R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire discussion
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:36am
I have a 2015 179 with around 10,000 miles on original equipment ST205/R75 "class C" tires. My max loaded weight is 3800#. I have ran these tires at between 38 & 45 PSI, this is below the recommended 50 PSI. I did this believing that I was getting a softer ride? I have worn the tread on the outside of the tires to the point of replacement. What are thoughts of my lower PSI decision? What are thoughts of purchasing  load range "D" instead of "C" ? Any tire brand recommendation? TCMich   
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:55pm
I would definitely replace.  We put 22,000 miles on the originals, kept the pressure at 50 PSI and the tread still looked great.  The problem was that the tires were 6 years old so we replaced with and set of class C tires same as the originals in size, ST205/R75/R14.  We got the Hartland tires (through recommendations from friends) at the Tire Factory just across from the Mall on US-31 S a few miles north of Chums Corners.  Am sure you know where it is.  Lot of previous discussion with the D rated tires, I will probably do that next time I purchase.  My 177 is quite light, 2400 empty.  The discussion usually revolves around travel speed as the D rated tires are rated at a faster speed for safety's sake, than the C tire.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:15pm
Go with D rated, I read the newest version runs at 85 PSI, I used Carlisle's and I'm happy with performance. you have to buy new anyway, best to upgrade.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:43pm
D rated tires will run at 65psi. The pressures are part of the rating. All C rated tires run at 50 psi for max capacity, D rated at 65psi, and E rated at 80psi. If you going to run them under pressure, it affects their load carrying capacity, and in the vein of the OP's statement of how he runs them and why, going up in ratings gets you STIFFER sidewalls, which he seems to think is an issue. Running them under pressured will also cause "wallow" besides improper tread wear.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:49pm
+1 Mark, I can't remember where on this forum someone said the Carlisle's were rated at 85, but they did. I know my D tires are 65 PSI.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by mcarter

+1 Mark, I can't remember where on this forum someone said the Carlisle's were rated at 85, but they did. I know my D tires are 65 PSI.

They could have meant 85 mph.. In the old days, all ST tires were rated at 65mph max speed, but, the times, they are a'changin'.. Our C's are rated at 75mph... I know I have seen some with at least an "M" rating for speed, or 81mph... Not that we should be towing at those speeds..
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:10pm
Reasonable answer - Thanks.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm
My 2017 HRE 179 came with Westlake 235 75 15's.  They are C rated tires.  I want to upgrade to D rated.  But I can't find 235 trailer tires anywhere.  Due to my steep incline driveway, my pod with the 235's just barley gets me up the drive.  I'm afraid if I go with 225's I'll need to lay down boards or scrape my way up the drive.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Any input would be appreciated.  
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 11:10am
I've got ST225/75R/14's on my 2015 178.

To get a D rated tire I need to get a 15" diameter /R15. The extra inch does not appear to be an issue to me but I'd like to see if anyone has any thoughts or concerns about this.

Costco sells Greenball tires that on their site are reviewed good. I find Costco to be very reliable in their choice of quality products which is why I'd consider them over the local Firestone. The R15D is $65.99 and the R14C is $61.99. The price is not a consideration, my safety and towing is.

Any thoughts?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:12pm
I have a 2015 178 that has 14" D rated Carlisles on it. Very popular tire. Not sure I'm following why you have you have a 15" tire.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>