FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRocky Mountain High

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rocky Mountain High
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 9:28am

Trying to figure out posting pictures....way too much trouble!  But, you folks are worth it. 
Here are 2 pictures from Rocky Mountain National Park, in Colorado, taken in July 2009.  This was my first long trip in the Pod.  I'll continue to play with the photo editor and try to post a few more.

More

A rather blurred mule deer (as I was trying to quickly hit the zoom button).  They seemed to come down to the campground each evening.

Hanging out above the treeline wwith the Elk.

We were having such a good time - they invited some of their friends to join in!

I needed to go get some food and beverage for our Elk/weird guy with a wolf "get together".
When I returned...they had gone!  I guess Elk aren't very patient.

"his sight is turned inside himself
to try to understand
the serinity of a clear blue mountain lake" John Denver

Do you see the two lakes?

Just a little "cyber-camping" to get you dreaming of better days ahead.

Hope to see you "out there"
sylviablue View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:30am
The pictures are great!  Tell us more about the trip.  
four peas
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 8:41pm
Nice, thanks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 9:25pm
Great pic's.  We are planning at trip out that way too.  Was July a good time to go, or would you suggest another month?  We prefer to camp spring and fall, but our concern is it'll be too cold or we'll have to deal with snow.   Would love to hear more about your trip.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:16pm
July was a good time, I thought.  The highs were 70s to low 80s and lows were in the 50s, but one night it got into the 40s.  I camped in the Aspenglen campground, which was nice.  There is no dump station but, you are allowed to use the dump stations at the other campgrounds in the Park.  There is a spot there to fill your fresh water tank and I was told it is tested daily.  Like most National Parks, there is no electricity or any hook ups.  There is no shower but, modern toilets.  Generators were not allowed.  Wood, ice, ice cream and a few misc. small items are for sale at the gate for a few hours each evening.

I would offer the following for you to consider:

I highly recommend making reservations as they were turning people away every day.  Check out
www.nps.gov/romo and look at the different campgrounds.  Some are having "problems" due the pine bark beetle.  All of the campgrounds are over 8000' elevation.

If you have never been to high altitudes, it can have some effects on some people - which usually subside in a couple of days.  You may have a headache, dehydration and a general feeling of being tired.  You will also be high enough that the sun will burn quickly (less atmosphere to filter the ultraviolet).  Remember to take your preferred sunscreen, headache and "belly" pills - just in case.

Remember to take some warm clothes for your higher journeys.  There is snow on the ground and the wind is brisk at higher altitudes....you can have a snowball fight in July, if you wish!

The West side of the Park is dryer than the East.  It is not uncommon to have a brief downpour on the eastern side of the mountains.  They are short and it drys very quickly.

On the East side, the city of Estes Park is close and will have most anything you might want.  It is similar to Gatlinburg in the Smokys (lots of small shops) but smaller and not the gaudy, "sideshow" type stuff.

I'll post more as I or you think of it.

GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:36pm
 Smile Great pictures and write up david. Being from Florida I even have trouble dealing with the altitude changes in the Great Smokey Mountains . Where I live it is sea level to 14 feet above. Please post more pictures in the futur.
 Thanks for sharing.
 Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 5:46pm
Ahhhh.....they like pictures!

The drive....a little over 2500 miles round trip and a little over $500 in gasoline.  I over-nighted there and back at the West Omaha KOA - nice folks.  Drove 11 and 1/2 hours the first day and about 8 and 1/2 the next.  This picture was taken Iowa - which is an old Indian word that means "darned windy place" (I think).  Nebraska, also an old Indian word, means "not much better than Iowa" (I think).

Trailer sway was never a problem.  Horsepower was.  I had 185hp.  I needed about 50-100 more.

Finally in the Park and on the road to the campground.  A welcome sight after a long drive.

Parked, at last!  The C.A.V. (Campground Assault Vehicle - which Dixie and I now own and use to inflict ourselves on peaceful, marshmellow roasting camping enthusiasts) is level, stabilizers down and ready for action.  Time to go buy some wood and practice my cooking "skills".

sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 5:59pm
Big smile  Yes, we love pictures and yours are great.  Love your write up too.  Makes me want to hit the road RIGHT NOW!

four peas
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 6:12pm
We have been there several times and we love it every time.   We stay in Loveland and travel up to Estes Park and then to the top.
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:37pm
Thanks for the info and great pic's.  Are there a lot of ppl there in July?  Has anyone gone in Sept or Oct?

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>