R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:10am
By "Y" tubes I am guessing you are talking about something that connects the Black and Grey outlets into a single drain pipe? I looked that those and thought about how they would work in the case of the Pod. When we first got the Pod I didn't like the fact that there were 2 separate dump valve pipes. After using them for a while I have actually decided that having separate tubes is an advantage. When you dump the black line and then add water to the rinse line to flush out the tank you effectively clean out that line. Then when you move the hose to the grey line you effectivelly get a second rinse.

What I have learned is that where you park your camper is important and next is having the correct length sewer hose. That was the main reason I wanted the 15' hose and decided to buy/add the 48" storate tube. Now I have the best of both worlds because in the rare instance when I would need more than 15' of sewer hose I can always grab the 10 footer in the factory hose and connect it to the 15' hose with a hose adapter.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Burt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 10:24am
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Burt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:24pm
Mods and misc.,

We had the same issue with our sewer pipe being too short.  So, I purchased the 15 foot rhino and then tried to figure out a place to put it on the RPOD171.  After considerable searching and pondering, I installed it on the same side the clean out drains are located.  I purchased the factory super tube for the rhino hose and fastened it in using the correct length fasteners of stainless steel.  It's a perfect fit and if installed carefully, the door will open toward the front nicely to remove or replace the hose.

We did this because we didn't want to store a drain/sewer hose inside the POD or externally in the tow vehicle.  It works perfectly and I left the original storage hose on the tongue.  Now I can use either hose when I need them and they are stored outside the POD.

In other news, I modified the tongue jack with an inserted wheel.  Now I can roll the POD when on a cement floor inside our large shop.  The wheel removes easily for travel and leaves the original space between the jack and the ground that way.

Several other mods include mostly the use of "found" storage places and careful utilization of them.

We also replaced all the incandescent lights with LED's.

We found that the Home Depot "Homer" buckets fit perfectly underneath the bed storage area.  I put blue tape marked with contents on the tops to indicate what is inside of them so you don't have to open them to find out.

We turned one of the Homer Buckets into an LED porch-light with a removable white LED plastic vinegar jug inside.  It can be used as an orange porch light or a large "flashlight." 

Next is a purchase of UHMW 1/2" sheet to make a cover/cutting board for over the sink.  I'll rout out the shape of the sink for an indentation to hold in place when traveling.

We moved the table holder (the sharp-edged prong) back toward the front bulkhead and replaced the inserts there.  Now it doesn't scratch our legs up when sitting or getting up.  In my mind, this is the first thing you should do to any POD that hose those little scratchers!

We replaced the mattress with a futon.

Replaced the sacrificial anode just in time 2 weeks ago.

Created a hookup bucket with all the basic tools, locks, and any etceteras to put into the truck bed for easy hook up or unhooking.  Created an outside storage area where all POD stuff is located.  The RDOME and other necessaries are all in the same place along with the hook up weight transfer stuff.

Beefed up the Ranger transmission and put a chip in it.  Works like magic.  More MPG and more torque now.

Outside the POD, I put a receiver hitch on the loader of our tractor.  Now we can "push" the POD into the storage area or place it outside without cranking our necks to figure out where it should be by backing up.

Made a couple of reservations already for next year.

There's more but that is the big stuff.

Burt, Laura the White Tornado, Buddy the Wonder Dog and Norman, the Japanese-American Big Mouthed Orange Tractor, the JABMOT
LOL

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 9:07pm
What brand chip did you use in your TV?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 7:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 7:48pm
First official PodMod: We removed the spring-loaded table legs to allow for more convenient storage under dinette bed. It will always be set up as a bed, so not concerned about table. First trip in the new Pod is scheduled for first weekend in April. Approve
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:07pm
Welcome.  Good idea on the table legs.  I may do that (temporarily) for a trip we are taking this summer, where I know it won't be converted to table mode the whole time - and storage room will be critical.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:24pm
uploads/1735/RS_under_table.jpg

I'm hoping this posts okay. I resized the photo with shrinkphoto.com. Removed the spring-loaded table leg to allow for more storage room under dinette bed. This will always be made into a bed since we cook/eat/clean up outside.

Edit: added the picture - techntrek

Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe

Post Options Post Options   Quote francoisfrogpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:37pm
Thanks techntrek for taking care of my posts. You're very kind to us newbies!
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:16am
I think we all have had the "short drain hose" problem at one time or another, usually on a crowded holiday weekend. We solved it by carrying 2-15' hoses, stored in a 6 1/2' long, white PVC 5" square tube,(with caps and reflectors) mounted to the tongue through the same holes as the original short factory tube. It took one day to build and total cost was about $70. We even put a piece of modified white PVC gutter inside that acts like a drawer, allowing us to "lay" the hose in place rather than to trying to compress it by pushing it in the tube. By the way we also carry 2-25 foot fresh water hoses (and a 12' hose, and "Y", to clean out the black water holding tank)along with a 25', #10 wire extension for the "shore power". We have never had to stretch out both drain hoses or electric cables, but we did need both fresh water hoses once. Sorry I can't send any pictures, pod is under the cover for another month or two.    
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 52>