R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeverage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leverage
    Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 4:59pm
   I was deciding between two hitch bars from the hitch pin hole to the center of the hitch ball is 8 1/2 inches on one and the other 10 inches. For a trailer tongue weight of 300 Lbs. does the hitch weight change much on the tow vehicle extending the hitch bar 1 1/2 inches. This I think would be a engineering question is there a chart or formula to know the weight difference. I ended up choosing the longer bar for more clearence in opening our hatch back on our saturn vue. But I thought later about the possible weight change on the hitch.     David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:37am
No engineer here, but I've never heard of this being an issue on any of the camping forums I visit.  Logically you would get more leverage with the longer bar but I imagine it has little difference with the thousand+ pounds of instantaneous force you get as you bounce down the road.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:22am
We saw a Casita on the beach at Corpus Christy last week end . It had about 3 feet added on to the hitch so they could mount their generator looked like a 3000. Now this is ok if you tow with a tank otherwise i would think the added weight would be great problem with sway and bounce. I don't think i would care to try it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 12:42pm
D&D - I've wrestled with the question for hours and have come to the following conclusion:

I am not smart enough to answer your question.  Also, sadly, I will probably never be smart enough to answer your question.  Cry

However, if I were smart enough, I might answer it something like this......
I don't think it will have any effect on the trailer.  Reason indicates that shifting the load further back from the rear axle would have the same effect as increasing the load nearer the rear axle, on the tow vehicle.  I doubt that 2" is anything to be of great concern (2 feet, maybe) as your class 3 hitch should handle it just fine.  My advise - hitch up and go camping...the sooner the better!

Hope to see you "out there"
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:57pm

Thankyou for your answers, I didn"t even think about the bouncing up and down. It sounds like 1 1/2 inches will not make much of a noticeable difference. We have our new hitch mounted and are ready to go camping next opurtunity we have. We are looking forward to the roundup in Kentucky. 

David and Danette
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:44pm
A lever and pivot doesn't increase or decrease the weight of an object.  Instead, the longer moment arm of the lever allows you to spread out (over time) the energy required to move an object.  Instead of a single, quick grunt to raise a rock 10", you could use a lever and fulcrum to spread out the time required to raise the rock and reducing the momentary effort.  By pushing on the free end of the lever and moving it a greater distance (say... 4') you can raise the rock 10" with less momentary energy applied over a longer time.  But, in the end, you expend the same total amount of energy, the rock still weighs the same, and you still raise it 10".

But, setting that explanation aside for a minute: if you look at your trailer tongue and vehicle's hitch, you'll see that there is no fulcrum involved at all*.  Its just a weight sitting on the end of a bar attached to the back of your vehicle.  The tongue weight doesn't change simply because the bar is longer.

-----
*Technically, this isn't quite true.  Your vehicle's rear axle acts as a fulcrum.  If your goal is to raise your vehicle's front tires off the ground, you could use a very long receiver as a lever; when you add the trailer's tongue weight, the lever and pivot would raise your front tires off the ground.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:47pm
Yes, the tongue weight doesn't change at rest no matter what the draw bar/lever length.  But as you bounce down the road the weight can become several times the original due to the downward g-forces (no relation to the length of the lever).  Stick on a 3 foot lever to mount a genset on a platform and I'm sure you'll feel it up front.  Both in steering as the front wheels get lifted upward and in trailer sway - a big contributor to sway is the distance between the rear axle and the ball.  But an extra 1 1/2 inches, no big deal.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:59am
     Thankyou again, now I understand it a lot better, very good explanations. It is so good to have teachers to explain things so that they can be easily understood. This is another reason why the Rpod owners forum is great for Poders.          David and Danette
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply