R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charging
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Originally posted by GlueGuy

One question to ask is whether the 12V outlet on the generator is actually 12V, or something more intended to actually "charge" batteries. You need quite a bit more than 12V to actually charge a 12V battery. The absorption voltage for a lead acid battery is going to be "about" 14.6 - 14.8 volts. The float voltage for a 12V battery is going to be "about" 13.5 volts.

So if that 12V output is not going to between 13.5 and 14.6 volts, it won't really charge a battery.

This is why you need an actual charger that can deal with this.

It's meant for charging batteries; not as a source for 12v power.  But I've never cared to use it so I haven't actually checked the voltage.  And as far as I know, it's not controlled.  Whatever it does, I think it does it all the time.

TT

What I have learned, subject to interpretation, 6amp charge with no stages or control. 
Now, that's bad for general charging, but for the 'beef-up' charge.. not a bad thing if you know what you're doing.

There is is theory of 'over-charge' reaching 15.5v (read on 6v systems) that obviously extends the Ah without hurting the Batteries. The claim is to use a 'constant' charge (which the generator would do) for no longer than 2hrs (or reaching 15.5v). Remember, to all that try this, this is a theory being processed. 
So far sounds good but... Only still a theory.. 

Pushing beyond chargeable rates could reduce cycles of charge..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 4:32pm
Multi-stage chargers will start at bulk charge, where they are usually current limited. Once the battery voltage reaches the absorption level (in the 14.6 to 14.8 volt range, the charger should switch to voltage limited, and monitor the current being absorbed by the battery. Some chargers will just set a timer and run at the absorption voltage for a couple of hours. Smarter chargers will watch the current until it reaches a pre-programmed level (to indicate the battery is "full".

Once that level has been reached, the charger should switch to float level, which is going to be in the 13.5 volt area.

You can calculate the power of the WFCO charger by multiplying the maximum current (55 amps), by the peak voltage at the end of the bulk cycle (~~ 14.7 volts). That is about 800 watts.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

You can calculate the power of the WFCO charger by multiplying the maximum current (55 amps), by the peak voltage at the end of the bulk cycle (~~ 14.7 volts). That is about 800 watts.

On top of that, as soon as the charger gets AC power, it will also power all of the 12 volt circuits in the Pod, adding to the power draw.

A big reason why so many people are unable to run their air conditioner with a 2kW generator is because their charger is often drawing significant power to charge their battery and run all of the 12 volt items.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:30am
I sometimes use my camper for extended living, and/or traveling. I want AC when I need it. I have two Honda generators. Problem solved.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:04am
Edit: deleted quote from a spammer

Well, I'm so far past this now (this was back in 2017) and never did buy a 'geeny', I've had no need. Between the solar I added and the DC/DC charging (from the TV). Good power management, solid quality batteries have done it for us!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Well, I'm so far past this now (this was back in 2017) and never did buy a 'geeny', I've had no need. Between the solar I added and the DC/DC charging (from the TV). Good power management, solid quality batteries have done it for us!

Am curious as to what style batteries you ended up purchasing.  I ask because one of my 12v deep cycle batteries is no longer holding a good charge, in fact after giving it a 24 hour 2 amp trickle charge and letting it rest for 6 hours before taking a reading it only reads 12.49 v.  Then again it will be 11 years old come this December.  It is a group size 24 Interstate.  The other one (same name and size) is 4 months newer and still performs very nicely for this boondocker.

I am seriously looking at the Trojan T-1275 (12v).  Weight is 85 lbs and comes with a 150 amp hour rating.  They are not as popular in the golf cart industry as they once were, most 48 volt systems have gone to the 8v batteries, which obviously won't work for our application on the 177.  I am not worried about tongue weight as I added a couple used rotors to the front so I can keep my tongue weight over 300 lbs and that is with a full FW tank, which is located behind the axle.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 7:02am
With the rPod I ran dual 6v's from Batteries R Us (Duracell). I've heard just as good reports on the Interstate 6v's (Costco?). At 230 (+-) amp hour each. I ran these as low as 60% giving me ~140amps of usage before getting serious for recharge. Since we don't stay put for more than 3 days, this worked out very well. 

Now with the Overlander, I'm running a 90ah lithium and using a DC/DC system from the trucks alternator. I do have 120w of solar as a backup for any extended stay.

I'm a big fan of lithium, just not a big fan of the 'overpriced' batteries/setups out there. 

Safe Travels
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:02pm
Jato, just a comment, take it or leave it.

I don't think you will like the deep cycle golf cart batteries. They will need more charging over the winter (higher self discharge rates) and won't last anywhere near as long as what youre replacing (higher internal corrosion rates).

I recommend the deep cycle golf cart batteries for most folks who aren't paying close attention to their battery state of charge because they tolerate low SOC well. But you watch your batteries like a hawk and don't have that problem.

So my recommendation is to stay with what has been working well for you for the past 10 years. Just my $0.02.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:08pm
OG.  Question time. How low can I take a golf cart battery down before 'hurting it.'  Seems like a dumb question coming from a golf course superintendent who has worked a lot with electric golf carts but honestly all we ever did on the electric side was to keep corrosion off cables, keep electrolyte levels up, keep batteries and surrounds CLEAN, and charge after so many rounds of golf.  In addition there were times where a cart or two would get missed, get sent out, and then run out of juice to the point it was unable to move at all and would have to be towed in.

My other reason for moving in this direction is weight.  With the additional nearly 40# tongue weight I can now rid myself of carrying some old brake rotors in the front stow area freeing up valuable storage space under my table seating area. 

I was looking for discharge rates on the Trojan website but didn't find what I was looking for.  How much do I lose per week and I suppose temp enters into that equation as well.  It has been rather simple for the 12v deep cycle Interstates: 24-36 hours at 2 amps first week in November, let sit on the concrete floor in an unheated garage and 'hibernate,'  the following late April or early May repeat the charge cycle that was done in November and then re-install thereafter. 

Would I be looking at a monthly or maybe every 2 months doing a trickle charge?  I would monitor things weekly anyway but figure you probably already know 'the numbers.' Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
I get the idea of using heavier batteries to increase tongue weight.

Good questions.

I'll refer you to Trojan's maintenance instructions for self discharge and frequency of recharge. They're saying 4-6 week intervals but it might be longer for you because of your cold storage conditions. Google "Trojan battery users guide" and download the PDF.

For cycle life vs depth of discharge take a look at the curve in the attachment from Northern AZ wind and Sun. This is generic but should be ok for pretty much any GC deep cycle battery

Bear in mind that just because you shallow cycle a GC battery doesn't mean you'll actually get thousands of cycles out of it as the curve indicates. That's because it is running down it's clock on shelf/corrosion life at the same time as it's running down it's cycle life. Whichever runs out first, that's the end of life. In other words, I doubt you'll get more than about 5 years of life out of GC batteries even if you don't cycle them at all, and probably not even that long. It's all really a trade off between cycle and shelf life.

cycle life

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>