R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KJR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 1:18am

Hi Theresa,

Do you have the largest V6 engine Hyundai offers in the Santa Fe. What is your range towing your Rpod?
Did you have an auxiliary transmission cooler installed? Was it easy to get the hitch and brake controller installed?

I'm looking for a tow vehicle. I'm pricing out pre-owned Toyota 4Runner V8, Trailblazer, Explorers but hadn't given a thought to a Santa Fe.

Got any photos of your Rpod hitched up to your Santa Fe?  

Thanks

Kelvin
Originally posted by tdrace

I tow my r-pod with a Hyundai Santa Fe with a v-6 2 wheel drive. I have no problem towing the r-pod anywhere. I actually went up an 8% grade in the mountains and it did not struggle. I normally drive 60-65 on the interstate and get around 12 miles to a gallon. After hearing all about the wind resistance I think we are getting a little hung up on it. I have been very pleased with my tv and I am taking it to the Rockies next summer. Several people have been thru the Rockies with a V6, no problem. Anything taller than your tow vehicle is going to have wind resistance. You might want to check out Airstream's site, they have a wind study on their trailers.  Best of Luck on your choice of RV!
Theresa
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Interesting.  Usually they just say "turn off overdrive".  Never heard of having to manually handle the gears.  Have you tried to let it shift on its own?  As long as it doesn't hunt up and down a lot you should be OK.  I've found I need to manually downshift to 2nd on hills to keep mine from constantly hunting, but otherwise I let it do its own thing.

Wow, I go to LA for the weekend and this thread takes off again!   I don't have an overdrive on my Tacoma to turn off and on.  I have tried letting the automatic do it's thing and it's fine in town, but on the freeway, it tries to shift into 4th gear and I lose power fast!   It really is best leaving it in 3rd and going 60ish than letting the automatic try and shift into the last gear.

-Runebane
RP-177
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 10:21pm
I tow my r-pod with a Hyundai Santa Fe with a v-6 2 wheel drive. I have no problem towing the r-pod anywhere. I actually went up an 8% grade in the mountains and it did not struggle. I normally drive 60-65 on the interstate and get around 12 miles to a gallon. After hearing all about the wind resistance I think we are getting a little hung up on it. I have been very pleased with my tv and I am taking it to the Rockies next summer. Several people have been thru the Rockies with a V6, no problem. Anything taller than your tow vehicle is going to have wind resistance. You might want to check out Airstream's site, they have a wind study on their trailers.  Best of Luck on your choice of RV!
Theresa
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 4:15pm
    TIDALWAVE I think that you were misled about the AC's they have all been roof mounted. We owned a I-camp for a short while with the AC unit mounted inside. I have thought about it being mounted inside the R-Pod. The problem with the I-camp it was mounted next to the bed and it made a little to much noise for sleeping. Perhaps someone who owns a Rpod without the AC unit could give a response of their MPG.      David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:51pm
I have a 2009 171 Rpod Built Feb 2009 with the Air Conditionor on the roof.  The difference between the original and updated Air Conditions is that the controls on mine is on the AC Unit not the wall.

Also I'm not complaining at all about the MPG in towing the R-pod.  I always am trying to improve the MPG on my Gas Guzzlers.  My main ride that I use year round is a motorcycle getting a little over 50 MPG.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:58pm
Never heard of that.  There was an older style A/C unit the first year which didn't have the wall thermostat, but the A/C unit was virtually identical.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:01pm
[I was told that originally R-Pods came with the A/C built into the interior of the Pod. I was wondering if anyone on this forum owns one and what their mileage might be compared to owners
of the new version with roof top A/C?

[/QUOTE]
I like your last question...looking forward to hearing someone's experience.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:51pm
This is a followup to my airflow simulation animations shown on P11 of this forum topic as suggested by several members.

I still cannot seem to get my Youtube animations to automatically connect to this forum...so
again I am posting the URL addresses...you will have to copy/paste the Youtube addresses to see the animations.

My pickup truck with a topper and a large rear airfoil attached to the rear of the Pod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez648wa8vrw

The same set-up but with a rear spoiler attached to the rear of the truck plus a large airfoil
attached to the rear of the Pod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJ6gfcSj8c

I have looked at all of the simulations a few times...it appears that adding spoilers to the tow vehicle and/or spoilers/foils to the Pod does not change the flow disruption-vacuum produced by the roof A/C by more than a small amount.

I was told that originally R-Pods came with the A/C built into the interior of the Pod. I was wondering if anyone on this forum owns one and what their mileage might be compared to owners
of the new version with roof top A/C?
TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Gone to Pod

I'm also watching this issue closely.  I have not bought yet and this is an issue to me.  I have been to the dealer and we have settled on the 175 but are waiting to see if FR "cares" enough about their current and potentially new customers enough to fix this or even reply here so we know they are trying to fix it.  This could be the deciding factor on the R-Pod or any other FR product.  If they won't address this issue how can I trust they will care about any other issues that come up.  When I worked in retail we had a saying, "a happy customer will tell one other person, an unhappy customer will tell 10".  From the looks of this thread we are telling more than 10.
Also, welcome Gone to Pod!  Please feel free to post often Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by tma-333

Far from having any expertise in the measurement of air resistance, I can only rely on and relate personal experiences.  Just a month ago I was towing a full size Prowler which was 8' wide by 23 long weighing in a 4000lbs and now I am towing an RP-177  that is 6' wide,, 17' long weighing in at 3000lbs. Although accelaration with the R-Pod is better, I do feel the «air brake» as described by others when I get to the 50-55 mph range.  Evidently, the frontal area, as well as the rear for that matter would be much less.  Height is the same to within a few inches, the a/c is slightly lower profile on the R-Pod.

Also, as a new owner and newcomer to the R-POd forum, I don't know if FR gets involved with the forum, if the information is forwarded by forum moderators or if indivudual owners should all be sending their own info to FR.  I would think FR would be interested if not concerned that these kinds of customers complaints/frustrations/preoccupations are being discussed.  I know if I was in their shoes, I would want to know and would want the opportunity to respond and prove that the issue will be addressed.

At the very least, the efforts of a handfull of individual owners trying to address this issue may benefit all existing owners and future ones.  Especially if FR gets on board in a serious way to correct this issue and communicates their efforts to its owners, as we are doing.

We deserve that much! 

Welcome tma-333!  Personal experience is all most of us have - at least no one has stepped forward and declared themselves a highly educated, professional rocket scientist.  Your input is as good and valued as any other, so feel free.
Also, Tidalwave - thanks for the efforts that you are doing.  You probably already knew, but here is the kind of airfoils that I am talking about (only turned upside down to direct air down the back of the Pod). 

I totally agree that something like this would need to mounted robustly.  If it catches enough air to do any good, it's going to see a large aero load.  Placement (height and on the curve of the rear of the Pod) would be critical to help the problem with minimal drag. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>