This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP 180!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP 180!!!
    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

We got reservations for the 2018 Cannon Beach Meetup! Yay! We will be there all three days.

Good! We'll see you there. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:21pm
We are excited. It looks like fun. Haven’t been on the Oregon coast in 20+ years.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm
Thanks everyone for your advice. After much thought, and talking with a variety of shops, I have decided to go with the Equalizer 500 WDH with 4-way sway control. The local hitch company will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. There were a couple of models, but this one is rated for 4,000 lb GTW and 400 lbs TW. I looked at a lot of hitches on line and liked the Equalizer because it is American made. Is this the appropriate model for the rPod? It seemed to be but I thought I'd ask.
Is this all I need? Will this help with the bouncing over bridges and raise the rear of the truck to a more level position?

The shops told me that because the rPod is a single-axel trailer, and is tall and has a lot of surface area, it can sway in the wind more than a double-axel trailer. Plus, my truck is not 50% heavier than my trailer so the WDH was recommended.

This has all been a learning experience. Just today I had the local Toyota dealer do a large service on my 2011 Tacoma V6 PreRunner. It had just turned 60,000 miles so I had new plugs put in, and had the trans flushed and all new synthetic trans fluid installed. Also had the gear oil in the rear differential changed, along with an oil and filter change.

Looks like a good start for the summer camping season. Looking forward to the meet up in OR in August! 
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:46pm
OldNeumanntapr, your choice of WDH anti sway seems more then adequate to me but hey what do I know? Wink
My only other suggestion to you is to look at upgrading your tires because remember you only have two hitting the road compared to four on larger RV campers on the road.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
OldNeumanntapr, I agree with DavMar, that WDH should work just fine. I don't really agree with the shop's opinion that the R-pod will sway more because it's single axle and has a high profile. I've compared the R-pod to other TTs, and it's not really any higher, and it is, in fact, usually a more narrow profile. At any rate, we have never experienced any sway issue with our 179. The WDH will tend to level both the TV and the TT if it is set up correctly.

When you're pulling with a WDH, you will notice that the TV and TT will move more like "one unit". So it kind of stretches your overall wheelbase. That's slightly hyperbole, but it kind of gives you an idea of what to expect.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
We also use the Equalizer 4 point wdh with sway. However, I think most people go with the 600/6000 unit to make sure you have a little “overkill”. Most pods will come closer to 3500# when fully loaded. 
I have used this hitch for a 173 and a 179  and been very happy with the performance.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by DavMar

OldNeumanntapr, your choice of WDH anti sway seems more then adequate to me but hey what do I know? Wink
My only other suggestion to you is to look at upgrading your tires because remember you only have two hitting the road compared to four on larger RV campers on the road.

The rPod has brand new load range E tires which hopefully will last a few years. I considered upgrading the tires on the truck but BFG All Terrains (a step up from the BFG Rugged Trail) are $250 each! If I get the WDH it should take some of the weight off the rear axel so I’m hoping the stock tires will be OK.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Pod People

We also use the Equalizer 4 point wdh with sway. However, I think most people go with the 600/6000 unit to make sure you have a little “overkill”. Most pods will come closer to 3500# when fully loaded. 
I have used this hitch for a 173 and a 179  and been very happy with the performance.
Vann

I thought you had to match the WDH pretty closely to the actual weight you will be carrying. This is what the websites all say. There’s no way my trailer would ever weigh three tons.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Originally posted by Pod People

Vann

I thought you had to match the WDH pretty closely to the actual weight you will be carrying. This is what the websites all say. There’s no way my trailer would ever weigh three tons.

You do want it close, but the rating should always exceed the actual load. You're right: if it's excessively hefty, it can actually cause issues, especially if you're pulling with a unibody TV like our Highlander. A 600/6000 is good for almost any R-Pod setup.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 5:47pm
The 600/6000 Equalizer is about $80 more. I’ve heard that the actual tongue weight is higher than what Forest River claims because they don’t add the weight of the battery and propane tank. Is this correct? Maybe the 600/6000 model would be a better choice, if that’s what most go with. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>