R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst timer questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First timer questions
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
I think the best way to approach accesories is to decide which ones make sense to you.  For example I don't have a water filtration system because we carry bottled water to drink.  I do have a pressure regulator and a white and green hose.  use your judgement.  The fluke volt alert is important.  It can prevent electrocution due to a poorly wired site or a bad connection.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by spydie

I tried the Oxygenics RV shower in my Casita camper and didn't like it, so returned it.  I know a lot of people recommend it, but my water pump didn't seem to have enough power to get a full spray.  I suspect the people that like it are using city water and not dry camping?  My factory shower head sprayed a lot better using my water pump.
That Anderson Camper leveler seems to work great, but you are limited to about a 4" lift.  My favorite camper leveler is the Bal Light trailer leveler.  Just use your drill that you use to drop your stabilizers and it's done in seconds:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler/21017

Looks good. How high can you level? Most sites I have camped on the side to side is pretty level. Font to back varies.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:14am
Not sure what that question is "how I can you level"?? I've been camping in a lot of places that are way off level. But that's dry camping. Campgrounds are usually pretty level
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:22am
You read it before I changed the post. How high.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:25am
Ha ha. Ok. It will crank up a lot more than four inches but my pod is in the shop trying to figure out why the refer doesn't cool as well with gas as it does with electric so I can't measure it right now
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:48am

I tried the Oxygenics RV shower in my Casita camper and didn't like it, so returned it.  I know a lot of people recommend it, but my water pump didn't seem to have enough power to get a full spray.  I suspect the people that like it are using city water and not dry camping?  My factory shower head sprayed a lot better using my water pump.

OTOH, I found that our water pump delivers a better spray from the Oxygenics shower head than when hooked to city water through the pressure limiter fitting. When I tested it at home with the pump, I had a good shower. My wife complained that it was inadequate when we tried it on a city water hookup in a campground.

That Anderson Camper leveler seems to work great, but you are limited to about a 4" lift.  My favorite camper leveler is the Bal Light trailer leveler.  Just use your drill that you use to drop your stabilizers and it's done in seconds:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/bal-light-trailer-tire-leveler/21017

The Andersen leveler is very easy to use. The BAL leveler on my 179 is simple, but takes a lot of work to crank it up. I tried my power drill/driver, but it did not have enough torque to raise the 179. It does go higher but the thing I don't like about it is that it is tilts as it raises which is putting more pressure on the outside of the tire and sidewall the higher it is raised. If the supports for the tires swiveled so that the tire would be supported evenly across the tread, it would be much better. Unfortunately, that would also probably make it a lot heavier. It is already much more bulky and heavy than the Andersen leveler or the stacking block levelers.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:18pm
My experience with the Oxygenics shower head was just the opposite.  With the on-board pump it couldn't produce a good spray like the factory head, and that indicates ONE thing...it uses more water (instead of less like it's advertised).  If I can get a better spray with the factory head and low pressure, and very poor spray with the Oxygenics, that sorta speaks for itself as to the amount of water it will use.  Your mileage may vary! LOL

Actually the Bal leveler presents no problem on the sidewalls of the tires and that's not even a problem worth looking for.  If you install it correctly (with the pads in the center of the tire) you'll not see any excess pressure on the sidewalls and they've been around a lot longer than the Anderson leveler (which still requires one person to drive the vehicle and one to make sure it's level. The Bal leveler only requires one person) and my Craftsman 20v drill on the low-speed (power) setting has lifted much larger trailers than an R-pod.  Just make sure you are using the right tool for the right job.  But again, your experiences and mine are completely opposite so buyer beware.  I know I've seen several posts on many different forums about people that like the Oxygenics, but not everyone does.  I've talked to several people that returned theirs as I did.  But whatever floats your boat! (smile)
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:21pm
I got our Oxygenics when it was on sale at Camping World. It is possible that there is a difference in ones made for RV use and ones made for home use. We have had one at home for years, and while the one in the R-Pod isn't as powerful, it is an improvement over the stock shower head, at least when the water pump is running.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm

Ha ha. Ok. It will crank up a lot more than four inches but my pod is in the shop trying to figure out why the refer doesn't cool as well with gas as it does with electric so I can't measure it right now

I saw a review and the poster said you can raise the unit about 12".
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by NHpod

Do I need a WDH/Sway hitch for this set-up? The dealer suggested an EAZ Lift R3 that they would install for $435. I see you can buy them online for around $300. If needed, are they difficult to install and do you just swap the 2-5/16 inch hitch ball for a 2”?

I have this Draw-Tite hitch ball mount. Can I use it with a 2 “ ball?

How is that post on issues such as NHpod ask morph int the pro's and con's of shower heads? LOL

Whether you need a WDH and anti-sway hitch all depends on many factors such as what your going to be pulling your Pod with and how comfortable are you with pulling your trailer without one? To me the Fastway E2 WDN with 2 point anti-sway was cheap insurance to help insure safe towing. Anything I can do, like a decent brake controller if your vehicle doesn't have one, to insure safety is money well spent.

If your buy a WDH it should have a ball on it. If you decided to only use the hitch you pictured you'll be able to hook it up to your Pod but you better make sure that its fairly level, vehicle and hooked up trailer together.

Good luck, hope my 2 cents helped .....  now back to shower heads! Tongue
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>