This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFantasy Shopping Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantasy Shopping Anyone?
    Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 1:48pm
Even though we have a Pod I still roam the Internet looking for what will be our final retirement
unit. (that's when I retire that is. Cindy will be bringing home the bacon for a few more years after
that).
Sorry if I can't remain in the guidelines, but we're talking full time here !!!
If indeed "full-time" is our goal then a Fifth Wheel is definitely in our future ! Most likely something around 32' to 36', and possibly weighing in at around 15000lbs. This would require a TV along the lines of a HD dually 350 or 450 long bed.
I've been checking out the "Titanium" models. Our Canadien friends I'm sure know the brand.
These things are beautiful, and very well appointed.
I mean, if your going full-time, then do it right !!
Currently the figure may exceed $125,000 for both the 5th and the TV, not knowing what it may be in a few years.
If we do decide to Full-time, I wouldn't balk at this kind of expense.
Considering the 5th may be 32' to 34', that's not counting the distance from "pin" to truck cab, which could add an extra 4' to total length.
That's alot of trailer !!!
After all, the dream-check-book has unlimited funds, right???

sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 2:31pm
Thumbs UpIf I were closer to Canada I would have liked to check out the Alto Safari 1713.  Now that is an innovative design!  It only has a toilet but the bigger model (1723) also has a shower.   It costs more than the Pod but it is so cool.
check it out:

http://www.safaricondo.com/alto/1713/indexeng.php

Edit: changed the web address into a link - techntrek

four peas
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 4:33pm
Definitely cool - low(er) for towing but also very open with all those windows when up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 5:08pm
I think there have been enough responses that I can issue preliminary results of my psyco-analysis:

Only myself mentioned the Surveyor, which is nearly the same as the Pod, except for it's physical appearence - a traditional looking TT.  The majority seems to prefer unusual or non-traditional looking campers.  Summary: Pod owners are non-conformists.

Pod owners like to gather with other Pod owners (like these forums) share ideas, thoughts and companionship with other Pod owners - conforming with the group.  Summary: Conforming, non-conformists!  Confused

This is astounding and has the potential to turn the world of psycology on it's head!  I must immediately return to lie on my couch and analyze this further.  Sleepy

I'll write more then (and when I figure out where I'm going with this).

Hope to see you "out there"

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:12pm

Conforming non-conformists.  Kind of like the kids that want to be different from all the other kids, so they wear black.  And piercings.  And listen to the non-popular music.

Just like all of the other hundreds of thousands of kids wearing black.  LOL

yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:02am
If we had a never ending check book and it came in a queen size bed...Airstream would be our choice.  For a small unit it has a GREAT bathroom.  The bed is just too small for us tho.  Oh to have that kind of $$. 

As far as the Trailmanor...saw it and didn't like how it sealed around the sides when it was in the up position.  We wouldn't consider anything with a canvas side and we would have to be able to stand up in it.  A shower was a must and larger holding tanks.  Our last TT had a 7 gal black holding tank.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

campin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:23am
We did look at a number of small units in the fall last year and found the r-pod the most acceptable for us. The price at the time was on the high side.
Then around Christmas we managed to get a good deal at a nearby dealer in Trail, but the weather was so cold, we couldn't get a careful look at each unit and picked the 172. So on January 4th we came back and spent a bit more time comparing features and changed to the 171.
Of course we will have to wait until April before we can take possession of our r-pod since the units are snowed and frozen in place.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:35am
Airstream is our total fantasy rig- we have the one we want picked out- the 27 foot with Ocean Breeze decor. It has a queen "walk-around" bed and has full bay windows front and back (bed and dinette). Now we just need to find the fantasy money to pay for it and the fantasy truck to tow it with. LOL Maybe after retirement we will buy and keep one in Florida to do the snowbird thing.

Fifth wheels have lots of room, but we just can't warm up to always having to go up stairs to the bathroom and bedroom.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 5:17pm
Welcome, campin.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 5:21pm
I agree with the folks who like Airstreams.  Those things are in a league of their own.  However, I don't know anyone who could afford one....maybe druglords or, certain mafia types or, investment bankers.  Personally, I'm kind of partial to the Airstream Bambi.  The name is kind of funny for a 50 something guy who "whacks" computers, though.
As a former 5th wheel owner, the steps aren't too bad....unless you forget that they are there on a really dark night.  In that event, the lower level floor begins to accelerate towards one's face an alarming rate. (or, so I'm told)

Hope to see you "out there"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>