R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew A/C, very quiet - Event Date: 15 Apr 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new A/C, very quiet
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:24pm
Just replaced 13500 btu 1 speed loud factory A/C with a coleman mach 8 9,500 btu. Has a low and hi speed fan. Had it on low last weekend in
85 degree weather durning the day here in Florida and it kept it about 72 during the day. Best of all, I can finally sleep at night.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
Do you have an older Pod? All the ones in recent years have come with two-speed fans.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:45pm
Yes, but even though our new ones have 2 speed fans, man are they loud. I had a neighbor wanting to fight with me because my ac was so loud it was keeping him up all jight.  He finally gave it up and left.  And I understood what he was saying. I wish there was a way to quit it down.  If someone has a good idea I would love to hear it.
Joe
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:03pm
From outside, the 13,500 BTU unit in our 2016 RP179 is quiet. It is inside that it is loud. Things I did to quiet it down some:

1. Change sleeping position to have the head of the bed at the door side of the trailer instead of the slide-out side. Since the wardrobe is there, it blocks a little bit of the sound.
2. Set the AC fan speed to low instead of high or automatic (the worst). On low, it is a steady sound and the compressor cycling on and off is not so obvious. It also is not changing back and forth from low to high speed.
3. Remove the inside shroud (carefully as there are screws that are not readily visible that need to be removed). Then using spray adhesive such as the high-strength one from Krylon, glue thin closed-cell foam to the inside of the shroud making sure that the sliding panel and pivoting air directors are not obstructed or glued.
4. When reinstalling the shroud, make sure the wires are not directly in the downward airflow from the outside unit.

While these steps do not make a huge difference, they do make a difference. However, the thing that has the most effect is running the fan speed on low since then you have a constant sound which is much less objectionable than one that is cycling on and off.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:29pm
I do the same as StephenH: run the fan on low. It's like a white noise generator and makes it easier for me to sleep.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
beaster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 3:37pm
It is a 2014 182g, the thermostat shows a low and high, but the speed and noise stays the same. I sold the old A/C for $300 first day I put it on Craig's list. I new Coleman actually has two separate motors for hi and lo.   
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:38pm
I have been considering this, the 13k unit is loud and I've heard the 9.5 unit and it's a lot quieter. If I had to run it at night I would have done it by now, haven't had to yet. Cali nights are cool ,even in the deserts.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by voisj

Cali nights are cool ,even in the deserts.
Maybe especially in the deserts. They seem to have a very wide day to night temperature swing.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:09am
Having spent a couple of months at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, I can vouch for the very wide temperature swings between daytime and nighttime. I got there in August and my temporary duty. It was very hot during the daytime but I really appreciated my sleeping bag during the night. The last trip out, it was not nearly adequate as a front went through. It started raining so I spent the night near a team from a unit I was helping evaluate. Overnight, the temps dropped to freezing and in the morning there was ice all over everything. I was freezing since I only had the intermediate cold sleeping bag that wasn't so great as it had been issued to a number of Soldiers and was worn past the point where it should have been replaced. The team I was near had the newer sleep system with the Goretex covers. At least they were warm.

It really makes me appreciate the furnace in the R-Pod, even if I did have to figure out how to cover the noise. I use a fan plugged into one of the 12V outlets I installed to do that. If I have to run the AC in the summer, running the fan constant on low works since then it isn't cutting fully on and off and the compressor cycling is not nearly so obvious as the start and stop and the switching speeds of the fan when that happens.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:35pm
Why is all this nonsense necessary. I have been an RV’er si ce 1995, and have never head of some of the things involved with the R-Pod. It is crazy.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>