R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPOD Security Tips ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPOD Security Tips ?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:28am
We are new to RVing with our new RPod to be delivered shortly. I have been looking at all manner of devices that are meant to secure the hitch. Are there recommendations anyone would care to make? Also, I read that the storage compartment locks on RV's may be universal and need upgrading or changing. Any recommendations? We have an open bed truck as the tow vehicle and wonder if anyone has solved the storage/security issue for a truck with something less than a topper or Tonneau cover? Finally, has anyone used the LED battery powered motion lights for the outside of the Pod?

While I understand that if thieves want to strike, they will. I just like the idea of slowing them down as much as possible and making them work for it!

Any and all replies are much appreciated in advance!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 12:09pm
Most of what you said is true regarding the locks - they are not very secure at all and the keys are common.  In the case of storage compartments, you don't even need a key.  Just stick a screwdriver in the lock and turn the whole assembly.  The door locks are simple "wafer" locks that are easily picked.  However picking takes too much time for a thief.  It's quicker to just pry the door open...who cares if the door frame gets bent?

You are right, the most you can hope for is to slow them down and make them work a little bit.  I don't know of any practical way to answer your question that would leave your Pod visually pleasing.  For the tongue, I just use a regular padlock.

I do use a lock on my receiver/ball on my truck.  They are very quick/easy to take, several dollars to replace, and you can't leave the campground without 'em!

PS - I'm an ex-cop and also an ex-locksmith.

I wasn't quite as handsome back then as I am now!  LOL
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 12:43pm
     For the storage compartment doors I left the original locks that work with a key on. But the turn lock without key I replaced with a small combination lock, I think it was called a cam lock. If you go to the rpod nation web site you could find it useing the search function or check the modification posts. With both locks on each side it less likely to be pried open. But if a thief wanted too, they could pry it open useing a tool. We use a hitch lock while being parked in our driveway. We have insurance that is our last protection.     David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rabuol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 3:14pm
Hello Marshwatcher,

Here is what we replaced the locks with:

and this is what we use as an adjustable hitch:

and this is what we lock our trailer with:

http://www.bumpkeyshop.com/Master-Bump-Key/            notice that it's bump proof

Lou
Lou
rabuol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
Update:

the bump proof Master lock is used on the receiver/hitch...not he door

http://www.bumpkeyshop.com/Master-Bump-Key/

Lou
Lou
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 4:27pm

You can also add a coupler lock, which effectively fills up the cup where the ball resides.  However, thieves have been known to just drive up, wrap the security chains around a few times and drive off even with one of them in place.  Another option is a wheel lock, which will immobilize the wheel.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by techntrek

You can also add a coupler lock, which effectively fills up the cup where the ball resides.  However, thieves have been known to just drive up, wrap the security chains around a few times and drive off even with one of them in place.  Another option is a wheel lock, which will immobilize the wheel.

Then add locking lug nuts too.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:01am
Great suggestions! One thing I did find out is that camping safety statistics are hard to come by. However, the instance of "serious crime"(not specifically defined in the information) is 1 in 25000.

I believe it is pretty safe out there but maybe the very best defense is getting to know your RVing neighbors and watching out for one another!

I just despise thievery! I know it happens but it makes me
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:05am
David,

Maybe you should give a safety seminar at the next RPOD get together. HMMMMM...don't you love it when people volunteer you for something.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:48am
I've heard rare examples of theft of lawn chairs and bicycles while a trailer is setup for camping, but thats it.  I've found campgrounds in general to be very safe and other campers tend to keep a watchful eye.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned that something will be stolen while parked in your driveway or a storage lot or while parked at a mall en route.

Although I've changed locks and added padlocks (coupler hasp and receiver pin) and a coupler lock, there's really only so much you can do.  When it comes down to it, the trailer and contents are insured should thieves come calling.

-edit-

Actually, we got into a huge fight over locking the trailer door.  While we were camping, I was locking both locks on the trailer door (the handle and the bolt).  Aparantly, this was beyond the pale; I was told (screamed at) that I was far too paranoid.  In retrospect, perhaps I was overdoing it.  We only lock the bolt now and things are much more amicable.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>