R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Brake Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brake Issue
    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:58pm
I’ll agree with mcarter on this. I was unable to find a wiring diagram for the rPod but I never really looked too hard as I know all electric brake systems are the same, just different colored wires. It’s extremely rare that the brake controller or socket connection fails but it’s also somewhat common that the connection at the hub does fail. I’ve fixed my brakes on this trailer twice in about 40,000 miles. My previous trailer, which was a tandem, I had to fix twice as well in about the same mileage. I am in the habit of occasionally locking up the trailer brakes in grassy areas or on wet pavement, using the controller, to verify both sides are functioning properly.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 7:06pm
DavMar, there is no such thing. Guys like ChetC and me learned this from crawling under our pods and doing some work. Your 7 pin connector is standard and I have added the diagram to this forum (just lately). The OP is right, Pods are very similar, he's right on the colors and BTW there isn't too many wires going into the brake hubs. The brake controller signal comes from position 7 on your connector as you look at it with the alignment lug at 12 o'clock position. BTW that wire is blue. If there was a good wiring diagram we'd all have it, until then we teach ourselves and we learn. Personally I have taken the time to find out what each of the 7 pins does and where it goes. Why - because the wiring color changes as it goes aft on Pod in some cases. Bottom line is the wiring diagram I have, I made. AND it is a valuable tool and it was a great lesson to learn how my RV is wired.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by ChetC

Anytime you have a brake issue with your trailer, the first place you should check is the wiring coming at the axle/hub as it is prone to failure from vibration/debris.  Most often, it is one of the lighter gauge green wires from the hub that breaks at the connector.

All very good information but it would be even better if you could point us all to a schematic (wiring diagram) of this information. It would be great to be able to print it out and have a hard copy to carry and help in troubleshooting.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 12:15pm
Anytime you have a brake issue with your trailer, the first place you should check is the wiring coming at the axle/hub as it is prone to failure from vibration/debris.  Most often, it is one of the lighter gauge green wires from the hub that breaks at the connector.

To check (wire color is based on my rPod 180 but regardless of color, the setup should be the same on all rPods): 
There are two green wires coming out of the hub on each side.  On the drivers side, there will also be two pairs of white/whiteblack (or white with a black tracer, if you prefer) and on the passenger side just one white/whiteblack pair.

The white/whiteblack pairs are a postive (whiteblack) and a ground (white).  On the driver's side, both white wires should be attached to one of the green wires from the hub.  It does not matter which green wire as they are simply activating a magnet and it does not care which direction current is flowing.  Both whiteblack wires should be attached to the other green wire.  There are two pairs on the driver side because one white/whiteblack pair is what feeds the brake on the passenger side.

On the passenger side, make sure the white is to one green wire and the whiteblack to the other.

They will fail at some point, it's the nature of the beast.  Once that happens, I, myself, eliminate all the crimp connectors and solder the connections which I then shrinkwrap and tape for good measure.  Even that, however is not foolproof as all it takes is one random piece of debris to hit a wire just right and it's severed, not to mention the constant vibration as you travel down the road.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:02pm
GM in my opinion is light years behind Ford. My 2016 had the brake controller wiring under the drivers floor pad and I had to hard wire in the P3 wiring to mate to the controller. My 2006 Silverado was plug and play with right interface cable. Neither was adaptable to an integrated controller. Which BTW is not offered.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Adding the integrated controller is a good idea, I wish I could have done that.
if you can; then do. The Teconsha controller was "OK". However the integrated controller was only about $20 more expensive, and I really prefer the way it is integrated into the dash. Plus it's the status & operation are accessible through the controls on the steering wheel. Way more useful for not a lot more greckles.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:14am
Adding the integrated controller is a good idea, I wish I could have done that.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by mcarter

Well that would be good if the OP had a Ford. He doesn't he has a Chevy, God Bless you Ford owners , huh?
My assumption would be that Ford, Chevy, and Ram all have similar setups. Maybe not? Dunno. Just what I was thinking.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Iceworm

Was the controller the problem. I had a situation as you described and after checking voltages, tensioners at brake etc. Noticed a wire broke off of the crimped connector just a few inches outside of the brake housing. Fixed with butt splice connector and full brakes again. About a week later same thing happened to the second wire. Just got back from trip from Penna. to Alaska. I will cut the factory splices off the other brake and replace with butt splices sealed with silicone soon.

I haven't completed my findings.  I assumed it was the controller but sounds like I need to check for connections around the brake housing(s).  I'll post results at some point.
MICK
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:51am
Iceworm, we had a similar problem with the broken wire.  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>