Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Peeve - pun intended
    Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:42am

Over the years it seems that an increasing number of facilities are becomming less and less "pet friendly".  Frankly, I don't blame them!  A certain number of campers seem to feel that confining their pets applies to "everybody else".  This, dispite the fact, that I have yet to stay in a campground that did not have a rule requiring so (usually a 6' leash).

Here is how I restrain Dixie:

In the picture, she looks close to the road, but is actually about 4' away (the ground is sloping down sharply from the road).  While hard to see, there is a plastic coated steel cable (red) on the end of her 6' leash, which is tied to a picnic table (there were 2).  She could get no closer than 4' to the road and was confined to my campsite only.  I have 2 such cables (a 10' and a 20') and along with her leash, can adjust to make sure she stays within the campsite.  I have not once had any problems with individuals or Park Rangers using this set up.  Yes, it is against the rules (6'leash), but it seems as long as she/we are not causing problems, nothing is said.  I was also at a campsite at the end of a dead end road to nowhere, so I gave her a little more "leash" than usual.  (The road actually endeda few feet behind me)

Let me relate the following....during this same camping trip, campers across and down the road a couple of sites, were not restraining their dog.  It was a large older dog and seemed to be well behaved and friendly.  Another camper, with 2 Yorkies, came walking by - just out for a stroll and exercise.  Curiosity got the better of the older dog and he came out onto the road, scared the Yorkies (much yapping and leash pulling) and scared/angered the owner.  Words were exchanged.  "My dog ain't hurt'en nobody"

True - nobody was physically injured in the encounter.  However, it made for a scary, unpleasant situation for the Yorkies and their owner.  I have given up on walking my pet thru the campgrounds.  More times than not, somebody's dog charges out of a campsite and challenges us.  While Dixie, being a young German Shepherd, could likely hold her own in any altercation, still she might get injured and the whole situation is unpleasant and doesn't need to happen. 

The rules are there for a reason -to make camping a happy experience for everyone.  If we all use a little common sense and not cause problems, we can all enjoy it much better.  Those who do not confine their pets are going to ruin it for all - pets will be banned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234