R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment - Event Date: 29 Mar 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: My adding inverter plans - Pls review and comment
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Some additional information to clarify. I opened the 110vcircuit breaker on the converter to NOT charge batteries from 110V (that would just be a loop where the inverter will take 15% as overhead to the process)  Running two batteries one at a time does not make sense me IMHO: 1) you have to monitor and then change connections.  2) better to have run two batteries down to 75% than 1 to 50% and the charge back up.

A 400W inverter is not that big. probably can only run the TV, Radio, very small appliances.  My microwave pulls 680watts, so probably a no go with your inverter.  My inverter is 1200 watts - large enough for the microwave for about 17 min using both batteries down to 50%.  I run my refrig on propane when dry camping. It uses too much power for my battery solution.  

Putting a pencil to the demand on your battery.  Rough estimating:  1500 watts = ~ 15amp @120v, So 400watts is ~ 4amps @ 120v.  Convert to 12v, a factor ~10.  4 amps becomes 40amps @ 12V.  If each of your batteries are approx. 80Ahrs capacity, you probably have less than 1hr at 400watt load each -  after adding inverter overhead.  Doing an internet search on "Converting AC amps to 12V DC amp" yield a lot of help with the math to refine this calculation.  

Hope this helps. 
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
tjdmobile View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:00pm
Please forgive me if I missed anything in all of this how you connected these devices.  Are you running your inverter at the batteries and then running the power output from the inverter into the plug-in on the side of the Rpod?  If so, is there loss because the power converter is trying to charge the batteries with power from the Inverter?  

I have definitely been trying to figure out the best way to run (of all things) the Television while we are dry camping this year.  I have the Renogy 100 Suitcase solar panels which I am connecting directly to the battery.  I say battery, because while I got a pair of 12V Marine batteries from the dealer, I understand that I am better off not having them in parallel and running one at a time.  I have a 400W sine wave inverter.  It seems to use a lot of power from the battery.  I am hoping to be able to get enough juice this way to run things without having to ever turn on the 3000 W Inverter Generator we bought last year...except for running the oven or the AC.

Anyway, love thinking about dry camping with ability to use fan, TV and LED lights inside without using the generator and charging with my solar daily...
2018 R-Pod 179
2014 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:04pm
The same quantity of Herradura Reposada tequila.  No ice needed.  Even better. ;--)

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 2:18pm
I'm glad it worked for you. Given my prior experience with the generator and the convection/microwave, I would not have expected it to work. I'm happy to admit I was a bit too skeptical. Congratulations!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:00pm
Aaahh! So true, so true! If I was only closer to KY. 

Makes me want to pack up and head out. Agreed, can't go cheap. No marg mixers. I use Don Julio blanca and Grand Marnier. For slow sipping, my Innsbruck connection brings home-made Austrian schnapps. I count my many blessings gazing at the milky way.
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:50pm
It's a lot to go through.. considering perfection is reached with 3 fingers of good bourbon and 2 pieces of ice...

Tongue

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:43pm
Glad to know you are going to enjoy your margaritas.  We make them with hand crushed chunky ice so only muscle power is needed.  The key to a good margarita, good tequila and fresh lime juice and the right amount of Contreau or triple sec.  No cheap tequila and no margarita mix.  My personal favorite is Herradura Reposada, but it's really better just to drink straight.  But sip it and savor it like a good Irish whisky.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:24pm

My final test! With a 1200Watt inverter hooked up, I fired up the microwave that came with my 178 to find out that no matter what setting: Popcorn, Beverage, P10 power, the highest draw was 660 to 680 watts off the inverter. What a surprise since the device is rated for 1500 watts. Note: I am NOT using the grill or convection oven.  This solves a lot of problems!!

So with my two marine 12v DC24 batteries, I get approx. 18 min of microwave and stayed above 56% battery level. That’s easy instructions to measure. And, there’s plenty of power to run my blender for frozen margaritas enough to blind most of my camping comrades. Add to this solution, my 120W solar can put back ~25% of my total battery capacity per day, so with a little monitoring all can go well for days of dry camping.

Summary things I learned: 1) Manage demand, this is not a shore power solution. Try to stay below inverter power of 1200w to keep from using giant battery cables. 2) Use a 3 to 2 prong 110v adapter to remove the 3 prong ground from the inverter – address grounded / grounding. 3) Test your intended demand as it may be different than you think. 4) Watch resting battery voltage and stay above 12.25v to length battery life, but if a deep cycle demand is needed, well you get a few dozen before it’s new battery time. So why not!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by voisj

While travelling in Death Valley a few weeks ago...

Maybe the lesson is that anything is possible but at just 6 of these batteries, an inverter, a 400w solar system, that's roughly $2200 for batteries, $270 for an inverter, $500 for the solar, and at least $100 for wire, connectors and other doodads, you're north of $3000.  At 123 pounds each, just the batteries are 738 pounds....

If you want to spend the winter in Death Valley and you want to spend that much on electricity, okay.  You still have to deal with water, sewage, trash, food, etc., so it's not like you're totally self-suffient on site though.

Whatever floats your boat.  This doesn't seem like a very practical way to go, especially in terms of versatility.  Death Valley gets a lot of sun.  Pods have wheels, so they are meant to travel to many locations, not all of which have a lot of consistent sun.  For a lot less, a relatively quiet generator works rain or shine, night or day (except quiet hours).

Of course Blender Bob isn't talking about an induction stove top so he won't have to spend this much money.  If he can make it work, great.  The versatility of a generator is still hard to beat in my opinion.

I have a 100w solar system I take when I'm going somewhere sunny.  I leave it at home if I'm going to, say, the Smokies.  Shade is nice in the summer.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Blender Bob

Thanks Voisj for your story and suggestions.
If you liked that story I have 1 more for you.
While travelling in Death Valley a few weeks ago, I ran into a guy wintering there from Alaska. He had built his own mini trailer about 12' long and He had 6 ( or 8?) of these (I think it was these) 6 volt 428 amp hour batteries,
 and a 600+ watt solar set up on the roof. His furnace and water heater (Tankless) were the only gas items He had, everything else was electric including his induction cooktop. He even had a small window type A/C unit to keep it cool, And it worked well.
@ $370 apiece It seems steep, but it can be done, I've seen it. 
What if you just had 2?,  you may be able to make Margaritas and power up the microwave occasionally? I think for $700 two of these may be good for a serious boondocker.
Cheers John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>