R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Issue
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:59am
I have a 2015 178 and I'm towing with a 2011 Silverado.  My RV dealer installed a Quest controller.  I used to be able to almost stop just holding the button on the controller but lately something is going on and I barely feel the trailer brakes when I hold the controller button.  So do I have a controller problem, connection problem or brake problem on the trailer?  

My RV dealer has gone out of business and I can't find a manual for the controller.  I have tried to increase the number but the controller only shows "5" or "10" when the brakes are applied.

This probably sounds confusing but just looking for some help if anyone knows anything.

Thanks!
MICK
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:12am
Do a Google search for your controller. Look for the manufacture's site. Should be able to get you manual there. I did a quick one and think it's made by Husky..

Mine I can un-plug and remove. Curious if it's not seated completely in the receiver..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:34am
I didn't see any numbers; removed it from it's bracket under the dash and found "14217+" on the rear of the controller.  Comes up "item not found" when I put that in the search box (with and without the +).  The number is sort of stamped on the rear.

And when you refer to being "seated completely to the receiver" do you mean the 7 point trailer plug?
MICK
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:38am
You may want to call Husky.  I'm sure they'd be happy to help you figure out which manual applies to your model.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:42am
Originally posted by GlibGuy

I didn't see any numbers; removed it from it's bracket under the dash and found "14217+" on the rear of the controller.  Comes up "item not found" when I put that in the search box (with and without the +).  The number is sort of stamped on the rear.

And when you refer to being "seated completely to the receiver" do you mean the 7 point trailer plug?

Sorry for responding to my own post, but I decided to google Quest brake controller 14217+ and it comes up Husky 31899 which looks EXACTLY like mine except I don't have the flat connector!  And here may be the problem; my wires are taped together.

I'm going to pursue this unless someone has other thoughts.
MICK
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:59am
Maybe you need to start over with a new controller? Taped wires are a bad sign.  Did you check that the trailer plug and truck socket is clean? That electronics cleaner in a spray can works well.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:14am
Personally I would go with a new controller and the right plug and play cable. Most newer vehicles have the wiring installed to add the brake controller, Ford and Chevy certainly do. I tow with a Silverado and I bought a Tekonsha P3 with the cable that plugs into my interface panel, no tapped wires and a secure fit all around.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:53am
+1 to mcarter suggestion. If you TV doesn't have the wiring for plug and play with your break control already installed. You should be able to buy the wiring that plugs into your vehicle wiring harness and then into your controller. I had to do just that with my Tacoma it had the plug in the harness but I had to just buy the wiring that plug into that and then into my Tekinsha P3, no biggy to deal with.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:37pm
our dealer installed a Teconsha brake controller as part of our "package". When they described it as "plug and play", I thought they meant it was integrated with the truck's electronics. What they actually meant was that it plugged directly into the pre-existing connector for the OEM controller.

They also didn't mention that it had to be mounted under the dash, and that it would be bumping my right knee all the time. I didn't like that.

So I un-installed the Teconsha, and installed the Ford OEM controller, which fits into a pre-existing slot in the lower part of the dashboard. Big plus is that it completely integrates with the truck electronics, and provides proportional braking automatically. It also doesn't bang my knee all the time. I like that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:26pm
Well that would be good if the OP had a Ford. He doesn't he has a Chevy, God Bless you Ford owners , huh?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>