R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcorner leaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: corner leaks
    Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 6:50pm
I've had leakage on all 4 corners of my 176 R-Pod.    Nothing too serious, but... nonetheless!!    It was stored outdoors in southern climes last year without a cover.   Could this mean that all of my side seams already need re-caulking?    I've already determined that it will never again be stored for 9 months without a cover.   
Wilma Miedema
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 8:51pm
Welcome.  It absolutely shouldn't be leaking.  Is yours still under warranty?  If it is, have the dealer look at it.  If you are going to look at it you need to peel off the rubber gasket that runs along both edges and look underneath.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 3:58am
Welcome! Smile

I "second" Techntrek's comments.  Also, I include a "caulking/sealer" check with my spring "make ready/de-winterizing" routine.  I usually find something that should be attended to.  After a season of bouncing down the road and then sitting through several freeze/thaw cycles during the winter, a seam or two usually require some touch up. 
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:37pm
David, how do you tell if the seam needs a touch up?
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

David, how do you tell if the seam needs a touch up?
Diane

I go all around the camper and look at all of the seams - corners, around windows, porch light, door, compartment doors, etc.  If I see that any of the caulking/sealant has pulled away from one or both surfaces, I'll repair.  Even small leaks can cause big damage over time.

I hope to get out soon and start working on mine.  If I find something that I can get a good picture of, I'll take one.

On my Pod, after one season, one window and the porch light needed repaired.
wilma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
Bad news is... I'm longer under warrantee and the camper is permanently located 1000 miles from the dealer I purchased it from.   Reason for storage is that, contrary to dealer assurances, it weighs more than my Dodge Caravan can safely handle, even with a tow package.   Good news?   It rained quite a bit today, with no evidence of moisture.   Seems it only happens during really torrential rains.   I'm looking into having someone inspect my rooftop vents, etc. to begin with.

Thanks for the input... I need all the help I can get!
:)
Wilma Miedema
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:06pm
I just checked and it does appear the older Caravans only were rated for 1800 pounds, while the newer ones are rated for the more standard 3600 pounds.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by David

I go all around the camper and look at all of the seams - corners, around windows, porch light, door, compartment doors, etc.  If I see that any of the caulking/sealant has pulled away from one or both surfaces, I'll repair.  Even small leaks can cause big damage over time.

I hope to get out soon and start working on mine.  If I find something that I can get a good picture of, I'll take one.

On my Pod, after one season, one window and the porch light needed repaired.

Do you use any particular kind of caulking?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Do you use any particular kind of caulking?

That's one of those questions that if asked of 10 people, you'll likely get 12-13 opinions. LOL

Personally, I like the "Polyseamseal" brand...it seems to hold up well and have good adhesion.  It is very important to remove the "bad" that you can and get the surfaces 100% clean and free of dirt/oils/waxes, etc.

I've never really cared for silicone, for a variety of reasons.  You can get "Polyseamseal" at most any home/hardware store.  It comes in a standard 11oz. (?) caulking tube (gun required).  I may have seen it in a smaller squeeze type tube????
wilma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:45pm
Wilma Miedema
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>