R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Window Leaking - Again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Window Leaking - Again
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:31pm

We recently got our 172 back from the dealer, where it had been for warranty work on the rear window. Seems the window wasn't properly sealed to the frame. The dealer pulled the entire window assembly out, took it to a "local glass shop" to have rebedded, then reinstalled the window assembly.

While washing and waxing the pod the other day, we discovered the entire bottom edge of the window leaks now. By gently pushing on the inside of the rear window at the bottom, you can easily separate the glass from the frame along the entire length of the window. There appears to be very minimal sealant residue between the glass and frame.

I can't blame this on the dealership's service department, and if I were to call them I'm sure they'd probably tell me to bring it back in again. But I intend to call my own local glass shop to see what would be involved in having the window removed and rebedded to the frame. They've done car windshield replacements for us in the past and are good to work with.

The pod is still under warranty, but a modest charge from my local place would still be cheaper than making the 100 mile round trip to the dealer and back.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:24pm

Angry

Very sorry to hear this is an ongoing problem.  I don't blame you for trying a new route this time.  I double-checked mine 2 weeks ago so I know we're OK.  Had one of those scary moments when I realized I hadn't checked it all winter and ran out to make sure my bed hadn't turned into a pool over the winter.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:08am
Thats a bummer....  As of yesterday I'm now on my own with the camper.  We feel we spotted everything and one or two items we just did the repair ourselves vs taking it to the dealer.  Good luck with the window and I'm sure it will work out.  
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 12:44pm
Thanks. We'll get it taken care of next week. Wish I knew the name of the dealer's "local glass shop" so I could advise my friends who live in the area not to go there. Very sloppy work.

-Edit- I just had a cordial conversation with my dealer regarding the rear window problem, mostly to rat on the glass shop and let them know that at least in this case they did not do good work.

The owner seemed very appreciative of my call, and said he would be using a different glass shop in the future. Also, he's going to get us a new rear window, and have it delivered to us here at home so we can have it installed locally (my choice.)
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 4:40pm
It seems that now every time i get near our pod i go inside and look for leakage around the rear window then check out the decals so they are not pealing and lastly check the tail lights for water so far every thing all go for now. The next thing will be the mattress.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:20pm
We're getting our decals replaced in June.  It's almost embarassing-looking right now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:52am
I had my decals redone on the front at the end of March.  Stoltzfus Rv's told me they have done it to a few now.  Looks nicer but I have feeling they may not last.  If they peel again They will be totally removed and I'll look for some custom thing to put there.  Would love a nice outdoor scene with a fox on it.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:12am
My Pod was manufactured Fall, 2009, and was only out a few times.  For the rest of the winter it has been in fully covered storage (machine shed).  I went out the other day and noticed that one of the decals near the bottom of the side is already peeling.  The only time it was been rained on was when it was delivered from Ohio to Minnesota.  The other outside trips were in dry conditions.  I wonder if simply being in the cold then warming up can cause the decals to lift off?
I think that all the decals on the Pod are going to lift off eventually.

Does anyone know of a 'decal remover' that would safely remove the remnants of the decals?
Casitas don't have the multiple decals that the Pods do...I wouldn't mind a white POD...
I certainly won't take the time or expense to put on replacement decals which come right off again. but I do mind having a Pod with strips of decals fluttering in the breeze!

TIDALWAVE
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:29pm
Just started a post about decals.  Sorry about getting off the subject of the rear windows.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:49pm
My rear window didn't leak but the passenger side window in the back did.  I sealed it myself and am crossing my fingers!Big smile  The tail light leaked, about 1/2 full of water, when I hooked up I noticed it was dim so I checked it.  After getting to the campground I took it off to let the water out.  It's a totally sealed unit!  Including the wires!  So I drilled a tiny hole in the top and bottom and got the water out.  Now it doesn't work at all!Angry

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>