Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreetings From The Clone Family

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings From The Clone Family
    Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:28pm
Hello all, just wanted to drop in and say hello.

First off, my wife and I looked at many TT's, including A-frames, Hi-Lo's, R-pods, etc.

We really liked the R-pods, but we were out looking one day and ran across a Hummingbird 17RK (i.e. R-pod 179) and it seemed to fit us, so we bought it in Nov. 2016.

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way........yes - "I do" own a flame suit and it it's currently zipped all the way up Big smile!

Since we were one of the first to purchase a Hummingbird, I had to lurk over here to learn about mods and found a lot of great ideas that I'm very appreciative for.  About a month ago we were camping at Roan Mountain State Park in East TN and on the second day a lady with a really cool Jeep and R-pod pulled in across from us.  We started chatting and she let me know that there was an R-pod rally there over the upcoming weekend and we were soon surrounded.  I was worried for a little bit from all the stares, but as we started meeting people and trading stories I was reminded that even though we're the "clones", we still all shared similar interests.  I also realized how similar our TT's really are.....yeah, yeah.....they should be since ours is a copy Tongue.  Anyhow, all the people were really nice and the nice lady from the Atlanta area is now one of our friends and we share stories and mod ideas, I'd say it was about even in that we each picked up about the same amount of ideas from each other and really went through both of our rigs to compare notes.  It was a cool experience.

So to the point, thanks for allowing me to join in and thanks for the info shared on your forum.  I will post a link to by mod thread for anyone interested in hopes of giving somebody an idea for the future and will chime in occasionally on tech stuff if I think I can offer any valuable input.  And yes, I will endure all the deserved ribbing quietly since I am in your house Embarrassed.

Thanks,

The Clones

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:58pm
Welcome to the group!! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:37pm
Welcome and nice rig! Love traveling in toy hauler mode!!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:37am
I wonder how you can make tight turns with kayaks and bikes loaded on the pick up. I bought racks that i thought i would carry the kayaks on, but if i need to make a sharp turn, the bikes and kayaks will hit. And if i am backing into a spot, same issue. I may have to reassess this. I have the same bike rack as you, not the jack it, but a tongue mount.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:40am
GET OUT!!!

and go camping.. Wink Smile

I seriously doubt you will get flamed here, we try to be/do better then that.

Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:32am
Welcome 01 Tundra.  Nice mods.  I checked out your link and mods.  You are quite the blacksmith/metal bender. 

I'd enjoy chatting more about your tire choice.  On the pod, the Hood River Editions come with Westlake 235 15 75's a C-rated tires.  On the positive, I like the off road tread for getting off the beaten path, which we have plenty of here in Idaho.  The negatives, c-rated and over specs on the tire.  I too have researched trading tires out for a better rated tire, but no 235 options exist.  I really don't want to drop down to a 225 and lose any clearance, however minor it might be. 
What were the 235's that came on your hb originally?

I'll shoot you a PM.
Thanks
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
01tundra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I wonder how you can make tight turns with kayaks and bikes loaded on the pick up. I bought racks that i thought i would carry the kayaks on, but if i need to make a sharp turn, the bikes and kayaks will hit. And if i am backing into a spot, same issue. I may have to reassess this. I have the same bike rack as you, not the jack it, but a tongue mount.

Our bikes are mounted on the factory tongue rack on the TT (Lippert Jack-It bike rack).

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Components-429756-2-Bike-Carrier/dp/B01MYRM7MM

The boats are carried on an Adarac bed rack.

https://www.amazon.com/Access-70510-Adarac-Truck-Chevrolet/dp/B004AVQILA/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513465740&sr=1-3&keywords=adarac

01tundra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Welcome 01 Tundra.  Nice mods.  I checked out your link and mods.  You are quite the blacksmith/metal bender. 

I'd enjoy chatting more about your tire choice.  On the pod, the Hood River Editions come with Westlake 235 15 75's a C-rated tires.  On the positive, I like the off road tread for getting off the beaten path, which we have plenty of here in Idaho.  The negatives, c-rated and over specs on the tire.  I too have researched trading tires out for a better rated tire, but no 235 options exist.  I really don't want to drop down to a 225 and lose any clearance, however minor it might be. 
What were the 235's that came on your hb originally?

I'll shoot you a PM.
Thanks
Jeff

Since we went with the Baja option the factory tires were P-rated 235/75R15 (can't remember the brand name, but never heard of them).  The closest thing I could find in the Maxxis M8008's was 225/75R15 D-rated, 8-ply but we didn't really lose much (if any) ground clearance since the new tires don't bulge like the factory tires did. I'm running them at their max pressure of 65 psig, also had metal stems installed on all three wheels since I knew we were going to run a TPMS system.

The factory tires were awful, you could watch them bouncing non-stop going down the road, passenger tires aren't enough even for a light trailer like our IMO (even though it's not all that light - 3,780 LB GVWR / 480 LB TW).

I looked at the Goodyear Endurance, but they only had E-rated, 10 ply in the size we needed and I thought that may be a little too much.  The factory wheels are only rated for 80 psig max so E-rated would've been pushing the rating on the rims as well. 
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by furpod

GET OUT!!!

and go camping.. Wink Smile

I seriously doubt you will get flamed here, we try to be/do better then that.

I second that welcome to the Clone Family! Not to mention your humor and sense of fun (let's start with trailer, bikes, kayaks), and sharing mods and other info. Very glad you folks found your way here. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply