R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator - Event Date: 14 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generator
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:30pm
It connects to the "run" capacitor that is connected to the compressor. Very simple to install but there is a little bit of misinformation as to how it plugs in on YouTube.
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:14am
I have the Yamaha version of the Honda 2000 and couldn't be happier. It has a fuel gauge and the Honda does not and it also has a quiet energy savor mode. Starts every time first pull regardless if its winter or summer.

Bought it on sale at Cabelas. Normal price is $2000.00 and we got $200.00 off on sale plus 5% veteran discount.

I have owned Yamaha motorcycles and found these were 200,000 mile or more machines with nearly no parts failures. Since I am a Yamaha fan and the price ws good it was a no brainer.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
This post was made by davevans and then removed, which I feel was incorrect, so I'm reposting the text from that post.

I do disagree with the point about the clean inverter-generator power being better for electronics.  Their power supplies actually filter out very dirty power w/o an issue.

post follows:

Hey Ken! I know I am a little late to the conversation but hopefully this helps someone out there.

As far as purchasing a generator is concerned, there are two main factors to consider. The first is how much power you will require and the second is noise emissions.

POWER: If you are tenting and do not require your generator to power a 13,500 BTU AC unit then something around the 2000W range should power most of your appliances without worry (coffee makers, hair dryers, CD players, laptop/phone charging etc). If you do require something that can power an AC unit on an RV you should be looking in the 3000W and above range for a 13,500 BTU unit.

NOISE: No one wants their campsite to sound like a construction zone. If you are looking for quiet portable power you are in the market for an INVERTER generator (as opposed to a conventional generator). Inverters also produce a "cleaner" power source that is suitable for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones. The inverting process produces a smoother sine wave that will not damage the microprocessors within these electronics.

Many people swear by Honda's and Yamaha's and they are the industry leaders when it comes to inverter generators BUT there are many alternative companies (ie Champion, WEN, Westinghouse) putting forth very competitive products at a lesser price that merit consideration when shopping around for a generator.

I found this website to be extremely helpful when deciding which generator best suits your needs;

http://quietpowergenerators.com

The "inverters vs generators" page is very insightful and arms you with the knowledge necessary to make an educated purchase. They also have detailed reviews of the latest and best selling inverter generators on the market some of which are within your $500 budget.

I hope this helps! All the best,

Dave
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by techntrek

This post was made by davevans and then removed, which I feel was incorrect, so I'm reposting the text from that post...

daveevans' post IMO was a blatant advertisement for a website that it seems like he is affiliated with.  The web address was even included in his signature.  Glad it got removed
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Mtn Ascender

Guys if you're too lazy to click on the link I posted the Westinghouse can be bought for $550. Not $1000 or $1295 and it does just as much as the more expensive ones do.

Your link doesn't work
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Plantguy

Hello Poders,
I am in the market for a generator. I want a quiet one. I know Honda seems to be the generator of choice. I was hoping to spend less than $1,000. I would also be interested in a propane powered generator but my main requirement is low noise. 2000 watt. Will run both 12v and 110 systems. Any help is appreciated.
Ken, the plantguy.

I just ordered a "Firman" brand from Electric Generators Direct.  I've read all the posts about guys having trouble getting the 13.5 kw A/C running with the Honda and the Yamaha, especially re-starting it (quick run cycles) in hot weather and having to put a "hard-start" kit on the A/C to get them to work. I ordered the W03083 Whisper with remote control so I can stop/start it from inside the Pod.  It's a 3000 watt (3500 watt surge) gen with a 9 hour run time.  It's going to be a lot better than my old Honda 2000 that was always hard to start.  And it cost $759 with free shipping.  Yep, you can buy cheaper Gens, but not with electric and remote start.  Firman just started selling under their own name this spring.  They produce all the Gens for the "other guys" like Coleman, etc.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Hayduke

This post was made by davevans and then removed, which I feel was incorrect, so I'm reposting the text from that post...

daveevans' post IMO was a blatant advertisement for a website that it seems like he is affiliated with.  The web address was even included in his signature.  Glad it got removed

I have had no problem deleting spam posts in the past.  At worst this one is a "maybe".  If every post links to that site then I would reconsider.

Understand that this forum was started due to censorship on another pod site, so we have been very careful about what gets deleted.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 10:48am

Originally posted by Hayduke

I have had no problem deleting spam posts in the past.  At worst this one is a "maybe".  If every post links to that site then I would reconsider.

Understand that this forum was started due to censorship on another pod site, so we have been very careful about what gets deleted.

I don't need to harp on this too much.  But, a quick search reveals that every single post by davevans is in reference to generators and him "finding" the website.  A link to said website included in the body of every post, and the link is also in his signature.  Bugs me when folks try to market like that dishonestly.

Ok, end rant.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 3:06pm

Just got my new Firman 3000/3500 watt Gen delivered and have it running at 50% power for the next 5 hours for the recommended break-in. This appears to be a premium Gen for $759 delivered. It's pull start/electric start/remote start. I put in the oil, filled with gas, hit the remote and it started right up. Features:
USB plug for charging phones
eco mode
two 20 amp 120v receptacles
one 30 amp RV plug
Battery charger with cables
Parallel operation with a second Firman with optional cables
hour meter/voltage meter/HZ meter
1.8 gallon tank
9 hour run time at 25% power

The only drawback I can see to this one is the tank is too small.

If you're not familiar with Firman, this spring they started selling Gens under their own name, but they are major producer for all the "other guys" like Coleman gens, etc.

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:03pm
How quiet is it?
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>