R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYellow Stains/Streaks From Decal Adhesive - Event Date: 26 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Yellow Stains/Streaks From Decal Adhesive
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:25am
My husband I and noticed yellow stains/streaks on our pod that ran down from the decals. We figured perhaps too much adhesive had been used when applying the decals, so we tried Goof Off, but that didn't work. I decided to try a little bit of Comet with bleach. I tested it on a small inconspicuous spot and it worked! I created a thick paste by mixing the Comet with a little water and I used a medium bristled brush to apply the paste in a circular motion. It didn't require a lot of elbow grease at all, the stains just came right off. 

I hope this can help someone else! :-) 
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
MTB you can damage the gelcoat with abrasive cleansers, like Comet.  It works really well getting stuff off because it takes off some of the gelcoat with it and you will find that the sheen on the gelcoat will be gone.  Use a boat cleaner or soft rubbing compound to clean stubborn stains, then wax over what you cleaned or the stains will quickly return.  There are many products specifically designed to clean fiberglass surfaces in RV shops or marine supply stores.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
We have had good success using a clay bar (fine grit), because it is so fine it does take a bit of elbow grease but have never damaged the finish by using it.  Our 177 is just over 7 years old, still looks great.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by jato

We have had good success using a clay bar (fine grit), because it is so fine it does take a bit of elbow grease but have never damaged the finish by using it.  Our 177 is just over 7 years old, still looks great.

Never thought of a clay bar but that's a good suggestion Leo +1

Though here is a tough one I'd like to find an answer for as to cleaning the outside of my Pod. Where it parks there is a Maple tree that partly shades it and in turn leaves little black sap specks all over the Pod. Since my tree hugging wife won't allow me to put chain saw to tree does anyone have a suggestion for a quick and easy product I can use to remove this sap spots????
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:24pm
Maybe hire a neighbor with a chain saw and  . . . .? Anyway I have used a product by Blue Magic called "Road Tar & Bug Gel that works fairly well and one better than that as one time we were under a white pine that had terrible sap drip all over the roof of our pod as well as our Explorer is produced by Guardsman called "Goof Off" it worked well but also took a bit of elbow grease to get the tar off.  Put product on rag and rub over the spot.  Would also highly recommend a good wax job after doing this to put a coating over the gel coat.  I have used a product by MeGuiars called Ultimate liquid wax, leaves the finish baby butt smooth.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:29pm
Thanks jato!

I'll take a look and see if I can find this Blue Magic Road Tar & Bug Gel st my local FLAP (friendly neighborhood auto parts) of course if you want to come South with your chainsaw I'd be most appreciative! Wink
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply