R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Frame replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame replacement?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 12:41pm
At this point, I am leaning toward newer and then with full disclosure, selling our 179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 11:55am
Oh no! marital strife! Maybe if you each know what you like and dislike about each of those models, something can be worked out?

So you Rpod is 7 years old, and it sounds like there are some serious structural issues. I don't know, but surely part of the evaluation is that you may only have 3-5 more years of useful life to it? If it's at all possible, you should see if you can get some estimates for the repair and then run a comparison between a (for example) 5 more years in the Rpod, versus 10-12 more years in something newer?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 10:30am
On our last trip out west, we bent the frame when we went onto a pull-off that was extremely rutted when the ruts were not visible as we approached. We got home and we did have the frame straightened and welded. However, I don't feel comfortable with the frame since the welder could not get to both sides to weld plates on and of course, did not lift the body off to weld the top. Is it possible to lift the body off and replace the frame?  Has anyone heard of that being done? I would assume that it would be an expensive proposition, perhaps more than the value of the trailer to have done. Along with the bent frame comes a sagging floor in spite of having outriggers as they failed (metal tore along fold line). I raised it up and added more outriggers but it is still sagging and there is a noticeable difference inside where it bends down toward the wall. I am assuming this would mean the floor would need to be replaced also. 

Opinions: Would repairs cost more than the trailer is worth? I can't say it is warranty, since it did happen when we hit really rough terrain. I have not idea of what it would cost to have these repairs done. If It did go to the factory, it would be the second trip for repairs.

We went to an RV show yesterday and saw some really nice new trailers. Unfortunately, no RPods were there, but there were some NoBo models as well as other Forest River products. There were some pretty nice other than FR products there too. However, current pricing is rather steep. There was one model I liked but my wife didn't. Likewise, there was one I liked that she didn't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345