R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote timpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

If anyone has pics of their pod without graphics please post. Id love to see them.

Here are a couple from our Forest River Edition, not great pictures.. the pod is partially under a roof in order to facilitate some work during the wet weather.

2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:15pm
That's quite a blank canvas you have there. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when you are done.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 9:42pm
timpod,

Jeesh. At least put a towel on...

Confused
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
larrys39426 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote larrys39426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:05pm
Some of those mods sound great. Would love to see pics. Could you email them to me at lardor@bellsouth.net? I can tell you which ones I'm most interested in if you have too many to email. Thanks! larrys39426Smile
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:36am
Every single mod I’ve completed so far has been done using the great ideas and instructions found in this forum. Now is my turn to repay you all and share a mod I just completed

Our 2016 178 has 4 inch faux wood molding around the slide out.  From the bottom of the molding to the ceiling there is 9 inches of height and over 6 feet of unused space that would easily accommodate an additional storage cabinet.

I built a cabinet carcass 4 inches deep by 6 feet long from the 3/8 inch plywood that I saved when I rebuilt the dinette seats with ¾ inch plywood.  The cabinet, divided into four equal sections, is 8 inches tall in order to clear the ceiling mounted speaker and the curvature of the roof in the rear.  The back is made from ¼ inch plywood.

The face frame is made with ¾ inch clear pine using pocket screws and glue.

Before assembling the cabinet I stained and finished the inside and back panels.  

I don’t know what the color scheme our 178 is.  All I really know is that the faux wood molding and woodwork are a muddy grey brown color that's near impossible to find a matching stain.  I tried to get close to the color by first staining the wood brown then applying a grey stain over it.  The results don’t match. The best I can say about the color is that it kinda close.

On the back side of the cabinet I fastened a ½ inch thick wood cleat the full length and  4 inches from the bottom.  The cleat will rest on top of the slide out molding to support the weight of the cabinet.

I fastened the cabinet through the back and the molding with 1 inch screws.  The molding itself is fastened to ¾ inch MDF.  The doors are made from 1x3 clear pine glued up to create a solid panel.  This was cheaper than buying a 1x8 and ripping it to size.  The flush mounting overlay hinges and handles were both available at Lowes.  I purchased the cabinet catches from a local RV supply store.

Now, having completed this mod, if I were to ever do it again I would:
1. Build the cabinet 6 inches deep instead of 4.  I was too far into the project to change the size when I realized it could/should be deeper.
2. The original plan was to use the spring loaded door supports on the cabinet.  There is 5 ½ inches of height inside the face frame.  It turned out that this just wasn’t enough height for the supports to work properly.  So, I would make the upper and lower frame rails smaller to get an opening at least 6 inches or better.

Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Retroactive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Retroactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:04am
Wow, great job! Visually fits right in. Very slick looking.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:38pm
Nice
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:57pm
Thanks for the feedback. It was a challanging project and we're still waiting for better weather to finally try our pod out.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jewel59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by francoisfrogpod

Today's Mods. Little by little, it is feeling more like our pod everyday.

A little cubby cut into the curb-side dinette bench to allow access.

A spice rack purchased from Ikea, stained and mounted above the valance. On the right is an acrylic magazine holder to hold paper, pens, magazines, etc. This was mounted in our previous RV and I don't remember where I bought it. Likely Office Depot.

Here is the one on the street side. Left a space to hang a picture or something...

Here is the street side shelf with containers hanging on them. The containers were also purchased at Ikea for 99 cents. The are designed to hang from a rail to hold kitchen stuff, but they also fit on the spice rack.

Wow, I know this post goes back pretty far.  I just bought a new 2016 180.  I pick it up on Monday.  I show Chihuahuas.  I love the first picture above.  I wonder if I could create a built in dog crate under the seat?  Dogs of course don't travel in trailer when in transport.
Scooby's Shack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby's Shack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:24am
When did Forest River issue the recall? Over the last winter the decals on my 2010 151 pealed - actually curled up - and Forest River won't even talk to my dealer or me about it.
Scooby's Shack
2010 R-Pod 151
2005 Jeep Liberty Tow Vehicle
Co-Pilot - Scooby the Terrier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 52>