R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst timer questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First timer questions
    Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:25pm
:" NCVT Fluke volt alert (looks like a penlight)– standing on the ground touch the door frame or steps if there is voltage leak it will light up preventing a shock.  Do it when first setting up camp and connecting electric. Not needed if you get surge protection (see below)"

not seeing the info about surge protector... what is that about?
thanks,
jp
n
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by jprithch2

not seeing the info about surge protector... what is that about?
thanks,
jp
n

I hope someone who knows much more then I do can give you a better answer then I can but hey what the heck I'll give it a shot. The reason you want some type of surge protection should is that it not be called not surge but electrical protection. As in lets say when you hook up to some campground shore power and their ground is faulty meaning you have no ground or that instead of 120Vac your getting 220 Vac voltage. A good surge protector can tell you that you have 'clean' power and no faults when you plug in. The bonus is if you have such is if the electrical system of the campground your plug into does some how get hit with a lightening strike then the surge protector you have will in theory send this tremendous voltage spike to ground and not fry out everything you have in your camper. Hopes this some what answer your question and not completely fry your mind Tongue
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:10am
thanks!
jp
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:12am
I have a pen type voltage detector, but it  is only for standard voltage.  Do I really need one that detects both standard voltage and low voltage as well?
jp
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
Just contacted FR for my region and got this reply concerning warrenty:

"Good Morning Jack,
I do apologize, however Forest River does not offer extended warranty. We have 1 year manufacturing warranty.

Thank you- 

Guess that train has left the station.Angry

Update - FR rep sent me another email saying that the extended warranty is still offered if my serial number is below 18738.  Hopefully it is.  Will know when I pick up on Saturday.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:28am

Just contacted FR for my region and got this reply concerning warrenty:

"Good Morning Jack,
I do apologize, however Forest River does not offer extended warranty. We have 1 year manufacturing warranty.

Thank you- 
(name withheld by request)
Surveyor/Rpod 
Service and Warranty Administrator 
(phone number withheld by request)

Guess that train has left the station.Angry

Not good enough.  Here is the form to get the extended warranty.  Must be purchased within 90 days of being new.  This form was sent out by FR in April of this year and it's still valid.  I have another month to decide if I want a 1-year extended warranty for $150.  Don't believe everything one of the FR secretaries tell you.  This is a legal/binding warranty extension form.  By the way, this is for the Eastern region.  I bought this in AR

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:48am
Here's the final word on the extended warranty.  I'll put this in a separate thread also to help others.

I called my dealer this morning and talked to the office girl that fills out the paperwork.  The one I had in July had quit so I had to talk to someone else that didn't know what they were talking about (Great Lakes RV in Gassville, AR).  I told her that the girl that filled out my paperwork showed me that extended warranty form and explained it to me.  She called me a liar and told me they never go over the Forest River paperwork.  They only explain their paperwork and the expensive extended warranty that they sell (I think her name was Sandy).  I told her that if this FR warranty was no longer in effect that they should remove it from the packet they give the customer.  She told me they were not allowed to do that (another lie).  I finally got tired of arguing with her so I hung up.  Then I called FR.  Heather in Warranty told me "We didn't a buy a license for the extended warranty so we don't offer it anymore."  I told her, "You are the manufacturer.  You don't have to buy a license to warranty a product you make.  You can offer any warranty you want."  She just wanted to argue also so I hung up on her too.  Then I called the manager of Great Lakes RV (Tom) and told him the whole story of my two conversations.  He said, "I'll be taking care of this when we get off the phone.  This won't stop here."  (when I told him how his office girl had treated me).  He called me back in about an hour and said he talked to "the powers that be" at Forest River and was told that I can still buy the extended warranty.  "Any trailer that left the factory before June of 2017 and has a serial number with the last 5 digits ending in less than 18737 can still buy the warranty if it's within your 90 days."  He also said, "You are not Forest River's customer.  You are MY customer and I'll take care of you.  I talked to my Rep and he said that information is OFFICIAL.  Send in your check and if you have any trouble, call me and I'll take care of it."  He also said that his office girl was incorrect as whenever any paperwork needs to be deleted from the packet, his Rep tells them to do so and they do so.  But that they've had no word to remove anything yet so the warranty is still in effect for those particular units falling within the guidelines.

I think that puts an end to the rumor that Forest River doesn't offer the 1-year extended warranty anymore, which is only a partially true statement.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
jprithch2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 6:45pm
Ok, just got another email from FR rep correcting her mistake.  She said the extended warranty is still offered if the serial number is before 18738 and there should be an application in my packet when I pick up.

Don't know what my serial number is but will pick up on Saturday and find out.  Fingers crossed.

jp

spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:13pm

Update - FR rep sent me another email saying that the extended warranty is still offered if my serial number is below 18738.  Hopefully it is.  Will know when I pick up on Saturday.

Thanks for the update Jack.  That supports all my work today also.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123