R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHELP!! Fridge issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! Fridge issues
    Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 9:04pm
Hey fellow Podders,

I just picked up my RP-172 yesterday and I can seem to figure out the fridge.. I have the r-pod connected to my house power and everything seems to be working except for the fridge when I press the mode button to set it to the 'electrical' setting. (top led) the led is blinking as well as the red 'warning' light. they blink simultainiously.. I checked the fuse for the fridge and it is ok.. when I pull the fuse, the red led lights up next to the fuse as well.
I'm using the big power cord, plugged into an outdoor extension cord with a reducer/adapter so it can plug into a regular cord.

when I switch to batt (using the mode button) all looks normal, and also normal when I mode down to the propane setting.. Am I missing something? do I have it hooked up right for regular power?
I have the main cord plugged into the outside receptical on the side that you plug in and have to screw the cap on to keep it in place....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

GoofieNewfie

PS: by the way, my dealer is the worst ever! no walk through at all.. I'm still trying to figure out how to de-winterize it.. I found a hose under the stove section that is tee'ed off of a line that is not connected to anything, nor can I see where it would connect to if it has to connect to anything..
unfortunately, this dealer is the only one on the east coast of the province that sells forest river..
:-(

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 11:31pm
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Pods.  Sorry to hear you are having 2 problems.  One being the refrigerator and one with your dealer.  My best guest is the frig is not pugged in.  I'm sure someone on hear with chime in with other ideas.  As far as the dealer is concern, I would ask to set up an appointment and have someone go over the RPod with you.  If they won't do it, I would contact FR and notify them of the service you received from that dealer.  A bad dealer also reflects onto the manufactures of the RV's they are selling.  Hope things work out for you.  

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:09am
Welcome and sorry to hear about the dealer you bought from.  The R-pods are great and I'm sure things will work out.

I took a quick look at my Dometic Refrigerator book and page 25 shows the error lights.  If I'm reading it correctly withe the Triangle blinking and the 120 Indicator blinking means 120 volts not available or voltage too low.  I would check to see if it is plugged in first.  My plug is located on the outside of the camper behind the ventilation cover.  If it is plugged in you could test the voltage using a meter if you have one to see there is voltage and how much.  Also check at your power box in the camper to make sure all the breakers are on.

Also depending on how long that outdoor extension cord is you could be losing voltage from that.  You also need to be careful that the extension cord is not overheating.  I use a 30 AMP RV Extension cord when I need to run farther than the original cord will allow.

The Hose that is tee'ed off is most likely the hose you use to pump the anti-freeze into the system.  I'll post later today a way to de-winterize the camper. 
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 5:44pm
Wow! Thanks guys for the super quick replies.. I think you have pointed me in the right direction with regards to the fridge not being plugged in.. as soon as I finish eating my supper I'm going to run out and look behind that vent.. hopefully it is easy to come off....

Would anyone know where the shut off valve is on the fridge for the propane? I cant seem to find it, however I never looked behind that vent, so I'm thinking that is where  the valve is located...

I'm too excited now, so I have to take a breather... heheheh

I'm looking forward to these forums and hopfully I can also add to them and help others...

Mike

2010 RP-172

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 8:45pm
Update:
I got the fridge working on main power and battery. the electrical cord was not plugged in behind the outdoor vent panel. When I removed the panel, I saw the outlet, but no cord.... I went on a search of the compartment with a flashlight and small mirror. It was hidden away on top of that piece of wood panelling just above the opening.

Now, I noticed that the fridge wont run on propane.. what happens is that when I switch to propane, the led lights up normally, with no flashing warning light. After a few minutes, you can hear the igniter clicking for about 20 secs, then it stops and the red and green propane light start flashing.

It seems like there is not propane flow to the fridge.. my tank is full and turned on and my furnace is working.. the manual says to turn on the fridge propane valve, but it doesn't say where it is located or what it looks like.... any ideas?...

thank you in advance..

Mike

2010 RP-172
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 10:17pm
Light your stove and let it run for a few minutes - this should bleed most of the air out of your propane lines.  Turn off the stove.

Turn your fridge to propane.  If it doesn't light immediately, don't worry quite yet.  Leave the fridge in the 'propane' position and give it some time (30 minutes) - the fridge will try to light several times, hopefully flushing out the last of the air in the lines. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 10:25pm
Thanks Outbound...
I will give this a try... but is there a valve on/off switch that is seperate from the tank valve? The manuals I look at seem to always refer to turning on the tane valve and the fridge's gas shut off valve.

Also, Will the fridge still try to light even if the red led is blinking?

2010 RP-172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 1:30pm
Its been a while since I've been inside that compartment - look for copper tubing coming in and see where it goes.  The valve must be on that line somewhere.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 2:36pm
I just checked my fridge - I couldn't see any manual valves.  Everything is electronic.

GoofyNewfie, yes the fridge will try to relight.  Just leave it on.  Patience, grasshopper.  I have a similar problem with the fridge not lighting every time I swap my propane tank - it usually takes about five minutes.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 11:48am
Hey Outbound... got the fridge working on propane... it took a couple of starting tries, turning it off and on to reset the alarm led a couple of times and voila! it lit up... camped it it last night, in Newfoundland, in -1C (~ 31F) great times...
I just have one more thing to sort out that was discovered last night, but I will reread some threads to see if my answer lurks there somewhere...

hint: I had my fresh water tank filled halfway and the heater also filled, however when I turned on the pump, the water was shooting out the city hook up connection.. After I finished laughing, I turned off the pump... no water all night, but that's camping!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with my troubles so far.. very much appreciated.. and yes, I will be updating Forest River about my dealer... blah.

Mike

2010 RP-172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>