This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP 180!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP 180!!!
    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by TheBum

You do want it close, but the rating should always exceed the actual load. You're right: if it's excessively hefty, it can actually cause issues, especially if you're pulling with a unibody TV like our Highlander. A 600/6000 is good for almost any R-Pod setup.
Almost exactly what our dealer explained to us. The 600/6000 is the smallest E2 makes, and so that is what a lot of dealers gravitate to. There are not a lot of WDH choices in the 450/4500 weight category, but those would generally be a good choice for a pod as well. Certainly going to 800/8000 would probably cause more problems than it solves.

I will say that our 600/6000 E2 seems to be a real good match to our RP-179.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:24pm
I tow with a 400/4000 Equal-i-zer for 8 seasons I'm very happy with it
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by marwayne

I tow with a 400/4000 Equal-i-zer for 8 seasons I'm very happy with it

That’s the one that the local independent trailer shop recommended. Which model should I go with?
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:56pm
???????

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:19am
There was a review on the etrailer site from someone who said that the 600/6000 model was too heavy to take on and off and thought the smaller size was better. That's probably what I'm going to go with.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

There was a review on the etrailer site from someone who said that the 600/6000 model was too heavy to take on and off and thought the smaller size was better. That's probably what I'm going to go with.

All of us here that use anti-sway wdh here use that model of the e2, me included. There is no problem taking it on and off, they even give a tool to help put the square bars on in a jiffy with ease. The only thing heavy about the hitch is what I guess is called the "ball assembly" that sides into your receiver. When I'm out on the road and camping I leave this part in (using a locking hitch pin which you should consider buying if you don't have one) the receiver and just remove the square bars when I unhitch which is no trouble.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

All of us here that use anti-sway wdh here use that model of the e2, me included. There is no problem taking it on and off, they even give a tool to help put the square bars on in a jiffy with ease. The only thing heavy about the hitch is what I guess is called the "ball assembly" that sides into your receiver. When I'm out on the road and camping I leave this part in (using a locking hitch pin which you should consider buying if you don't have one) the receiver and just remove the square bars when I unhitch which is no trouble.
+1. When the truck and the trailer are coupled, I usually just crank up the tongue until the bar just slides on in; you can push it with your pinky finger. Walk over to the other side, and same. Insert the holding clips, and let it back down. Only need to use the "helper" if the truck/trailer is in some weird depression or something.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:31pm
Not all of us.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:41pm
I contacted etrailer.com but they want to know the EXACT tongue weight and not just an estimate.
The brochure lists the (I imagine dry) tongue weight of the 180 as 340 lbs. Adding the weight of the propane tank, group 27 marine battery, and power tongue jack I estimated the total tongue weight at 420 lbs but I don't know for certain unless I take the trailer to the local truck stop and use their scales to weigh it. I don't know why they just couldn't give me their recommendation between the Equalizer 400/4000 and 600/6000 but apparently they won't unless I supply an EXACT tongue weight.
If it is in fact over 400 lbs tongue weight I would imagine that the larger WDH would be in order but I have sent etrailer several emails back and forth and they won't come out with a straight answer.
My mechanic told me that if you get a WDH that is too much capacity it will in effect stretch the load too far apart between the wheel bases which can cause a really rough ride.
I want to make this a one-time purchase and get the right one on the first try.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:45pm
Finally got an answer from etrailer. For the Equalizer + rPod they recommend the 600/6000 model so that's the one I will be getting.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>