R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank fell from r-pod - Event Date: 03 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by StephenH

When I looked closer, the technician had stripped out the hole. That is why he had drilled and put a screw in between the locations for the original ones. I did not like that, so I purchased six 5/8x24x3" Stainless Steel hex-head bolts, six stainless steel washers, and six stainless steel nylock nuts. On the first bracket, I used the stripped hole to drill through the bracket and frame. On each of the others, I removed one screw and used that hole to drill through. Each got a bolt, washer, and locknut. I would say that this should be a permanent fix. The hard part is trying to drill straight. I didn't always get it perfect, but it is still better than what was in there originally.

That is my main concern about the style of screw they use. Too much potential for the screw or hole to be damaged, by improper installation or repair. As an engineer who has had interaction with our factories about QC issues, their construction method gives me the heebie jeebies. But I'm not screwing with it (pun intended), unless I see a problem this weekend.
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:12am
I checked all the tanks on my 2015 179 yesterday all of the bars that secure the tanks appear to mounted properly that's flush with the frame, however none of the bolts were tight. I took one or more turns on all the bolts to snug them up, being careful not to over tighten not knowing what sort of fastener was on the other side. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:34am
Those are small self tapping screws....there is no fastener on the other side.  I put a real bolt through the center of each bracket.  Drilled a quarter inch hole through each bracket into the center of the frame member.  I recall the top is accessible to put a nut on by reaching around.
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Akula1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:17am
I use to work Safety, and 95% of all safety related equipment, procedures, and safety material is off the blood of others.

Most companies like airlines, auto, and home builders work off of a calculated cost of doing business weighing the cost of safety vs. the percentage of loss of life.

It's sad, but true. :(
2019 R-Pod 190
2019 Colorado LT
Akula1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:09pm
Can't I take each screw out one at a time and dip it in Loc-Tite, and reinsert them to make sure they don't back out?
2019 R-Pod 190
2019 Colorado LT
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Akula1

Can't I take each screw out one at a time and dip it in Loc-Tite, and reinsert them to make sure they don't back out?

You could. But why? The incidence of this happening is very rare. But if it worries you, do what you feel will mitigate it's chances.
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:32pm
A long time ago when someone had posted this issue I went out and looked at my trailer and found the cross bars fit with no gap and 2 self-taping screws in place. Just to add a bit of backup I drilled and tapped the third unused hole for a ¼-20 grade 8 bolt. I also installed a lock washer and a fender washer to spread the load. It was very easy to drill and tap the frame tube; it’s only 1/8” thick.

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by JandL

A long time ago when someone had posted this issue I went out and looked at my trailer and found the cross bars fit with no gap and 2 self-taping screws in place. Just to add a bit of backup I drilled and tapped the third unused hole for a ¼-20 grade 8 bolt. I also installed a lock washer and a fender washer to spread the load. It was very easy to drill and tap the frame tube; it’s only 1/8” thick.

How thick is the wall of the frame tube? Did you counterbore the the bracket?

frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:48pm
I couldn't reuse the hole where the small screw went.  The screw sheared right off and was filling the hole and the remaining one was rusty and likely would shear off also.  Each bracket was also missing a screw that was never installed .So I had to get the drill out to repair the bracket which was getting ready to fall off.  I decided to put in a bolt instead of another small screw.  I then added a bolt through the center of each bracket because....just because....and because I already had the drill out and needed to buy at least one bolt/nut/lockwasher at the hardware store.  I also added the missing screw from the bracket that only had one screw holding it up......and I may have added missing screws from the other brackets as well.  If you overtighten the small self tapping screws they will strip out and not hold. 

Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:06pm
2” wide x 4” high x .120 wall thickness, rectangular tubing, Low-Carbon Steel, welded seam
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>