R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Issue
    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
GlueGuy your absolutely correct, my bad sorry. Why I wrote HIGH resistance when I was writing my post and thinking LOW is beyond me? They make specific meter for reading very low resistance and they are great when trying to trace out a short, wish I owned one. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by GlibGuy

Originally posted by Iceworm

Was the controller the problem. I had a situation as you described and after checking voltages, tensioners at brake etc. Noticed a wire broke off of the crimped connector just a few inches outside of the brake housing. Fixed with butt splice connector and full brakes again. About a week later same thing happened to the second wire. Just got back from trip from Penna. to Alaska. I will cut the factory splices off the other brake and replace with butt splices sealed with silicone soon.

I haven't completed my findings.  I assumed it was the controller but sounds like I need to check for connections around the brake housing(s).  I'll post results at some point.

Well I ended up with a broken wire and more.  I tried to repair the wire but ended up having to have a new wire run AND the electric brake assembly replaced on one side!  I just returned from a 3600 mile trip and the brakes* worked perfectly.
*And everything else - almost two weeks of dry camping.
MICK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234