Topic Closedjjbescher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: jjbescher
    Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 9:07am
My camping experience is very limited.  My idea of camping was to go out in the backyard, pitch a tent and drag extension cords to the tent so I could have electricity.

Why the r-pod?  Well, I travel a decent amount on the weekends to Flyball(Relay Racing for Dogs) tournaments with my dogs, wife and now newborn.  We would stay in the cheap hotels, the ones that would allow dogs or hotels that were about $100 a night.  I would have to pack and unpack the car way too many times and with a newborn that meant extra stuff.  We had friends on our team that had a Class C RV and that is what I thought I needed(Still want one).  Then, another person on our team got the Jayco Jayfeather 17C.  They were able to tow it with their minivan.

So, I started to look at the Hydrid Trailers.  I found the Rockwood Roo and really like it, however the weight was still high along with the price.  Well, I was looking around and came upon the r-pod.  I forgot which website I originally saw it at, but I saw the weight and the floorplans.  I was very impressed.  So, I looked around and found websites that were close to where I lived in North Carolina.  One showed most of the models, even the "T" models.

I contacted one of the dealers and the only "T" trailer they had was the 173T, the one that I liked the most.  The 172T was nice, just not enough sitting room without major modifications to the bunks.  So after the Snowstorm of '10, they have had schools closed for three days, I ended up driving to the dealer and looking at the 173T.  I fell in love with it.  Am I worried about the tent part of it, a little, but if it too cold outside or even too warm, I can close the Tent part and now just have a 173.

I pick it up Friday 2/5/2010Big smileBig smileBig smile.  I can not wait.  There are already modifications I want to make to it thanks to some of the things I have seen on this website and the other one.  I am so glad to have found the sites as they have been very helpful in answering some of the questions I had.  I know I have many more questions, but they will come once I get it.

I know a lot of you want to see pictures of a "T" model, I will do my best to get some up as soon I can. 

I get to try it out on the February 12 and the 13th, I will post some reviews of it after that weekend.

I unfortunately can not make it to the Eastern Roundup, I would love too, but it is too far to travel with not enough vacation days.  Maybe someone can organize a mini one in NC, SC or VA.

Sorry for the long post.
jon

'10 R-pod 173T. TV - '03 Honda Pilot
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 10:29am
Congrats!!  I'll be looking for the pics & review.  Do a review of the dealership also.  That helps people that are still looking to buy.  Almost forgot:  WELCOME to our site!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
jjbescher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 10:30am
I will do a review of the Dealer after I pick it up.  So far the Dealer has been great.

jon
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 1:02pm

Definitely want to see the pics, and I also want to welcome you.

I want to let you know there is a solution for the tent-end when its very hot or cold.  I'll preface this by saying that I don't think you'll need it.  The A/C and heater in the 'pod are oversized for the job and could easily keep a trailer twice the size of the 'pod cool or warm.  In my popup we only had a problem when we were in direct sunlight above 90F, or below 40F.

If you do have a problem, you can go with a commercial solution or a homemade solution.  In either case the solution is a "radiant barrier", basically aluminum foil.  You can try Popup Gizmos for an easy and well-respected solution used in the popup world.  You can also buy a roll of radiant barrier (either foil or bubble-wrap type) and cut a sheet to size.  Drape it over the top and clamp it down with spring clamps.  One problem with the foil type is constant movement from wind can make holes in the barrier and also rub some foil dust into the tenting.

We only used this during early-season trips when it dipped into the 30's, or during our annual trip to the beach.  Most other times we were camped in the shade or it was cool enough even in the sun.

I'm going to repost this on another forum here since this applies to all tent-end models.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 1:34pm
Congratulations on your new Pod and welcome to the group.  I hope you have many happy journeys in your RP173T.  I own it's "older cousin" - just the plain RP173.  Keep us posted on your developments and pictures are always great.
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 12:08pm
Excellent.  Happy days to you and welcome to podland! Tongue
four peas
jjbescher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:15pm
No pictures yet.  I have been working hard on getting it ready to take it out this upcoming weekend.  I have had to cut out reflectix for the tent part of it.  I am working on making railings for the part above the microwave.

The pull-out part is 5'WX4'L.  The air mattress goes over part half of the couch of the 173.  Although they say it sleeps 6, you could probably only get 5.  Two on the air mattress, two on the dinette bed and 1 on half of the couch, which would make it inconvenient for those on the air mattress to get up.

I hope to start taking pictures after I get everything set-up.  It may not be till after next weekend.  If you have any questions about the 173T, please let me know.

jon
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:48pm
I completely forgot to mention another part of using Reflectix (radiant barrier) in the tent-end.  You can cut pieces of the radiant barrier to fit into the windows.  We used this all the time, even when it wasn't too hot or cold, because it kept it dark in the morning.  We like to sleep in.  But this also helped as much as the cover over the roof to keep the heat and cold out.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:26pm
jjbescher....welcome and congratulations.  You'll enjoy it very much especially with the new born.  No more lugging in and out of cheap hotels.  We have a dog too and can appreciate where you are coming from.  It'll be so much cleaner then those hotel rooms for the new born.  Happy traveling.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

jjbescher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:48am
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. It helps when NC is freezing at this point.

I am still at the point of getting the 173T warm enough.  We have slept in it twice.  On Saturday, only reflectix in the very small back window and my wife woke up at 2:30 in the morning freezing.  She said the air mattress was like sleeping on a block of ice.  So on Sunday, I spent cutting out the reflectix to put in the bigger windows on the side and putting it on both sides of the fold down piece.  The inside piece was easy, but the outside piece I had to cut out holes for all the little hinges and stuff.

I decided to try to sleep in the tent end on Sunday night and it seemed fine to me.   No block of ice.  I think the reflectix helped out a lot.  We are still getting a heated mattress pad to put over the air mattress and that should help.

I really will not be able to get work on it till Thursday, by the time I get home from work and coaching it is dark and cold.

I really have enjoyed all reading about all the mods and was planning on doing some of them myself.  It turns out I think Forest River has actually listened to their customer.  I do not need to make the mod to get under the couch easier because they made it so that piece can come off very easy.

I did buy pieces for railing over the microwave.  When measuring it is over 2' X 2' and was able to buy a 4' piece and just cut in half.  I have not installed it yet, pieces cut and stained, but need to still be put in.

I am thinking having the rpod will save me probably about 2 hours of packing and unpacking for a weekend trip.  I realize that there is going to be set-up and take down time, but I normally make about 3 or 4 trips to the car when packing and unpacking, then just going to where I need to go there is normally a couple of trips.  I figured I can sleep in or relax about an extra hour every day.

It is also going to act as storage for some of the stuff I use to have to leave at my parents house and all around my house.

I am so excited about this weekend to use it.

jon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>