Topic ClosedExtend width of the 'pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extend width of the 'pod
    Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 2:53pm

This came up in another thread, I'm reposting this here in the Wish List forum.

I checked out about 20 ultralights online when I was searching last summer.  Most lacked one major feature or another - and the ones that had all the options were all bland like all the other campers on the market.  The 'pod meets most of my fantasy wants - but I would love a slightly bigger wet bath and and easier way to get in and out of the queen bed on our 171.  The slide-out on the 177 would solve the later but I'm reluctant to get a slide-out for several reasons.

So, my fantasy would be a 'pod, but with the side walls moved outward to the full width of the axle.  That would allow for more than enough room w/o a slide-out to have a larger bath, full-sized queen, and a little more room to move around (and get in-and-out of the bed).

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Phil H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 11:01pm
I had been thinking along the same lines...how would you use the extra width, a wider shower, a wider hallway or some combination of the two? 
2010 R-pod 171
2007 Ford Escape
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:44pm
Both.  On the 171 the shower can use the extra 6" over one wheel (its already raised so you wouldn't even notice that its over a wheel well).  Use the room for elbow room where the shower basin is, and add some waterproof storage farther back next to the toilet.  Move the kitchenette out 6 inches over the other wheel.  Some cabinet space would be lost for this wheel well, but it would be made up with more storage under the bed and dinette.  The bed and dinette would both gain a foot. 
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:55pm
A slightly wider (maybe 6") bath would be nice.  Perhaps adding in one of those tiny RV sinks while they're at it.  But, to tell you the truth, its not the width of the bathroom that I have a real issue with - its the length (front-to-back).  It would be really nice if the shower pan was 6" longer (or if the toilet was slightly redesigned to move it towards the rear a bit and perhaps consume not so much space front-to-back).  When using the shower, I constantly feel like I'm going to trip over the toilet.

While I'm at it, I'd also prefer if the shower pan could be redesigned to be flush with the floor.  I'm only 6' tall and I feel like I'm brushing the ceiling; it really adds to the claustrophobic feeling in there.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:57pm
      Would like the extra space you would get  having the Rpod 171 wider, but it would be to wide for our tow vehicles mirrors. I like being able to see the sides of the trailer when towing. Also it would not be as stable in preventing the trailer from rocking side to side when towing.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:41pm
I would vote for a wider Pod.  It would not take much to make a significant difference in the "feel" of the unit. 

I wonder if anyone is up to doing that MOD! (I'll donate the sawzall blades!)Big smile

Hope to see you "out there"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:48pm
Outbound, once the shower is 6" wider that would be the longer dimension for the shower pan, so they could mount the showerhead on the outer wall and you would stand "sideways".  Would that solve your problem?

David and Danette - I agree that I like to see around the 'pod, but mounting towing mirrors would solve that.  Our popup extends out 6" beyond the axle on both sides.  Its very wide.  While I couldn't see straight back, I could still see enough.  Sometimes I would do a little wiggle on the rig to see farther back, but that was rare.

David - You first!  Thumbs Up
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 11:33pm
Our last TT was 7' wide with a full queen.  It was nice to have the extra room.  By adding the extra width you are adding more weight and wind resistance.Thumbs Down   It will also be harder to see behind the pod, which I believe WILL require larger towing mirrors.  We had to use the towing mirrors to see behind it, which was only 17' long.  Not having to use the attached towing mirrors is one less thing to do.  Thumbs Up

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:59pm
Take a look at the new 'square-sided' TT from FR, already for sale, if you need a wider and heavier TT.
I would hate to see the R-Pods slowly get bloated.  I bought mine precisely because it
was narrower and lighter than most any thing else on the market. 
TIDALWAVE
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 6:19pm
I agree with Tidalwave!  The idea of more room is nice but it just would hit the spot like the currant R-Pod does.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>