Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFantasy Shopping Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantasy Shopping Anyone?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 8:38pm
My wife loves the Airstreams, she hasn't quite convinced me yet.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:38pm
This is my first post here and it's not about a REAL fantasy but some reality. As some of you may remember from the "other" forum we were going to order the 177 in January for April delivery.

Also a Forest River product, it is about 105 lbs heavier than the 177 but here locally about a thousand dollars cheaper. Everything exept the outside grill is standerd equipment. A much nicer bathroom and a real awning but no dinette. 2 propane bottles

I was wondering whether anyone else has had a look at this unit.
rpodadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 12:36am
Check out the Gulf Stream VISA .. it is 19 foot and under 2800 lbs. I love the retro style, without looking like they tried too hard. The Euro interior is very nice. This is a little heavier than the r-pod or Heartland MPG but not much - it has at least 3x the interior room in it. BTW: I do like the Surveyor's too... the smaller 19 footer is a nice starter unit - but it is 3,500 lbs I think.

Link is here http://www.wholesalervclub.com/gulf-stream-visa

photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 1:52am
The Calgary RV show is at the end of this month and hopefully some dealer will show the Visa. The actual length of the VISA is 22'11" and might be a little long for our TV. (2009 Ford Escape) It's also heavier by 200 lbs than the other two and would leave almost no room for cargo. But we'll wait and see, it's only another few weeks.
PA Retiree View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 9:12am
Well..., I'm in a complete quandary.

Over the years we've had just about everything from tents to a large Class A motorhome.  These decisions were based on a combination of budget and life stage considerations.  Over the years, my wife and I have gradually become minimalists and often find that it's easy to become a slave to one's possessions.  Therefore, we tend to think less is more and small is good as a basic philosophy.  As such, the R-Pod is a prudent consideration (FYI, we're still shopping).

As we face retirement, we look forward to weekend trips, occasional week long trips and a very occasional 2-3 week trip out west or down south.  But, we are observant of the economy and geopolitical conditions and that leads us to believe gas will likely never be cheap again (we're currently back up to $3.00 a gallon in our area).  Facing the prospects of $4.00+ gas leads me to the conclusion that we need to consider something that will be towable by a 4 cylinder economy car.  A larger six cylinder vehicle makes no sense for us in our daily lives and unfortunately, this eliminates virtually all travel trailers on the market today (including the R-Pod). 

I've come upon one possible exception.  I'm now looking at the Serro Scotty Pup:  http://www.scottytrailers.com/pup.php.  It's an entirely smaller class of RV trailer with a GVWR under 2000 lbs. It is definitely small, lacks storage and is comparatively expensive (slightly more than a R-Pod), but it's also well made, has a small profile (low wind drag) and is very very light (dry weight of 1350 lbs).  Almost any 4 cylinder vehicle (absent the hybrids) can technically handle this trailer. 

All other things being equal, do I want something larger like a R-Pod?   Absolutely...   I've looked at several and think they are well designed and appropriately priced (the 171 is our top choice). Nonetheless, they require a larger tow vehicle and even then, mileage suffers (the R-Pod has a relatively high overall height causing increased wind resistance). 

As I look forward a few years, I'm really looking for something that can meet our minimalist (but craving amenities) needs, but also keep pace with the anticipated worsening  energy conditions in the US.  About the only thing that "currently" fills this market void (amenities, quality and towable by a 4 cylinder vehicle) is the Scotty Pup (& its knock off- Sierra Campfire).  I really like the Safarri out of Canada, but its price is over $27K USD (gag...) and it weighs several hundred pounds more...

Does anyone else feel like me; merely choosing between options, none of which really fit?  I have no idea if there's a right answer, but that's my thinking as of this exact moment in time.   Ask me in half an hour....  Ying Yang
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 10:43am
Welcome, Photog.  I like that Rockwood line, although it doesn't look like you can get a permanent bed and dinette at the same time.

Edit: PA Retiree, I completely agree with your assessment of gas prices, which is why we went with the 'pod.  Space being the compromise, but then we are outside most of the time when we camp.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podpatrol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 2:22pm
Very nice units !!! Thanks for the link !!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 5:01pm
Welcome new members!

I like both the Rockwood and the Visa.  I am curious about the Visa's wheels, however.  It is about the longest unit I have seen that has a single axle.  Is this OK?  Does anyone know the criteria regarding when a tandem axle is needed/beneficial?

PA Retiree - I tried going with the small camper/small TV combination and it did not work well in my instance.  I have an RPOD 173.  I had a 2008 GMC Canyon ext. cab with the 2.9L 4cyl 185hp auto trans (that was paid for).  While I did tow it to the Rocky Mts. and several weekend trips, the towing was not always pleasant.  It was right on the edge of the vehicle's performance capabilities.  Any amount of headwind or incline in the road made it difficult to maintain even 60mph.  The vehicle would want to downshift to 2nd gear and the rpms would jump to over 4000.  Not good.  Wind resistance seemed to be the worst enemy.  If you could talk the Dealer into letting you take the unit for a "test tow", that would probably answer a lot of questions.  Good luck in your purchase.  The "Pup" looks nice!

Hope to see you "out there"
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:40pm
Isn't it a relief to be able to talk about any travel trailer here?  Sheesh, I am a happy POD owner but love looking at what's out there. 
Freedom of speech!
Approve
four peas
Pie_Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 8:27pm
I personally love this thread...but then, I am happy looking at pictures of any RV....from TT on up to Class A.  Ted and I have decided on what we wanted to do for retirement and then changed our minds...we seem to continuing to decide and then change our minds...I am sure by the time comes, we will actually know what we are going to do.

(All I know is....we are going to be somewhere warmer...thats for sure...)

~Cindy_CP
(Pod_Patrol's girl)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>