R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge Protector - Recommendation - Event Date: 27 Mar 2018 - 31 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ronahue View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Surge Protector - Recommendation
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:56pm
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Times}

I believe it has to do weather resistance. This excerpt is from the Manual and it is the only reference to vertical usage. The best way to find out is to call Progressive  Technical Support 919-267-6964 | 6

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Helvetica}

Weather Resistant : Unit can be exposed to outside weather elements;

however, the unit may not be submerged. Unit is designed to be mounted

or used vertically.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:33pm
OurPodJourneys:  Very good question.  This would certainly would be a deal breaker for me also.

Anyone out there give us an answer?
Thank you my fellow ponders..
OurPodJourneys View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 3:45pm
I'm looking to purchase an EMS, have decided on the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X.  But first ... I've seen a couple of reviews that state as one negative about it is that it can only be used in the vertical position -- but without saying why that's bad.  Can anyone shed light on this?  Any reason that might be a deal breaker?
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:04pm
We have the PI hard wired unit and love it.  It paid for itself last week at LoLo Mai campground outside of Sedona.  It tripped for low voltage and then tripped a short time later with high voltage.  Saved my appliances and maybe my board.  Right at dinner time. Ran off of batteries and propane for an hour or two, mixed a cocktail (or two) and replugged...no problem.  Can't forget it, cause it's part of the pod.  No, I've never noticed it getting hot.  Yes, self install may void warenty.  I think pretty much any significant mod will void one or two warrenties.  

Working on a post to recap the trip.  2400 miles of desert fun.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 10:14am
I have an inline surge protector and am NOT concerned I will forget it and leave it. It is big and yellow:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:43am
Been reading up on the Progressive Industries portable vs. the hard-wired...saw on another forum where an RVer checked with Progressive about a self install of the hard-wired unit voiding the warranty. Not trying to scare anyone but 2 bullet points of reasons for a warranty void is as follows: Improper installation of a hard wired unit. We strongly recommend that a competent electrical professional perform the installation of hard wired units. and Maintenance of hard wired units performed by anyone other than a qualified RV dealer

IIRC, this RVer contacted Progressive and they confirmed the warranty could be voided if the owner installed it and maintained it. Kind of scares me out of purchasing one and installing it myself. Still thinking about the portable for that reason.

Any thoughts?
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Davidb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:01am
I went with the new portable EMS-PT30X, I was struggling before our trip to a popular State Park locating a cable lock such as the Master Lock719D that would fit through the metal locking tab on the EMS.

I felt awkward having the protector on "display" hanging from the power pedestal, so I ran my 30 amp extension cable from the pedestal to underneath the trailer next to the entrance door, plugged the EMS into the end, plugged the regular power cord into the EMS and connected other end to the power receptacle on the side of trailer.

I ended up using a small cable with loop ends and a regular padlock.

Now I could monitor the display without walking over to the power pedestal and the unit was out of sight.

This particular State Park (Grand Isle) sees a lot of air conditioner use during the hot summer months and a low power situation is a great possibility.

David

David
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:41pm
On our 180 the unit sits behind the fuse panel under the dinette seat.  We do not hear it but have read reviews saying there is a hum.  However others have posted that you just need a few rubber washers when screwing it into the floor and it stops the hum.  Seems it is more a vibration than a hum.  As far as heat is concerned, its basically pretty sealed but I never felt the walls of the dinette to be hot.  So I do not think it gets too hot.  But I never actually touched it while it was running to see if it got hot.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:32pm
Does the Progressive hard wired EMS-HW30C make any noise that can be heard in the camper.  I have read a couple of posts where they said it made a humming noise or a very low rattling sound.  I am debating on the hard wired or the portable unit and I certainly do not want to put a unit inside the camper that is going to be making a nuisance noise.  I know that the hard wired would be much simpler on the camping trail in that I would not have to bother with the portable unit, have it stolen, or forget it when in a hurry.  Also, when wired in, does it generate any heat?  If it did make a slight humming noise, could I wrap it loosely in some type of insulation, or would this be a bad idea?  Suggestions and comments, please.

Thank you fellow pooders
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
I second getting a hard wired unit.  It can be placed behind the electrical panel (or next to it on the new 189/190.  It is the EMS HW30C model and a few dollars cheaper than the portable.  Someone posted an excellent video on how to install it.  You just have to search for it.  Basically you splice it into the red hot wire coming from the ac line to the fusebox.  Then you run the included "phone line" for the control unit somewhere you can easily see it.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>