R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:08pm
I completed the awning I was building for my R-Pod. Pictures are available in my mods (link below).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote grand beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:16pm
.........added a shelf for the corner...........simple addition of a garbage can off the floor below the fridge.......clear shoe storage hanger repurposed for the bathroom door!.....
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 10:14pm
We used that exact same shoe organizer on our pod's door - just on the outside.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ron/roscoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ron/roscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:15am
FR says there is no vent cover that will fit the fan in the bath ceiling.  My dealer tried two different covers but they hit the TV antenna.  We leave the fan open about a third of the way up, we close the shower curtain all around the door to keep rain water off the door.  We open the grey after drain to the outside to drain any rainwater.  It works.
Ron Rowland
Marco T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:23pm
Modding seems like it's half the fun when podding!  Here's what I've done/added so far, but we haven't done any substantial trips yet so I am sure I will come up with more mods to add to the list Tongue

- replaced the Group 24 battery with two Group 27 AGM batteries (formerly used as telco batteries, reconditioned and $80CDN each)
- added 72W solar over four panels and a charge controller.  The four panels are each only 1ft wide, so they are easy to store in the pass-thru storage.  The whole kit was $188CDN.  I will test it this weekend with the new batteries, but I don't expect it will fully charge the system very quickly, but it should give us a buffer for the 2-3 days at a time we'll be away from power.
- added a 12V port and I use it for checking the battery voltage.  I also wired up an analog volt meter I had laying around and mounted that.
- added a 400W inverter that came with the solar panels
- I replaced the drawers in the kitchen with deeper drawers, going from 17" depth to 22.5" depth.  There was a lot of wasted space back there.
- Added legs to a cutting board to cover the cook top.
- I wired the audio-out on the television to the auxiliary plug on the entertainment unit so all sound goes through the speakers.  I also got an HDMI extension cord and can easily plug in an Android G-Box or any other HDMI device.  This allows me to download youtube videos for the kids or to play movies from a USB stick on the TV if we need to.  With such a small space and three kids under 10 I figured we'd better be prepared for multiple rainy days in a row LOL
- also added a Husky WD Hitch and then I added a lower drop hitch to that so I could get the right angle on the trailer when towing.  At the lowest mounting point the trailer was still tilted up a little and we had a bit of sway.
- some other accessories include a hitch lock, a bunch of plastic storage containers that fit well in the various compartments, a handful of 3M hooks, a couple of magnet bars from IKEA to keep things in place around the kitchen sink, a foam topper for the mattress from Costco, and a few little organizers/dividers for drawers and other storage areas to keep small items in their places.

Can't wait for our big trip starting later this month!  Banff, Okanagan, Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, Couer d'Alene, Waterton ~ 5500kms/3400miles.
The Tri-podders
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel - 5.7L Hemi
2015 R-pod 176T
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Marco T

Modding seems like it's half the fun when podding!  Here's what I've done/added so far, but we haven't done any substantial trips yet so I am sure I will come up with more mods to add to the list Tongue

Agreed! Big smile

- I replaced the drawers in the kitchen with deeper drawers, going from 17" depth to 22.5" depth.  There was a lot of wasted space back there.
- Added legs to a cutting board to cover the cook top.

These are also on my list of things to do soon. I have the cutting board. Do you have a picture of how you did yours? I built a drawer for the kitchen in our house, so building two new ones for the R-Pod should not be too hard. I can't replace the top drawer because of the "P" trap for the kitchen sink. (see my mods) The new sink's drain is not set as far back as that of the original sink, so I don't have room to extend the top drawer. The middle and bottom ones are a different matter. I also want to put some kind of protection over the lower drawers in case the sink leaks. We had that happen when the R-Pod was new and it leaked into the middle and bottom drawers. I was not happy about that. Angry It damaged two brand-new cookbooks that were in the middle drawer. Even though I was able to dry them (and everything else) out, it should not have happened in the first place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:35pm
Hey Marco,  Did you say that you wired an audio out from the tv/radio/DVD CD player?  I couldn't figure out how to run battery operated external speakers from the unit.  Could you explain how you did it?  My unit doesn't have any audio out outlets. Ouch  Jobwabe
Marco T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 10:33pm
Sorry for the delay, I've been coaching all weekend for my little girls' soccer tournament.

StephenH - sorry to hear about the damaged cookbooks. Luckily we won't have that same issue in the 176T as the drawers are under the cooktop.  Here's my cutting board.  I had some rubber feet and some dowel, so I cut the dowel to the height I wanted and drilled a pilot hole through the dowel and into the cutting board and then drove a screw through the dowel into the cutting board.

I still take it off the counter when we travel and put it on the bed when we travel in case it feels like going for a walk LOL

Jowabe - all I did was run a cable from the RCA audio ports on the back of the TV to the front of the Jensen unit and the AUX AV/IN port.  I then set the TV to only use the external speakers and not the TV speakers.  You need to crank it up a bit more, but it sounds way better.  It's not pretty, but I'll do a better job of running the cable later.  

Also, here are my larger drawers:

I'm really happy we can fit our dividers in there now.  One more small thing in this picture that I adjusted was the brown divider at the end of the bench.  It was a little high and was going to rip off with the kids jumping on and off of there.  It's still high enough to hold the seat cushion in place, but low enough that your butt doesn't hit it when you slide out of the seat Tongue
The Tri-podders
2015 R-pod 176T
Marco T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 10:43pm
Oh yeah, almost forgot - my wife had me remove the frog and fish decals this week.  Now I guess that means I get to look at custom decals!  I also removed the Zamp and Nitrogen stickers as they were peeling already.  

How do you like my wheel covers - I cut an old BBQ cover in half after I had trouble finding the right sized covers in stock locally.  Now I think I'll just use my ugly covers until they are no longer useful Smile

If you look closely you can also see my awkward arrangement of my battery boxes.  They are secure, but two wouldn't fit side by side so one is raised and at an angle.

m
The Tri-podders
2015 R-pod 176T
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the reply to my question.  Bummer though 'cuz my entertainment component doesn't have any audio outs.  Does anyone know how to wire out audio from the internals?  I tried a quick splice from internal speakers with no success...I wonder what I did wrong as I'm no newbie to wiring.  Jobwabe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>