R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing with or without sway/weight distribution - Event Date: 10 Nov 2017 - 03 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavMar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: towing with or without sway/weight distribution
    Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 3:16pm
This is one of those "to each their own" kind of decisions. I for one would not tow, especially a single axle trailer, without a anti-sway bar. I also opted for safety reasons (better handling) since I'm using a pickup truck as my tow vehicle which is light in the rear end a weight distribution hitch. As for crazy weather on the road camping, for us its flip a coin, wait it out or bug out before the weather turns bad.  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
absolutely.  Waiting is always the safe way to go when weather gets crazy (e.g. downburst thunderstorms or major frontal movements).  Why I thought I wouldn't need swd systems.  I'm retired, so can wait and go when best weather is available.  But, there can always be surprise weather or just gotta get home or to site thinking when that weather does pop up and if something less than extreme, then you're better covered.  If extreme, then no matter what stop and wait.  Be safe.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Leo B

I figure that if the wind is bad enough that I don't want to drive in it.................then I will stay a day or two extra and fishBig smile

We sat for three hours this June just outside of Salt Lake City when we were heading west.  Strong crosswinds, and the state police had the road closed to high profile vehicles.  The guy just in front of us in a class c was having a tantrum about having to wait.  When we were allowed to go nine semis were blown over and off the road over the next twenty miles.  Two conclusiions:

1. A WDH wouldn't have helped
2. waiting was a good thing.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
We have a Toyota Highlander with the tow package.  When we originally got our 179 we only opted for a sway bar only.  We made several long trips including one down to Zion's  NP for a 10 day spring break trip.  No problems and the sway bar did it's job.  Logging all of that highway time I came to not like the raised front end of the car from the weight of the pod on the rear end/hitch.  Found us with unsure footing on gravel or other loose road.  Then I followed the wife and son home from a trip up in Salmon, ID.  I watched the pod bounce down the road on narrow two lane road along the Salmon River with no shoulders or real pull-offs.  Ended up doing lots of research here and other places and end up with the Fastway e2 Trunnion.  What a difference.  Easy to set up and it makes a huge difference.  Levels the car out and takes the bounce out of the pod.  If you have concerns, I'd highly recommend.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
I figure that if the wind is bad enough that I don't want to drive in it.................then I will stay a day or two extra and fishBig smile
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:22am
tlhanks for all the input.  I researched the Anderson system and it looks great and with great reviews.  A couple of possible quirks, but that may be poor installation or bad parts.  Overall it looks lightweight, easy to set up, quiet, and greaseless.  No bars to break legs.  Pod is in hibernation at the moment, but before I go for any longer trip again, I'll prob install this system.  Better safe than sorry is right.
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:14am
I have only towed WITH wdh. I am one of those better to have and not need, than need and not have guys. I figure the cost of having it is minimal, and the potential cost of property or life without it is great. Anything that improves my safety and is affordable, is a win. I'll never know if i didnt need it, cause i'll always have it. Some may one day find out they DID need it, i hope not. I liken it to, i could probably close my eyes and cross my street everyday, and maybe i'll never get hurt. But Is it worth the risk? That's everyones decision to make. Some will say yes, others will say no.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:53am
We tow our 179 with both our Grand Caravan and the Ford F-150, no sway/wdh. Have been up and down the coast, without any problems so far. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:48am
Once you get west of the Mississippi, wind will not be your friend.
zappapod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:37am
thanks.  I checked out the Anderson system, looks pretty simple to use.  Like that.  Anyone else got one of these care to comment?
2017.5 178 (Blue Bell)
2005 Tundra Double Cab
Outer Banks Bound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>