R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhot water faucet problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hot water faucet problem
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:20pm
Charlie, you should post Charlie's law................  LOL priceless!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I bought the cheapest hose I could find in Home Depot.  It's made in the USA.  Surprisingly, there are still a lot of plastic products made here.

If it does not state specifically that it is drinking water safe, then it is questionable. I would not use it. Whether you do is up to you. Made in USA is not a guarantee of safe for drinking. See this link:

http://saferchemicals.org/newsroom/new-study-rates-best-and-worst-garden-hoses/
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:19pm
I've been drinking out of hoses for nearly 70 years and I ain't died yet.  Yes, if you leave the water sitting in a hose it gets warm and tastes lousy, so run it until it's nice and cool and doesn't smell like the hose.  If the water is going to sit, like when you're hooked to city water, that's a hose of a different color.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I've been drinking out of hoses for nearly 70 years and I ain't died yet.  Yes, if you leave the water sitting in a hose it gets warm and tastes lousy, so run it until it's nice and cool and doesn't smell like the hose.  If the water is going to sit, like when you're hooked to city water, that's a hose of a different color.
The lousy taste comes from the plastic/rubber and other components that the hose is made of. Your tongue is trying to tell you something.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:58pm
Potable versus Palatable. If you use a municipal water source, it is treated. I get a kick out of folks who sanitize. Did you not think you were running sanitized water in your system? Are you using creek water maybe rain water, bottom line is it's treated water unless otherwise labeled. More chemicals than a cup of bleach in a 30 gal tank.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:15pm
Yes, GlueGuy, I know it comes from the plastic from which the hose is made.  That's precisely why I always have run the water until the odor and bad taste is long gone.  Though no one has measured it, free running water doesn't likely have enough bad stuff to hurt you any more than the plastic catsup bottle that has nice acidic tomato juice eating the sides away.  If it was really all that dangerous, with millions and millions of people drinking from all sorts of hoses world wide, there would be an effort to put CA prop 61 warnings onto the body of every hose.  In the grand scheme, there are plenty of other things to worry about that will kill you before garden hose water.

By the way, I think it is more likely your nose telling you it smells and tastes bad, unless it's bitter, sour, salty, or sweet.  Thankfully, our noses have saved human kind from many pathogens. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:05am
Almost 2 years ago my wife and I happened to see a Primos Water system at our local Lowes.

Delivers hot or cold water at the touch of a button. Has one of those big 5 gallon plastic water bottles sitting on top to supply the water.

Well I am ok with spending 100$ for convenience. But I truly hate being anyone's cash cow.
So a 14$ home filter kit from Amazon that came with 2 carbon filters, some inovative plumbing and the system is mounted to the wall in laundry room next to sump pump. First trial, water tasted like hose.

Hmmm, ok, lets try a newer better piece of hose for the water connection. Better but still not perfect.

Hey, sump pit and pump is right here, lets flush it.

Well it got plumbed in where it got plumbed in, in part because there is a line feeding an outside hose there. In part because before that was a faucett with hose adapter that used to feed a pet waterer.  And in part because before all of it is a ball valve.

Walk downstairs with empty jug. Crank ball valve, (water filter output goes into a pipe whichs goes direct to sump) wait to hear sump pump run.  Put pipe in jug, fill.

No taste, no problems, no cost. Minor amounts of plumbing parts needed.
Momma has cold water on tap all day as she needs. Dad has hot water for coffee and tea without waiting.

Just have not figured where I can find the space to put it in the pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12