Topic Closed24' Antenna on my R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24' Antenna on my R-Pod
    Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 4:46pm
I'm going to have a 24' CB antenna setting on a 7' piece of pipe, mounted on the back of the camper!  There will also be a place to put a 102" whip.  If I am going to be somewhere for just 1 night I'll use the 102" whip.  If I'll be there for a few days I'll use the big one.

The CB is a Galaxy 2547 with 120 channels feeding into a 400 watt amplifier.

The above picture shows my base that I will be using.  I should have a lot of fun with it.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 5:58pm
Why not go legal and become a amateur radio operator???    Then you can run 2k legally.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by cane2

Why not go legal and become a amateur radio operator???    Then you can run 2k legally.

Because it sounds as bad as the regular 40 CB Channels.  I know, it isn't that bad everywhere.

I pretty much stay above Ch.40 on SSB, close to 10m.  We are illegal up there but we also don't have all the rules and regulations to contend with.  The jerks that destroyed the CB band seem happy to stay down there for the most part.  That is fine because we don't want their dirty radios and amps splashing all over the place.

Terry
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 8:34pm
What are rules and regulations for  if you are illegal anyway??   I guess if it feels good do it.  Another words if you don't like a law do your own thing. It's ok then.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 9:49pm

You really aren't "above ch. 40" unless you've modified your rig for higher frequencies.  With single side band you are just reusing the original 40 channels on either the high side or low side, w/o the carrier signal.  If your rig is noisy the 400 watts will make that channel (high, low, and full-modulation) and probably a few channels around it unusable for anyone else.  Just FYI.

I second the ham license motion.  Not that difficult to get a tech-class license (no more code anymore) and you get instant access to the 10-meter band, with similar operating characteristics as the CB band since they are close.

I understand your frustration with the CB band, I had one in my vehicle for years until I had enough of the BS.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 12:01am
Yes, I know what the side bands are and yes the radio is modified.  The radio sends out a clean signal and the amp does also.  I can go above 40 and below 1.  Actually, there isn't much of the 11m band that I can't go on.  I used to listen in on 2m, 10m and a lot of the other bands and came close to getting my ham ticket then changed my mind.

I started in CB back in the early 70's.  I had my license and a good tube radio at that time, a Browning.  Then the CB craze hit and everything fell apart.  People stopped  getting a license and the language went into the toilet along with manners.  So, I went under Ch.1 and in between some of the regular CB channels.  Only a few people were doing it at that time.  You were lucky if you heard anyone all day.  Then 40 channels came in and took the "RC" channels and made them regular channels.  So now I'm on SSB, usually LSB, up around 27.555.

Terry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 7:38am
I'm going to resist the urge to add to the above as it seems your mind is firm on the matter.  I will only "third" the motion on getting legal in some form; be it a Amateur Radio license, switching to the FMRS, GMRS, etc. 

Instead, I'll hijack the thread Smile and ask: Are there any other licensed Amateur Radio Operators ("Hams") out there?

Me: WA9DU.  My main interest has always been chasing DX grids on VHF & UHF but, I do some DXing on the lower bands.  I have nothing up, antenna wise, for 160M, but am OK on 80M thru 432mhz.  If anyone is working the upcomming ARRL VHF Sweepstakes, I'll look for you and try to give you a couple of multipiers/points!

73 & gud DX,
. _ _    ._   _ _ _ _.   _..   .._

cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 8:14am
Me  WB0UTK  wife KC0CST  mostly mobile 2m as we live in town home. Have been active since 1976.   Running Kenwood, Icom, Yeasu ,and 2 handhelds.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 10:24am
Cane2....FB OM & YL!  sri abt Townhome/antenna situation, but you probably don't spend the hours cutting grass that I do.  Good to hear that you are still active.

These days, it seems that I am all Yaesu here: FT-950, FT-847 (I take this camping), two FT-7800, and a FT-1500, in the shack and an FT-5100 in the truck.  I would like to get a FT-857 to keep in the POD during the camping season - but then there is that money thing Ouch.  I think I've owned everthing except Ten-Tec, at one time or another.  First rig was the Drake C twins....do you remember those? 

When camping, I have been taking the 847 and using a manual "screwdriver" type antenna.  It works....sort of.

Hope to see you "out there"
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 5:23pm
Mark AA8TC here.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>