R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSealing/caulking awning and spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing/caulking awning and spoiler
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 4:50pm
We have not experienced screws pulling out. However, when the sun beats down on the black plastic, it can soften. That exacerbates the buckling between the screws. It does not appear that there is enough force to loosen them. Expansion and contraction of a metal spoiler would also have issues though perhaps not the same as those of the plastic spoiler.

As for cleaning with xylene, it is a rather aggressive solvent. It is not one I would use on my R-Pod. It is always best to see what the manufacturer of the product one wants to use recommends for surface preparation. Denatured alcohol is what Dicor recommends. If Eternabond also recommends it, then that is what I would use.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 10:36pm
Xylene is indeed an aggressive solvent.  I've used it on RV skins for years with no problem, as long as you don't let a dampened cloth sit on the surface.  Alcohol is often good, but not especially effective on caulks like silicone.  Naptha is also something that I use, for it is a common solvent for auto paint preparation.  After using the Xylene for cleaning the surface, perhaps I should hav e finished up with alcohol.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:53am
I have used Jasco Green Odorless Mineral Spirits to remove excess lap sealant followed by denatured alcohol to do the final surface preparation. That has worked well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:39am
Leo, You are definately in the minority.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:33pm
New spoiler arrived today.  Around the base at the edge is an applied spongy foam insulation type tape, about half an inch or so wide and 3/16 to 1/4 thick.  It has obvious joints in it that are not mated so as to seal.  The surface of the tape is just the foam, no adhesive.  The foam tape seems to have no function with respect to sealing.  It's just a cushion.  FR seems to say (I am seeking clarification) just screw it down and caulk around it.  IMHO, it would be better to remove the foam tape and bed the spoiler in windshield type butyl caulk.  Then caulk around it.  Unless I am really missing something, this is a real design flaw.  I believe the spoiler can be sealed (if that is even necessary), but not with the foam tape in place.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:19am
I agree. The foam tape is the problem. Without that, there would not be the pushing up between the screws.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:03am
Hi.....Are you saying that thereis a foam strip under the black metal trim. I tried, using longer screws, to close the gap at the forward edge of my M179, but still could not close it completely.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:20am
I have just been informed by FR that the foam tape is butyl.  Either this is something entirely new to me or FR is playing games.  The exposed surface of the tape is just like the stuff you would put around a door to keep out the draft.  There is no adhesive to it, except on the one attaching side. Moreover, it is applied in such a sloppy manner that it has seams that do not seal against one another,  My difficulty now is whether to use it as FR recommends (screw down and caulk around) or remove it and replace it with real butyl tape or viscous butyl caulk.  The only problem with real butyl tape is the spoiler is not rigid enough and the screws don't get enough bite to properly compress it.  But the caulk might work.  Insights?  Igblau, black metal trim?  Its just the plastic spoiler.  Then the foam tape under the edge.
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 12:55pm
Sorry Tibof...I got my posts mixed up, and put my mouth in motion before putting my mind in gear.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:37pm
Stephen, I finally ran across the 9/16 post of your spoiler repair.  First, has it lasted well.  Second, you mention running a bead of Dicor non-self leveling sealant before installing the spoiler, making sure to cover the screw holes.  Did you first remove the foam tape?  I have reached the tentative conclusion the foam tape may be to prevent air from entering and lifting the spoiler, for it certainly does not prevent water from entering.  My present inclination, while waiting for suitable weather, is to remove the foam tape and bed the spoiler in either the Dicor or a butyl viscous calk, or round butyl ribbon bedding tape (3/16", as the spoiler lip is 1/8" deep).  It would be good to learn from someone who has addressed this successfully, for a re-do is a lot of work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>