R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSealing/caulking awning and spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing/caulking awning and spoiler
    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:26pm
+1
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:21pm
FR is using this to seal the spoiler. I spoke with the manufacturer. Very helpful and probably the best alternative. Don’t use silicone. It does not adhere to the LDPE material of the spoiler. 270341437
XTRM Universal white non-SAG sealant. Google the part number and you will find it. It is allegedly a more aggressive version of non- sag Dicor. Mfg suggests bedding spoiler in it and caulking around it with it. Remove the foam tape, for it does nothing but make for spoiler war page. 
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:02pm
Maybe a stupid question.  Why have the spoiler or what does it really do?
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
When I was at the factory to pick ours up from being repaired, I asked that question.
1. I was told that with the original design, the wind coming down from the top tended to rip the cover off the spare tire. The spoiler changes the air flow so this does not happen.

What was mentioned in the forum is this.
2. The original design did not have the marker lights on the top. This provided a place to mount them.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:44pm
I noticed today a problem with the caulking on our escaPOD. The caulking applied when it went up to the factory for repair has mildewed. I took some bleach to it and most of the black mold is gone. I'll hit it up again if needed but will be looking to re-caulk those seams before we travel. I also intend to contact Forest River to ask about this.

Originally posted by Tibof

FR is using this to seal the spoiler. I spoke with the manufacturer. Very helpful and probably the best alternative. Don’t use silicone. It does not adhere to the LDPE material of the spoiler. 270341437
XTRM Universal white non-SAG sealant. Google the part number and you will find it. It is allegedly a more aggressive version of non- sag Dicor. Mfg suggests bedding spoiler in it and caulking around it with it. Remove the foam tape, for it does nothing but make for spoiler war page. 

Since the mildew was also visible in the sealant around the spoiler, I think I would avoid this product and go with the Dicor non-sag sealant instead. I have not noticed any mildew in the older sealant around the slide-out or on the brown Dicor self-leveling sealant that is on the flat parts of the roof.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:26pm
Meanwhile, my Eternabond sealing job is cruising along for over a year, absolutely trouble free.  

White vinegar and borax also help get rid of mold.  Can't say for the caulk, but bleach doesn't penetrate wood very well, thus only kills the surface stuff.  You need to get at the hyphae that are below the surface to really stop it.  There are also a bunch of mold and mildew cleaners available at marine supplies (it's a constant problem on boats) and they are compatible with fiberglass and caulkings.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:11pm
Bought a new spoiler from FR at full cost.  The original spoiler was too warped to work with.  Removed the old spoiler and cleaned up everything carefully.  Seal job was derelict.  Foam tape serves no purpose.  Unfortunately, the new spoiler has screw detents that do not match the original (and many original screws were installed at a 45 degree angle or worse), and fewer screws on the lower edge.  So had to use glue and dowels to fill old screw holes, since the new screws would be close in some instances.  Used 3M Scotchlok 314 connectors, as OEM in new spoiler, to connect wires fro running lights.  Then used 3M 4200 caulk to run a small bead over the dowel heads and holes for new screws (new stainless screws #8).  Then ran a ring finger size bead of the 4200 around roughed mating surface of spoiler and set it in place (two person job with a 2 X 8 sheet of plywood on roof for one person to be up there).  The little lip edge on the spoiler was left there.  Painters tape outlined the spoiler placement on the roof and prevented mess from squeeze out of caulk.  It's very sticky stuff.  Finally, after all the 4200 cured (24 hours), I ran a good bead of the XTRM Universal  non-sag sealant around the seam of the entire spoiler.  If that repair does not keep it dry, nothing will.  Just referencing my own, personal experience, the quality of work I encountered in the repair was very, very poor.  And, under the spoiler attaching screw points, there is no framing, just the filon sheeting.  IMHO, there's no excuse for this.  And it is not necessary as a cost saver in manufacturing.  BTW, the reason I settled on the 3M 4200 for a bedding sealant is that it is a very strong (though removable) adhesive as well as a sealant.  So I didn't have to use a full array of screws, and I screwed the spoiler down just to make contact with the roof, not to deform it.
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:20pm
My bad.  While the 3M data sheet specified 4200 as an adhesive/sealant for LDPE (which the spoiler is made of), it does not function that way.  I experimented with some on the old spoiler and it will peel off after cured.  My repair may still work well, however, because the 4200 does adhere quite well to the filon roof.  And the outer edge caulk is basically a Dicor type sealant and seems ok.  Lots of searching comes up with nothing that caulks/seals LDPE.  It is widely known as very difficult in this regard.  There is something that does adhere quite well, however, and was used by FR to seal the wiring hole and the running lights on the original 2015 spoiler (but not the new one).  I am trying to learn what that stuff is.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:50pm
I would think that you would want to keep the bottom (aft) part of the spoiler open i.e. no caulk. The idea being that you want to keep water from coming in from the top, but allow water to escape at the bottom.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:22pm
With all those holes in the roof from the old spoiler, I'd be inclined to put epoxy a fiberglass strip covering the footprint of the spoiler onto the roof.  You could add at least 2 - 4mm of thickness to the roof, making it a little stiffer, sealing the old screw holes, and giving you a fresh base on which to mount the new spoiler.  You'd have to sand the gelcoat to get a good bond, but I don't think the gelcoat is likely to be very thick.  West Systems makes really good epoxy products that would work for such a repair.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>