Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFantasy Shopping Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantasy Shopping Anyone?
    Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:40am
Here's something most everyone should have an opinion on, and something to talk about in the slow winter months:

If you were going to buy a new camper today, and the POD was not an option, what other one would you pull out your fantasy checkbook for and plunk down the dollars to buy?  Let's take motorized units off the table and be a tad bit frugal.  Lets say TT 20' or less or small 5th wheels.

Personally, when I bought my POD, my TV was a 2008 GMC Canyon with a 3200lbs. tow capacity.  I wanted a unit with a full bathroom and air conditioning, plus very little set up.  The POD seemed to fit the bill, so I bought the 2300lbs RP173.  It has been a great unit with no problems except, the front decals are starting to peel.  The TV however, wasn't quite up to the task, in some circumstances.

The day after Thanksgiving, I purchased a more robust TV - 2009 Silverado, 5.3V8, tow package, heavy suspension, yada, yada which I should have paid for in 2-3 months.  At that time, I can consider getting another camper with two things that I really like: A standard awning and a larger dry bath.

I have "cyber shopped" an 18' Surveyor (Pod in a box shape) and the Heartland Edge (the full body paint looks nice).

So, fantasy shoppers, what would YOU buy and why?

Hope to see you "out there"
sylviablue View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 9:28am
Wink  Easy Peasy.  *I* wanted a T@B clam shell.  My husband wanted a TT with a bathroom so we went POD.  Also were looking at the new retro Shasta.  Couldn't find one for a fair price at the time.

four peas
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 9:44am
I was going to buy Tab but interior height was not high enough, wanted bed that was made up all the time, had to have holding tanks. I wish the pod would fit into a garage ,it would be nice for us old people that live in town homes. It was a real toss up between the two.  I am going to hijack my own thread.  It is -20 below in Mn. this am. the people in Dells are colder. I wonder if we will ever be able to thaw the pod out.  I would love to go to Ky. I have to get doctors to let me get out of town for more than a week. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 10:55am
Cane2 - sorry about the snow and cold... I have the same stuff here. I have about 4-6" of snow on the ground and it is so cold the politicians have their hands in their own pockets!

sylviablue- I looked at the T@Bs and admit that they are attractive.  I almost went with one and thought about it again, recently, before trading in my one year old truck.  They are lighter but, the last I saw, there was only one model that had a potty, but no shower.  Also, no traditional awning.  I don't know if they tow any better (wind resistance wise) than a POD...I don't know anyone that owns one.  It would have been nice to talk to an owner.

Hope to see you "out there"
Pie_Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:30pm

I really like the TrailManor.  I love that they telescope down and in for easier towing.  Anyway, they are really pricey but since this is a fantasy, I think we would like one of them.

~Cindy_CP
(Pod_Patrol's girl)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 2:48pm

I checked out about 20 ultralights online when I was searching last summer.  Most lacked one major feature or another - and the ones that had all the options were all bland like all the other campers on the market.  The 'pod meets most of my fantasy wants - but I would love a slightly bigger wet bath and and easier way to get in and out of the queen bed on our 171.  The slide-out on the 177 would solve the later but I'm reluctant to get a slide-out for several reasons.

So, my fantasy would be a 'pod, but with the side walls moved outward to the full width of the axle.  That would allow for more than enough room w/o a slide-out to have a larger bath, full-sized queen, and a little more room to move around.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 5:29pm
PiePod - the Trailmanor is another one of those interesting units that I would like to see, in person, and talk to someone who owns one.  Don't they raise/lower with a motor?

Techntrek - I agree that the POD would be much easier to live with if it were a little wider.  Going out to 7' or 7 1/12' would probably really change the "feel" of them.   
TXpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 6:09pm

Living here in TX, we were gonna check out the Casita.  Drove past Tyler RV one day and they had 4 or 5 'Pods on the lot and the next day drug husband by collar to Tyler RV.  Got to the door and he was dragging me by ear out to see the Pods.  I was hesitant but he fell in love with the 172.  Went home with all the info and all the trips dashing through our heads.  Ordered our Pod and waited.  Longest 6 weeks I have ever lived.  With the "fantasy check book" I too would find something with a larger shower and potty.  But would I give my pod up?  Not a chance...Would take that checkbook and buy everything for the Pod..

Carole & Steve
Scooter & Sophy(4legged kidos)
172 R-Pod
2008 Toyota 4Runner
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:06pm
Actually the T@DA compares with the Pod.  In some ways I like it better, in other things Pod wins.
Anyway we never got to look at the T@DA in person.

We're good to go in our 171. 
four peas
Cyb's Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 12:10am
I was looking into the T@B, T@DA, the Alto and the Shasta.

I really loved the Shasta but there is no LP on it. Only electricity and battery. So that became a no.

The Alto, I LOVED it but WAY too expensive. So a no.

The T@B, no bathroom and shower. Hate the potty thingy. Nope.

The T@DA, nice but too heavy and too expensive. Another nope.

I actually looked at almost all the small trailer. And for the space, utilities, weight and price, the Pod wins by a long shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>