will either bring a couple of movies from home or get them from either Redbox or at the local library.  We end up watching what we really want to if we want to before going to sleep instead of searching frantically for something to watch on the television.  

You're welcome!  Volumes have been written about just the subject of antenna theory ("theory" - not "fact").  As one might expect, the debate of opinions will likely rage on for the foreseeable future.  Speaking very generally, and for our purposes of campers who occasionally watch TV, I would lean towards something "stearable"/directional - which would likely yield "gain" (another term that can be debated....gain compared to what?) and get it as high as practical, yet easy.  Below are a couple of pictures of what I do with my ham antenna:

This is simply a 12' extending painter's pole (three 4' sections that twist & lock).  It slips into my spare tire carrier in which I made a bracket on the bottom - to keep the pole from going all the way to the ground.  There are many ways one could approach the issue, such as using a pole like this and attaching an amplified antenna to it (as one might find in the electronics area of Walmart).

This is what I have now (for TV) - the Winegard "batwing" antenna and it seems to do an OK job:

One could just purchase the "head" and attach it to a pole.  On the other hand, there are other products one could purchase and swap out the OEM antenna.  So the question becomes - how much time/effort/money does a person what to throw at improving the situation, if at all?
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:59pm
The OEM TV antenna is not very good.  Even tho' it is 'amplified', its specs are really bad.  Several owners have bought other antennas and found improved reception.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:56am
David, thanks!  I figured as such, so that's why I was asking about whether it was movable.  I think that you're right about the antenna versus the air conditioner creating problems.  Height is everything although I have an antenna inside the house that's pointed toward downtown Chicago and can get most of the Chicago stations.  However, to get that to work, the antenna is pointed toward the patio door, which does help although if you were to get in front of the antenna it will lose its signal rather quickly.

As much as we took ¡Podtástic! out this year, I never really had much of a want to watch television.  We don't watch it much at home other than what's streaming on Netflix.  However, we will either bring a couple of movies from home or get them from either Redbox or at the local library.  We end up watching what we really want to if we want to before going to sleep instead of searching frantically for something to watch on the television.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by melp

Does anyone have problems with reception . I have replaced the audiovox TV with a 19" Samgun flat screen.   With both TV's when I walk in the trailer the recection breaks up. Anyone having that problem??

Well..........here's my take on the antenna

Though I'm sure to draw the ire of Podders everywhere, I have to say I was not overly impressed with the performance of the TV antenna on the Pod. We ham radio operators have a "tongue in cheek" saying: Omni-directional antennas work equally poorly in all directions! LOL  Given that, I wouldn't expect great performance from what I referrred to as the "Frisbee antenna".  It is mounted even lower than the A/C unit, so that doesn't help matters either.

Also, when we went to digital TV, the situation changed - especially when on the fringe of reception.  In the old days of analog TV, we might get a "snowy" picture, but could watch and hear most of what was going on. 

When on the fringe with digital, if the TV misses or misreads a bit or two of data (CODEC) the TV doesn't know what to do about that.  So, the picture freezes/becomes pixelated/no or broken sound, etc.  If it misses a lot of data, is just can't decode the signal at all - it will just sit there and say something like "no signal found", or something to that effect.  It may be receiving random bits of data, but it just thinks it is "so much hooey" and can't do anything with it.

IMHO, digital is great when a strong signal is present.  Analog was better under less than optimal conditions.  I doubt there is a malfunction with your antenna.  It is probably doing the best it can.
If I were still in my Pod, I would likely have something on an extendable pole - in much the same manner as I do my ham antenna now.  While not a huge TV watcher when camping, I do like the Indy car races and, to a lesser degree, Nascar.  Being able to catch the local weather/radar comes in real handy also.  If TV is important, you may want to consider options other than the OEM antenna.  Again, IMHO. 
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by CubFanMan1

For all those that are having poor TV reception, have you tried rotating the antenna?

Believe it or not you can rotate the antenna on top of the unit, although you need a ladder to reach it on the roof.

Never heard of a moveable antenna on an R-Pod.  You sure your antenna isn't broken if it's moving?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 1:04pm
My 2010 is fixed, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>