R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Issue
    Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by GlibGuy

Originally posted by Iceworm

Was the controller the problem. I had a situation as you described and after checking voltages, tensioners at brake etc. Noticed a wire broke off of the crimped connector just a few inches outside of the brake housing. Fixed with butt splice connector and full brakes again. About a week later same thing happened to the second wire. Just got back from trip from Penna. to Alaska. I will cut the factory splices off the other brake and replace with butt splices sealed with silicone soon.

I haven't completed my findings.  I assumed it was the controller but sounds like I need to check for connections around the brake housing(s).  I'll post results at some point.

Well I ended up with a broken wire and more.  I tried to repair the wire but ended up having to have a new wire run AND the electric brake assembly replaced on one side!  I just returned from a 3600 mile trip and the brakes* worked perfectly.
*And everything else - almost two weeks of dry camping.
MICK
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
GlueGuy your absolutely correct, my bad sorry. Why I wrote HIGH resistance when I was writing my post and thinking LOW is beyond me? They make specific meter for reading very low resistance and they are great when trying to trace out a short, wish I owned one. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Now I think I have this correct and please do point it out if I’m wrong. What made it a bit confusing for me is that when you put the one lead of an ohm meter on an electro magnet lead and the other lead of the meter on the other magnet lead and it will read a short unless you have a precision ohm meter able to read very high resistance sensitivity.
Exactly right except for the words "very high resistance". It's actually the opposite of that and the correct words are "very low resistance".

Electromagnets are in essence just a coil wrapped around "the magnet". Because the coils are copper, there just isn't a lot of resistance there. It will take a pretty good meter to register much more than 0 ohms. It will be a tiny amount of ohms.More likely milli-ohms.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:24pm
Okay, Okay, Okay!

Since I’m curious and wanted to figure out how the trailer brake wiring on my Pod is wired and I don’t have a secret decoder ring. I made up a jumper, got my magical Fluke meter out, along with a probe and a better flash light to see when under the Pod today.

If I’m right from the trailer seven-pin connector plug the (+) positive power for the Brake control runs on a White/Blue wire to one side of the electro brake magnet in the wheel hub on the driver’s side of the camper. Before going into the wheel hub this same wire splits, one wire going into the driver side electro brake magnet and the other Blue/White to the passenger side (+) electro brake magnet.  On the (-) negative ground side a White wire goes from the seven-pin connector to the driver side wheel hub where it connects to the other side of the electro magnet. It also goes into a connector before the wheel hub and splits with one wire running into the driver side (-) negative brake electro magnet and the other traveling over to the passenger side (-) negative electro magnet.

Now I think I have this correct and please do point it out if I’m wrong. What made it a bit confusing for me is that when you put the one lead of an ohm meter on an electro magnet lead and the other lead of the meter on the other magnet lead and it will read a short unless you have a precision ohm meter able to read very high resistance sensitivity. There for it showed, on the meter, an electrical short between the (+) positive side and the (-) negative side wiring because it’s connected to each other through the electro magnets. I could easily confirm the wiring if I wanted to cut one lead of the brake magnet off (positive Blue /White or the negative White wire) but I’m of the opinion its best not to unless somehow, I’m totally wrong on how the trailer brake are wired in our campers?

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 6:11pm
DavMar - go back and read ChetC's post. Take some time. Make your own notes, don't expect a wiring diagram until after you have made it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 5:46pm

I downloaded and printed out information on how a 7 pin connector is wired into a trailer. Then with these drawings I slid under the Rpod to see how the trailer brakes are wired and its left me with more questions then answers. I hope some of you here who have more knowledge of trailer wiring them me can help?

First, I under stand that Forest River unfortunately didn’t follow the standard color code you’ll find on trailer schematics. That’s why instead of single blue and white wire going to the trailer brakes you see white, white/black, white/blue connected to what looks like green wires (to me at least) into the hubs.

Here is where I need the help, on the driver side wheel hub there are two wires, white and white/blue coming together and going into a green wire into the hub and the trailer brake. There are also two additional wires colored white and another white/black going into the other brake wire to the hub. Over on the passenger side wheel hub I have a white/black wire going into a green wire to the trailer brake and then a white wire going into the other green wire going into the wheel hub to the brake.

I’m perplexed with these two wires going into one and not just a single blue (positive) wire and a white (ground) wire as shown in most trailer schematics. Would I be correct in assuming that the white/black wires on each side and white wires that are also located on both sides to each electric brake are common and connected together, diver side white/black to passenger side white/black. Are all the white wires common and tied together as the ground? This doesn’t make sense to me because you wouldn’t tie what might be a positive wire such as the white/blue or white/black to a negative white wire? So are the white/blue and white wire that come together on the driver side positive and the white/black and white that also come together on the driver side the negative side going to the trailer brake? Is this same white/black on the driver side carried over to the passenger’s side white/black as its negative and the white wire on the passenger side going into the trailer brake the positive that on most schematics would be shown as a blue wire?

Maybe someone here has already solved this mystery of Rpod wiring or am I going to have to hook up the trailer connector to my TV and crawl around with a probe and my volt/ohm meter?

Help!!!

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:07pm
Mike, great idea you have with making up a spade test jumper, simple and quick, I like! I also try to avoid jumping 12vdc straight to ground to avoid letting the magic out in a big poof of smoke! Embarrassed
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:14pm
DavMar, I like the little fused jumper I made with two 1/4" spade connectors. I can pick up 12V at the 11 position on trailer plug and use it to test different circuits, don't plug it into the ground at 5. I can light my lights and even send signal to brake controller and light my reverse lights I added. I added the faq wiring doc to my binder and it has my notes on it from different things I've looked at.
Mike Carter
2015 178
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Try this, there is some great info on here. Pods are wired to the 7 way RV standard, mine matches pin postion and wire color. There is also a representation of brake wiring and a trailer wiring image, but it doesn't match your Pod. Great reference I use.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Thanks, that all I need, once I get my printer working right. I guess the next step for me is spending some time under the Pod with paper and pencil!
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:27am
Try this, there is some great info on here. Pods are wired to the 7 way RV standard, mine matches pin postion and wire color. There is also a representation of brake wiring and a trailer wiring image, but it doesn't match your Pod. Great reference I use.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>