R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadiant barrier for tent-end models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiant barrier for tent-end models
    Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 1:13pm

This was originally posted in another thread, I'm reposting it here so its available where everyone can find it.

There is a solution for the tent-end when its very hot or cold.  I'll preface this by saying that I don't think you'll need it.  The A/C and heater in the 'pod are oversized for the job and could easily keep a trailer twice the size of the 'pod cool or warm.  In my popup we only had a problem when we were in direct sunlight above 90F, or below 40F.

If you do have a problem, you can go with a commercial solution or a homemade solution.  In either case the solution is a "radiant barrier", basically aluminum foil.  You can try Popup Gizmos for an easy and well-respected solution used in the popup world.  You can also buy a roll of radiant barrier (either foil or bubble-wrap type) and cut a sheet to size.  Drape it over the top and clamp it down with spring clamps.  One problem with the foil type is constant movement from wind can make holes in the barrier and also rub some foil dust into the tenting.

We only used this during early-season trips when it dipped into the 30's, or during our annual trip to the beach.  Most other times we were camped in the shade or it was cool enough even in the sun.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 9:38pm
Boy I sure wish we would have know about this when we had our pop-up.  We camped in spring and fall when the temps got down into the low to mid 30's at night.  We had a feather bed and feather comforter to keep us warm.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:49pm
I completely forgot to mention another part of using Reflectix (radiant barrier) in the tent-end.  You can cut pieces of the radiant barrier to fit into the windows.  We used this all the time, even when it wasn't too hot or cold, because it kept it dark in the morning.  We like to sleep in.  But this also helped as much as the cover over the roof to keep the heat and cold out.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply