R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shelpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:21pm
Thanks for the advice.  I reposted in it's own subject.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 3:27pm
You may want to post your question in its own thread so people with that model see the title.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shelpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 12:23pm
I have a 2013 178 and I am considering removing the headbanger cabinet and putting in a better stereo in the wooden shelves by the door.  The previous owner had already put in a bigger 12 V TV/DVD combo but the DVD is not working consistently so I am thinking a DVD/CD/Radio combo would be the best, even possibly the one that is now standard in the units.  Can anyone tell me how much room there is behind the shelf unit? Is it deep enough to mount a 6" unit in there or will I need to build out a face plate? How would you recommend wiring speakers over to the dinette cabinets?  I hate to put holes in the floor unless I have to.  Any insights would be appreciated.
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grandpa Hiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:25am
Jobwabe,
Do you have any pictures of what you did underneath your pod? 
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:29pm
I'll be interested to see the long-term mpg results!  Sounds like you did what the big-rigs do.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
On our 177 pod I added-

a 250 lb hitch weight rated towing tension bar

1/8 in plywood "floor: for A frame to keep wood blocks, hitching accessories. And for air flow??
propane gas gauge.

Replaced battery with 2 golf cart (true deep cycle)6 volt, in-series, batteries.

Added 2 100W Solar Panels on roof-1 ahead of AC unit, 1 behind (over cut-shorter shower vent).

Rear view night vision camera mounted in spare tire frame plate.

Bike rack mounts on spare tire.

Made back stabilizers removable for off-road uneven ground situations-they're kept in rear storage.

3" foam topper on bed.

Replaced above bed blinds with curtains.

Wired in 12 volts to 1000W DC/AC converter twin socket in order to run laptop(or whatever) from DC and I keep it in cabinet above entertainment center.

DeadTrying to figure out a way to add my 2 battery operated portable speakers to this Intertek 9901321 DVD player without opening it up and splicing!  Going to wall hook hang them on both sides.  Any help?

Kitchen area- wall hung sponge holder, paper towel holder to opposite walls.  Will be adding a wall mount sink cover holder.

LED light bulbs throughout.

LOL Added thin flexible fiber-plastic-white- (looks like the stuff you see mounted on some gas station or other public restroom stall walls) underneath trailer carriage frame to change all frame or water tank vertical 90 degree angles to approximately 35 degree angles and silicon-ed around all the fiber-board gaps.  Then boarded gap between water tanks and foam insulated both sides of that gap.  All this to created good aerodynamics under carriage. This gave me a minimum of 22 percent increase in documented gas mileage!
Using my 3.3 Litre (6 cylinder) '05 Toyota Highlander with 2 tranny coolers and 1 crankcase oil cooler  I originally documented getting 9.5-10.5 mpg pulling unloaded and dry trailer on flat land with no head winds at 55 mph.  Now with water tank 2/3 full stocked with all gear, including a generator, tools, I get 12.5 mpg -sometimes better, in same speed and conditions!!LOL

Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grandpa Hiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:04pm
I decided to install piano hinges on the plywood under the mattress of my 179 to make it quicker & easier to access the water pump, etc. for winterizing. Imaging my surprise & joy after removing the plywood panel & found a good size unused space between the outside storage compartment & the wardrobe cabinet.

Just days  before I had bought a 2 ton floor jack from Wally World and was trying to figure out where I could store it.

The jack fits perfectly in this new found space. 

Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Jules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 4:51pm
best thing yet is a slide out shelf in the cabinet under the stove.  Now we can actually get at pots and pans without unloading the entire cabinet.  

Memory foam toppers on the bunk mattresses is also a must do.

future holds drawers under the bunks.

Since we are used to tent camping, this is still pretty glamorous to us.

dropkick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dropkick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 2:29am
Originally posted by JandL

Battery cutoff switch
This is what I did to add a battery cutoff switch to my trailer. I used a 50 amp circuit breaker, panel mounted and switchable (Cooper Bussmann #285050P-121-S) and a Flange Mount Panel Gasket for the Circuit Breaker (#B156-7003-J). I ordered them from waytekwire.com. The battery box will fit a group 31; it was the largest I could find that would fit in the existing space (Atwood Marine 9084-1 Large Battery Box). I got it from amazon. I mounted the circuit breaker on the side of the battery box. The wire from the trailer is bolted to one side of the circuit breaker and I made up a short jumper wire that goes from the circuit breaker to the battery. The factory wire runs under the trailer to a factory installed auto reset breaker. I am not a fan of high amp auto reset breakers; if something happens that causes the breaker to trip I want it to stay off till I can find out why it tripped. I took the 2 wires bolted to the auto reset breaker and combined them on one stud, this took the auto reset breaker out of the circuit without having to remove it and was an easy way to splice the wires together. I also coated every exposed connection with Liquid Electrical Tape to insulate and protect the connections under the trailer. It’s available from Home Depot and comes in different colors and the lid has a brush attached. On the circuit breaker is a red button you can press that causes the breaker to open and a yellow reset lever drops down to show you it is off. To reset you push the yellow lever back up. I also removed where the white wire ground wire is attached to the frame and took a 3M sanding disk to remove the paint and reattached the ground wire. I also added 6 gauge jumper wires to tie all the factory ground points on the frame together. Steel is not as good of a conductor as copper is, and then coated the bolts with Liquid Electrical Tape. On the other side of the battery box is where I attached my solar controller for my solar panel (I will write that up in another post)

I did almost those exact same mods! Put in that same kind of breaker tho it's inside the box. Don't really need an external cutoff switch but now it's there if needed, plus now there's an actual protection device at the batteries, not 6 feet downstream.  Have two batteries. Were they wired for proper parallel balance? Of course not!  Cleaned up that mess of a wiring job underneath too.  Ours was just hanging down a good 8 inches waiting to be snagged on something on the road or even driveway, taking the brake wiring with it.  Great QC there.  Also repurposed that auto reset breaker to protect the 12V line to the tow vehicle (tho kept the brakes unfused as is factory, just whatever's in the truck protects that line). And it connects the 2 cables together until I run a bigger one. I'm going to relocate all that junk eventually. No need to expose any of that to the elements.  Yeah the grounded paint and multiple adjacent ground points were a bit of a head shaker too.  Not to mention all the extermely loose ground/negative wires on the busbar under the seat. One of the 6ga just fell out by touching it.  Ugh!  All solid now!
BmacZhillsFL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BmacZhillsFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 4:26pm
Hello we have a 179 and found storage under the cushion on the right hands side facing the unit 
2016 R-Pod 179
2014 Chrysler town and country v6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 52>