R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedportable air compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: portable air compressor
    Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm
Question from an R-pod newbie, but not new to rving. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a portable air compressor that will handle the pressures required for the R-pod tires? I have had difficulty finding one in the past that would handle my motorhome tires. Thankfully that is gone and no longer a problem! I'd like something small and lightweight as I like to check my tires frequently. Thanks for the help.
F150/R-pod171
gizeh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:37pm
You might want to check this out:

Edit: fixed link - techntrek
John and Linda
175 r-pod, Ford F-250
'89 Alaskan camper
'62 VW Bug
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 4:49pm
I could hit your tires with about 800 pounds of CO2 for ya!  They would inflate real fast!LOLLOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Sistahs

Question from an R-pod newbie, but not new to rving. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a portable air compressor that will handle the pressures required for the R-pod tires? I have had difficulty finding one in the past that would handle my motorhome tires. Thankfully that is gone and no longer a problem! I'd like something small and lightweight as I like to check my tires frequently. Thanks for the help.

When we had the motorhome and after that the fifth wheel I carried a compressor large enough  to handle the high PSI and very rarely used it.

A few years ago I started to have all of my tires  inflated with Nitrogen, no heat buildup and therefore no pressure changes. I will do the same with the Pod tires, including the spare and therefore don't need that heavy compressor any more.

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 8:36am
Originally posted by gizeh

You might want to check this out:

I like!  I keep 12 volt compressors in all my vehicles (and tire plug kits, and pliers) and have never been happy with the cheap models.  This one I may have to buy.

BTW, over the last 20 years I have only had one tire that I couldn't fix on the side of the road.  As long as the damage isn't to the sidewall and isn't too large, the plug kit will fix it.  The only hole I couldn't fix was due to a large bolt.  And it takes about the same amount of time as it would take to jack up the vehicle and change out the tire but with less effort, and usually its fixed for good.  You need the pliers to get the nail/screw out of the tire.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by photog

Originally posted by Sistahs

When we had the motorhome and after that the fifth wheel I carried a compressor large enough  to handle the high PSI and very rarely used it.

A few years ago I started to have all of my tires  inflated with Nitrogen, no heat buildup and therefore no pressure changes. I will do the same with the Pod tires, including the spare and therefore don't need that heavy compressor any more.

BTW, the biggest part of the air is nitrogen.   So I wouldn't think there would be that big of a difference between using air and using nitrogen.  Although nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules.  I don't know what nitrogen cost but for $12.00 I can fill about 20 tires that range from 32" to 38" diameter.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 10:18am
Thanks, gizeh, for the specifics. Really appreciate the info. Wish I still had any one of my many VW bugs!
F150/R-pod171
gizeh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 10:43am
And thank you for your response, Sistahs.  That VW bug was my first car - purchased used for $250 many moons ago.  I've been offered thousands but never had the heart to sell it and I still use it daily to get about town.  Rag top and all original. Tell me about your VWs sometime. The r-pod is a natural progression, don't you think?   My husband did the research on the air compressor.  So glad if it helped.
John and Linda
175 r-pod, Ford F-250
'89 Alaskan camper
'62 VW Bug
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 4:51pm
When I bought my new SUV...I asked my very honest dealer about Nitrogen filled tires.  His reply was
he could certainly supply them and additional Nitrogen when needed.  But he said it was unnecessary. More importantly, checking the air pressure and keeping it fully inflated worked just as well.  No extra cost involved.  Google a couple of automotive websites and you will see that the majority of experts believe that Nitrogen filled tires is mostly a sales gimmick.  Sort of like the
metal blades you can put in your engine air-intake to get 100mph or more.
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply