R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstill can't decide which WDH rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: still can't decide which WDH rating
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:04am
When we got our RP-179, the dealer told us the 600/6000 was the best choice for this size of trailer. We never questioned it, we just did it. We've never had an issue.

Don't forget that in order to get the balance, the weight bars and hitch have to be adjusted for the TV/TT combination. The difference will be that he 400/4000 will be at 90% (or close to that), and the 600/6000 will be at 60% (or close to that).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:38am
So far, I have never seen an issue, nor felt bad about recommending 600 pound bars for any Pod. It is in fact what most pod owners use.
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:29am
Looking to purchase an Equalizer WDH. As I understand, the rPod is a little under 4,000 lbs wet. The brochure lists the tongue weight for the 180 as 340 lbs, but there is some question if that includes the weight of the battery (64 lbs), full propane take (approx 37 lbs), and power tongue jack (24 lbs). People here have suggested both the 400/4000 model and the 600/6000 model. I don't want to load up the trailer axel too much with a bigger weight distributing hitch than I need, because of the single-axel trailer. On the other hand, I would like to have a bit of leeway on the tongue weight.

I talked with the local trailer hitch shop and told him that etrailer.com wanted an EXACT tongue weight before they could make a recommendation. I estimated a little over 400 lbs so they suggested the 600/6000. I told the hitch shop owner that my PreRunner only dropped an inch when I hitched up the rPod and he was shocked. He said that the tongue weight must not be that much so he thought I should go with the smaller 400/4000. Should I take the trailer to the local truck stop and have the tongue weighed to be certain?

Mostly I want the 4-point sway control that the Equalizer offers, and I also want to better distribute the weight so my rear tires are not being overloaded. I figured that even one inch lowered in the back would still affect my headlights, and I don't want people flashing high beams at me like when I had my tent trailer on my 2002 5-lug four cylinder.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123