R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 4:50pm
Better said my IX 2000 runs my AC no converter charge circuit or Microwave if that helps.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
voy108 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:24am
I just bought a Champion 100216 generator(4500/3650) and will be receiving a Stromberg-Carlson cargo rack for it tomorrow. I wanted to go with the Predator 3500 but as Lostagain stated, they are having issues with it. Plus, as he said, 90 day warranty as opposed to 3 years and the Champion is half the price but no real extras, plain jane but adequate.

What have you Champion folks experienced and do any of you guys have it mounted on the SC?
Thanks for any responses...i am single RV'er so had to go with the SC rather than muscling in and out of my Explorer.  At 74 I don't throw 100lbs around any more.Ouch
Doug
2017 R-Pod 171-green
2004 Ford Explorer
Lucy, my Terrier Rescue
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:13pm
If you think in terms of amperage, 30A, you're gonna need a 3600W generator to provide that. 

Think voltage. The 30A plugs at camp grounds are just 120V AC outlets that have a limit of 30A of total draw available. That's 3600W. In our campers, that's pretty much going to be the AC on, the microwave going and some other bits on. Chances are you don't need that much all the time. 

I'm using a 2200W Westinghouse. That means it can go up to 2200W. It normally runs 1800W, but being an inverter generator, it can slow down the engine to reduce output to match load. This will run everything in the camper, just not at the same time.

Smaller generators, like the 2000W size ones, can have trouble starting the compressor in the AC unit, but there are ways to alleviate that. The MicroAir Easy Start costs $300 and can make it very easy for a 2000W generator to start the AC. Personally, if I didn't already have a generator, I'd get the Easy Start, install it and then get the 2500W Westinghouse iGen. That would come in <$1000 and run the AC on hot days with a bit of overhead. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by voy108

I just bought a Champion 100216 generator(4500/3650) 
Doug

No one within a couple hundred yards of you is going to like you when you run that thing. Open frame generators are LOUD. Like, construction site loud. 

Ouch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by rawest50

My 2200 watt Briggs has a plug for parallel running but no 30. I need to look at that.

Just get an adapter. The only difference is the plug. The standard household plugs are 15A. The ones that have the little T shaped hole on the left instead of just a vertical slot are 20A outlets. The camper will work fine with a converter on the plug end of the cable. 

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by FrayAdjacent

Originally posted by rawest50

My 2200 watt Briggs has a plug for parallel running but no 30. I need to look at that.

Just get an adapter. The only difference is the plug. The standard household plugs are 15A. The ones that have the little T shaped hole on the left instead of just a vertical slot are 20A outlets. The camper will work fine with a converter on the plug end of the cable. 

Agreed. For the maximum wattage you'll have available, an adapter will do fine. I think you can even get 30A adapters that have two 15A plugs on them to plug into both outlets on the generator (assuming the generator has two outlets), which would alleviate any over-current issues with a single 15A connection.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:49am
Greetings

Has anyone used a Generac or Briggs and Straton inverter?   I see them at Menards.  I have a Honda 2000 that has been in use for over 10 years.  I'm sure it has over 1200 plus hrs on it.  It runs great, doesn't use any oil, and all I've done to it is change oil after every use and put in a new spark plug.  At 78, I think it will outlast me!

Crankster78  R-179 2015 
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
voy108 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:34am
Did some research on using the Champion generator I bought on line. Went to the Federal Parks webpage and came across their requirements for running a generator. Well, they want it less than
60 Dba> I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the Champ but not one to take a chance, I took the Champion back...still in box so had no problem. Went over to Harbor Freight and bought their 3500 Inverter Generator.  I will set it up today and run it.

Comes with 90day warranty so need to use it as much as possible. Didn't get extended warranty yet and may not. Doing research on it, you get a one time use of the warranty so if it's a minor issue, they will cover it and then you need to purchase another.

Thanks for the input and making me do more research. I'm sure I will be happy with the 3500. I have a Predator 2200 that is great but won't run the a/c. Wink
Doug

2017 R-Pod 171-green
2004 Ford Explorer
Lucy, my Terrier Rescue

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by voy108

Did some research on using the Champion generator I bought on line. Went to the Federal Parks webpage and came across their requirements for running a generator. Well, they want it less than
60 Dba> I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the Champ but not one to take a chance, I took the Champion back...still in box so had no problem. Went over to Harbor Freight and bought their 3500 Inverter Generator.  I will set it up today and run it.

Comes with 90day warranty so need to use it as much as possible. Didn't get extended warranty yet and may not. Doing research on it, you get a one time use of the warranty so if it's a minor issue, they will cover it and then you need to purchase another.

Thanks for the input and making me do more research. I'm sure I will be happy with the 3500. I have a Predator 2200 that is great but won't run the a/c. Wink
Doug

I think you'll be happier. That Champion is about 68dB at 23 feet, the Predator is 57dB, but has an "eco" mode, where the engine will slow down and will be quieter. Almost all inverter generators can do this. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:43pm
Posted as a separate post:

I brought my 176 home from the dealer yesterday. Didn't own it for 6 hours before I began modding! I installed a MicroAir Easy Start and went through the start cycles on AC power from the house. I then tried my 2200W Westinghouse generator. It started the AC just fine. I then shut the AC off and switched the generator to Eco mode, and the AC started just fine! 

SO... I'll always recommend for small campers like ours, a 2000W generator, with the MicroAir Easy Start installed will be perfect for running the AC on generator. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>