R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to Run TV on Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Run TV on Battery
    Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
Can anyone tell me how I can watch my Jensen TV/DVD Player that came with my new 2014 Rpod off the battery? Do I need a special cable for that and what kind of cable do I need? How much of the battery does watching a DVD movie take? I do have a 2,800-Running Watts Inverter Portable Generator with Champion Engine that I can watch TV with but I am thinking it will take a lot of gas and be noisy for my neighbors. Any advice is much appreciated-thanks.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 6:33pm
Most of the television combos that come in the pods require AC.  You could use the generator but the better option would be an inverter attached to your battery.  150 watts would give you enough power to watch tv while charging cell phones or a laptop, but not require too many amps at idle or full power from the battery.  It is best to wire it as close to the battery connection as possible, which usually means connecting it behind the converter where the battery leads are connected.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 11:06pm
I wired a 12 volt socket into my converter with only an 18" run. I plug a small inverter into the socket and run small AC electronics off of that. It's good for up to 200 watts, so I'm not positive that it would run the TV. I need to test the TV's draw with my Killawatt meter sometime.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 4:14am
I mounted my invertor under the bed in the front of my 179.   It is less than two feet from where the wiring from the battery hits the circuit breaker under the floor in the left front corner.
I penetrated the floor with a pair of 6AWG wires and tapped power there through an additional breaker I added.
In the 179's case this also puts the invertor on the end of the camper where the TV is.  I also run a CPAP at night so having it under the bed is convenient to plug that in.
I used the pure sine wave Morningstar that techntrek mentioned here, 300 watts is plenty for what I need it to do, didn't use the 1000 watt Sunforce I already owned, it is noisy with the built in fan.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/suresine/

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 8:32am
That Morningstar isn't cheap but it is an awesome inverter.  More than enough power to charge phones, laptops and run the tv, pure sine wave (there are a few things that have problems with modified sine wave, which is what you get with all the cheap inverters), and one of the best features is no fan at all as Budward mentioned.  Just about every other inverter out there uses a fan and eventually those little fans die.

Here's a link to a company that runs a great solar forum, their price for the Morningstar is fair.  http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/moin.html
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 3:29pm
I'm impressed with the Morningstar.   Don't really understand the odd shape but whateverLOL

One thing to note- it isn't "plug and play", no built in AC outlet or DC cig plug cord, you have to wire it up.   Not an issue for me but could be for electrically challenged folk...

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 1:40am
I replaced the Jensen 19" in my 2015 178 with a 24" Insignia on sale at best buy for $119. It has a small "brick" power pack which plugs into AC with an output of 12 volts. I just need to add a 12 volt outlet or hard wire to the 12 volt side of the converter. I already tried it out with a 12 volt adapter plugged into cigarette lighter and it works. 

Much better. TV and larger, works on AC or battery and fits into space in the 178. Some drilling on existing bracket for new holes to match back of larger TV. No need to buy a new bracket. 

My Jensen 19" already has a bad LED crystal. Compare this. TV to the cost of a converter. 
Dan
bonanddoug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 10:29am
I'm working on adding an inverter to my 2015 179.  Budward, do you have any pictures you can post? I am getting the same inverter.  Would have been real nice for FR (or the dealer) to use a 12V television.  Other things that are annoying: the RG cable from the wall jack to the television fell apart due to a poorly crimped connector,  the connection to the DVD is composite(??) video,  with the current setup the television audio doesn't go to the stereo so you are stuck with the tiny television speakers if you use cable or antenna, the swing out bracket has no tilt feature so the picture is unwatchable if you are lying in bed.  I was impressed with the antenna; I got about 30 channels here in Tracy CA which is 70 miles or so from the nearest big city (Sacramento).  I looked at Samsung televisions; they are DC but 14 volts,  not sure why they chose that voltage.
2015 179 HRE
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 12:10pm
Yes, the Samsung's are 14V and that is why I went with the Insignia. 

You can get the TV audio to play on the Jensen sound system. You have to remove the Jensen DVD player and take the red and white RCA connectors on the back of the player [On mine was plugged into output - makes no sense] Simply put them into red and white jacks labeled input. Then select the input selector on the DVD player. 

You hook up output Audio RCA connectors on the TV to the red and white jacks on the wall. I have the 178, 2015. 
Dan
jacqqueandsusan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 4:46pm
Hey ReiMan, is your television just inside the door on the left? I have a 177 and would like to replace my television with the Insignia but am wondering if it will fit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>