R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedworthless refrigerator on propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: worthless refrigerator on propane
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:48am
Just a general complaint - 

I am not a 'handyman', so when my refer doesn't work, I have to take it to the dealer. I have tried to take the flame-thingy apart but from previous adventures when I destroyed something, I can see it's beyond my skills.

So, ... Now, the refer  works well on electricity, propane stove works well, I don't hear a clicking sound of the refer when trying to light, but with my older ears, so what? and the refer just doesn't work on propane. Is there something simple, that may solve the problem, that I can do before taking the darned thing to the dealer?

I don't mind using a cooler for boondocking, actually, if everything is frozen to begin with, this works pretty well for 4 or even 5 days, but I would like to have a propane refer. 

The 'Bottom Line'? - I guess with the present level of technology, there is no practical alternative to the present tech used in refers(?), but after multiple episodes of seeing our dealer, I sure feel like this could be done better.

There, I feel better, thanks for listening.
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:04am
Look  inside where the flame would be.  Make sure you don't have a spider web or wasp nest in there.
You might need a small flashlight.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm
I usually have to blow out the burner and the flue on the fridge with compressed air two or three times a year.  As John mentioned, there's usually a spider's nest stuck up in there; when its even partially clogged the fridge doesn't work well on propane.

That said, a fridge on propane is awesome while boondocking.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:26pm
+1 usually awesome on propane!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:14pm
+2 we have used our refrigerator nearly all the time on propane.  Installed a screen over the vents to prevent larger spiders as well as bees and wasps out, this has made a huge difference in the area of a non working fridge for us.  Since doing that about 4 years ago, zero issues.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:03am
Just as a follow up - 

I used a small computer can of compressed air randomly inside the tubing, not really aiming it at anything in particular, and it worked! At least, I was very surprised. I wish all problems were so easy to fix. Now, I've put a thin nylon no see-um proof netting over the inside of the refer air intake on the side of the trailer to keep out bugs.

? Does the temperature behind that vent ever get hot enuf to make me worry about melting the nylon?

I don't think so, but I sure don't want to start a fire!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:52pm
If it gets to hot back there.. 95-110F or somewhere abouts, a small fan or two come on to move the heat out.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
I added two small fans to help move the heat out (mounted to top cover blowing outward). While they seem to work, the refrigerator still is not working well. When we first bought our R-Pod, the refrigerator worked great on propane. The longer I have it, the worse it is. I have cleaned the burner and flue this spring. I added screens to keep the bugs out. Unfortunately, the best I can get is about 40 degrees below ambient temperatures. When the outside temps hit 100 degrees F, I can't get the refrigerator cold enough to safely keep food, even with the freezer compartment door and floor removed so both cooling sections can be used for the refrigerator.

We are done with the southernmost part of our trip and are heading north now. I will see if it will work better as we get into more temperate conditions. In the meantime, I am glad I had purchased at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore a Free Piston Sterling Cooler. It will keep things very near 4 degrees C (about 39F) even when temps are in the 90s. Around 100, it can't quite keep up, but below that, it works great. It also takes much less battery power doing so than the battery part of the Dometic refrigerator. I really would like to find something as efficient in a model that would be a drop-in replacement for the Dometic refrigerator. It would cut my ability to boondock for several days, but I would still probably be good for a couple of days before needing to recharge. More so if we got solar.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
Stephen, check out the Danfoss compressor type fridges.  I don't have one....suppose to be much more efficient both at keeping the insides cool AND in power usage.  I just finished adding 2 more fans for a total of 4....2 at exhaust vents, 2 at intake.  Haven't tested them yet but eager to try.  Also added a aluminum baffle to totally direct all airflow straight to the condenser fins and a switch to manually turn them on.  There are a few rv fridge websites with "improvements" to be purchased.   Well let yall know how my tornado POD fridge works out.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
pnwcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 8:48am
There is also a jet that can be cleaned but it needs to be removed to do so. I have not done it personally but my service tech had to do it on my 2014 177 to get it to cool properly. My service tech mentioned 2014 Rpods - could be other model years as well - the that refrigerator was very temperamental.

I like the screen idea and will be doing that soon.

From what I understand spiders like the smell of propane which is why it seems to be a common issue.

2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>