R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water education 101

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water education 101
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
Thanks guys for you input about my hot water problem. You provided a lot of checks. Somewhere between last use of the RPod and dewinterizing my heater element crashed. It cost me $102 to replace. Next time I can replace it.

Things I learned with the service departments help.
How to check for water in the hot water tank.
How to check to see if the electrical switch is on or off.
I had no clue how to do either so when you add advice dumb it down to basics for us newbies. There is no RPod troubleshooting manual. If so send it. I will pay if reasonable.

How check water in the hot water heater. Open the black panel outside. You will see a pressure relief valve. Looks like the one on your hot water heater in your house. Open it slightly. If water comes tank has water.
The other thing the electrical switch is not visible unless you get on your knees and look low. The gas line hides it.

Dealer verified both valves are accessible from inside without removing the mattress. My RPod is a 179 1/2. The wood panel is located right of the heater. Looks like 4 screws. May need a small person to access it. Not sure I could.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:16am
Rookie mistake. After our Spring Break trip to Sedona, had to rewinterize upon returning home to Idaho. Headed out for the holiday weekend and flipped the switch for the gas water heater last night. 10 minutes later, no hot water. Um... Darn it, bypass valves!!! So I fried the gas element. Had to laugh at myself. Lucky we are at Wagonhammer RV camp outside Salmon, ID and we have power. First time I've used the electric water heater.

Any input from you gurus as to the best source or youtube for replacement instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Still laughing...
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:18pm
Wood River, hey I can identify with what you did.  And I would wager that many of us, including me have done the very same thing as well.  I did it my first year owning our 177.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Rookie mistake. After our Spring Break trip to Sedona, had to rewinterize upon returning home to Idaho. Headed out for the holiday weekend and flipped the switch for the gas water heater last night. 10 minutes later, no hot water. Um... Darn it, bypass valves!!! So I fried the gas element. Had to laugh at myself. Lucky we are at Wagonhammer RV camp outside Salmon, ID and we have power. First time I've used the electric water heater.

Any input from you gurus as to the best source or youtube for replacement instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Still laughing...
Jeff

There isn't a gas element, it's literally just a burner tube. You should be fine, as long as you didn't melt anything. (which I have never seen happen) Fill with water and turn it on.

The electrical element.. now that's a different story. Seen lots of those get destroyed. Luckily they are cheap and easy to replace. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:28pm
On you tube just type in replacing hot water element in travel trailer.  Pretty straightforward explanation on hot/what to do.  Elements run anywhere from 11 - 14 dollars depending on where you shop.  Takes about 10 minutes to replace, probably less if you have toasted yours more than onceLOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:24pm
LOL done it twice!! sh** happens! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand