This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip planning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip planning?
    Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
We're about to make a trip, and I'm starting to plan the adventure. We've done tons of car/tent camping, and that is logistically easy. Mapping out the actual route is not a big deal, but because it's a multi-day trip, I'm wondering what you all do to plan your over-nights while you're en-route? We have our own method of doing this; just curious what some of you others might be doing.

Do you just pull up options on All-stays, or RV-parky, or what?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:17pm
I stay at Elks lodges RV parks if I can or KOAs or Walmarts.
The Pirate's Pod
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:52pm
I use RV Parky to look at options. I have heard about Elks Lodges, but have not investigated them as an option. Does one need to be a member to use them?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 3:34pm
We leave it to serendipity.  Worse comes to worst, most states allow a stay in a rest area long enough to spend the night.  Also, state and national forest/park campgrounds are usually not far away out west and they're pretty easy to find on the Internet, assuming you have a strong enough cell signal.  If you don't then you can probably just pull off into the woods, or desert, and just do dispersed camping.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:07pm
Unfortunately, most states I have been in have specified either no overnight camping, no overnight parking, or limited to 3 hours. That does not mean that the rules are evenly enforced. We avoid the rest areas and have stayed instead at truck stops (Pilot, Flying J, Loves, TA, etc.) or Walmart parking lots. When we do stop, I make it a practice to go in and check if it is permitted and if so, where to park. The apps are not always accurate and checking first is a courtesy and is appreciated. If we do stay, we buy something there to show our appreciation for the privilege.

This trip, my wife bought fat quarters (a cut of fabric for quilting) at the various Walmart stores at which we stayed. Eventually, they will get turned into a memory quilt of this recent trip.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:19pm
Rest stops are unreliable unless you stop very early. Some actually have traffic routers that keep you out of car areas. The truckers fill them quickly. Elks RV parks to my knowledge are for Elk members most are just parking areas with limited camp facilities. Personally I plan ahead because the road is unreliable, I want to ensure I have a spot. Especially at designated stop points, I don't particularly like acting homeless when I'm not. The anxiety doesn't add to the adventure and I have a safety consideration, especially in light of the great understanding we have of other folks in this country nowadays.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:53pm
You can check with each state's rest area web site whether they allow overnight parking.  Though you can't set up a tent and have a nice fire, most western states allow at least 8 hours parking and sleeping.  My recollection is that east of the Mississippi, especially in the S.E. they are not so accommodating in their rest areas.  Maybe the tow truck owners' lobby likes fatigued drivers there.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:06pm
You know if you're smart enough to outfit an RV and an adequate tow vehicle, then smart enough to ensure you're safe and responsible. With all the sources available, why would you put stops and overnights open? Do you go to the airport and see what's on standby? Do you hang around the bus station waiting for an open seat? Too easy to plan a trip and not be in a parking lot, when I was a child we didn't have these resources. Planning a trip is not difficult.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by mcarter

You know if you're smart enough to outfit an RV and an adequate tow vehicle, then smart enough to ensure you're safe and responsible. With all the sources available, why would you put stops and overnights open? Do you go to the airport and see what's on standby? Do you hang around the bus station waiting for an open seat? Too easy to plan a trip and not be in a parking lot, when I was a child we didn't have these resources. Planning a trip is not difficult.

For interim stops, I plan on pulling over at a convenient truck stop or Walmart.  I like to drive until I feel like pulling over.  It can give me a two to six hour head start on the next day.  And that doesn't even take into consideration that most campgrounds are miles off-route and truck stops are usually right at the interstate exit.  It's not much of a consideration, but it's a nice bonus that they're free too.

I start looking on Google Maps or AllStays Camp & RV about a half an hour before I want to stop and i always call and speak to the Walmart manager if that's where I want to stop.

That's what I do.  No judgement about what anyone else does.  Maybe when I retire I'll be more comfortable with taking 3 or 4 days to go a thousand miles.  As it is an extra day on the road is one less day to relax at my destination.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:28pm
When I planned our spring break trip down to Sedona I use the Good Sam trip planning web-based program. It was really easy to use and campgroumds popped up along your route. We like knowing how,long we are traveling in a day. When we get there, we relax. If you're a Good Sam member I would recommend checking it out.
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>